Who Knows ?

LASBUR

Does anyone know if Jake can throw the deep ball ? I read all these expert opinion and yet know one seems to know if its on the QB or not. I don't know, But if anyone does speak up. Jon spoke to the subject last year but doesn't seem to want to this year. The guy to ask Ed P. He goes to the practices. Anyone ????

This is a great question. The message boards in general have reached the conclusion that Jake does not have a strong arm, especially compared to his backup. I would very much like to see some evidence of that...or, is it just another message board myth? Now, we have seen some bad throws on the rare times he has gone deep. But, I am not talking about his accuracy. I want to know how WE know that he does not have a strong arm. Yes, I have seen every game Jake has played in at Iowa, home and away, in the stadium. I also re-watch nearly all of our games on TV. Bottom line is, I don't know the answer to Lasbur's very interesting question.

Doc it would really help me form a opinion on things if I knew. The only thing I know for sure is he hasn't proved it yet.

I think a more important question would be can he make all the throws. If the answer is he can't then he will never be anything more than a game manager and really shouldn't be asked to do much other than not screw it up for the running game and the defense.

WAITING FOR THE DEEP BALL
1016918_169848423202267_1441551934_n.jpg

I'm torn at this time. I honestly don't know if its the fact JR doesn't have the arm, checks down to quickly, or simply is afraid to make anything other than the safe throw. t seems like this year, since he's found himself as a contributing factor to our nonexistent running game, I've seen very little pocket presence and a QB that is looking to tuck the ball rather than step up in the pocket and look down field. Nothing against JR, but I grow very tired of watching him try to stretch the chains with his feet on 3rd and long.

At least last year he would throw it. Didn't complete much. But he took the shot. This year he doesn't even throw it ? Surly they don't tell him not to. I just don't belive that.

I think it's a ******** internet myth backed by very little actual truth. Does Goldie lox sex cannon maybe have a little stronger arm? Yeah, sure, if everyone says so. Can both of them likely throw it 60 yards? Yeah probably. I know I watched both of them throw deep balls in a drill at the Des Moines practice this summer and both were throwing it fifty yards, both looked similar. Jake wasn't opting out of the ******* drill because he could only throw it thirty yards.

MHA Why cant he do it in a game then ? Confidence ? I mean this is what the offense is missing. That and a rotation of JC & MW at running back

At the spring game, it was obvious that Jake still struggled to throw deep against a wind...ball fluttered and ended up being picked. Exactly like the MSU game last year when Jake threw one against the wind and Dennard ended up just waiting under it like a punt.

This year, we have had perfect throwing conditions so far...nice, so Jakes arm strength has not been tested.
At this point, I think it is in Jake's head.
With the naked eye, CJ has a quicker release, ball spins better out of his hand(which is huge for throwing against the wind) and the ball gets there quicker.
That was pretty obvious right away in CJ's only series of the year vs Ball St.
We can win with both, but CJ has the bigger arm. Give him a chance.

I think 45-50 yards is his extended deep throw length.

But deep throws are as much about throwing the ball on time before the safety can get there or the dback can make up ground.

I do know that the laser pass CJB threw to Willies in the spring game was lower, faster a perfectly in stride.

Jake hit the long pass to Willies in the UNI game this year but he has a tendency to underthrow the long pass.

If your receiver is behind everyone I have heard expert analysts say you want to err just on the side of being long.

I think if JR threw on time as he saw receivers breaking open after 20-25 yards downfield he will be fine on the long passes. He needs to find the right combination of loft and touch with speed.

I cant believe our QB coach or coaches havent worked with him a lot of this to know whether he can do it.

I think it's a ******** internet myth backed by very little actual truth. Does Goldie lox sex cannon maybe have a little stronger arm? Yeah, sure, if everyone says so. Can both of them likely throw it 60 yards? Yeah probably. I know I watched both of them throw deep balls in a drill at the Des Moines practice this summer and both were throwing it fifty yards, both looked similar. Jake wasn't opting out of the ******* drill because he could only throw it thirty yards.

Cool story, bro.

Junior year of HS highlights. He can throw the deep ball.

[video=youtube;YyMQ8RoJ6N0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMQ8RoJ6N0[/video]

Has Jake even completed a single ''bomb'' pass in his Iowa career? Maybe he has, but I cannot remember it. Tevaun Smiths big TD vs Michigan was intermediate length and long run, and same with Powells Minny td pass. Davis does not call many, but we have failed to actually connect on any long bombs under Jake.....these are Div 1 qbs....should he go 16 games without a single completed bomb?

Another video showing his ability to throw the deep ball.

[video=youtube;aQ03qoK3KEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ03qoK3KEQ[/video]

Has Jake even completed a single ''bomb'' pass in his Iowa career? Maybe he has, but I cannot remember it. Tevaun Smiths big TD vs Michigan was intermediate length and long run, and same with Powells Minny td pass. Davis does not call many, but we have failed to actually connect on any long bombs under Jake.....these are Div 1 qbs....should he go 16 games without a single completed bomb?
I know he has tried. He just doesn't through it very well. For example, I believe it was against Ball State that Powell was wide open behind the defense and Jake missed badly. I'm not saying JR doesn't have any talent, he does. CJ just throws a better deep ball. It is not an internet myth. Stronger arm or not, he has thrown a better deep ball in game situations. Just a fact. Despite what seem people think, there are receivers running deeper routes, but Jake looks for a half second, and checks down faster than any QB I can remember. Maybe that's what he's told to do. Maybe that's why he plays and CJ doesn't. If that's the case, the coaching staff needs to go.

No we shouldn't go 16 games without a bomb. He has completed a couple I think but he has missed in several. JG10 Just posted a video of HS He seemed to have a Arm. Are the recivers not running good routes. Powell seemed to know where to go for CJ

All you have to do is go to the kids camps in the spring and fall to know that CJ has a significantly stronger arm. Hell, even watch the warm-ups sometime.

CJ throws effortlessly. That rope he threw to Powell 2 weeks ago was a legitimate dart. Jake puts his body into the deep passes and doesn't appear to have very good accuracy on them.

Latest posts