WHO IS THE WORST SPORTS RADIO GUY IN DSM?

I don't care if Cotlar is Mother Theresa in sweatpants.....he sucks on the radio.....

Pro-wrestling?????? that's his niche??

I think Deace is one of the smartest college football minds around.... but this AM when he claimed ISU would beat Penn State, i was completely speechless.
And Jon- I can't beleive you sent with it!?!?! That would be a complete blow out, and I don't care who'd playing QB for Penn St.

Here's the thing..I could argue with him for 15 minutes on a number of topics every day...but some of them are not worth the waste of time, as I dont want to become THAT show. PSU is not a great team this year, and the hypothetical game would be in Ames not in Happy Valley. If I could see ISU winning 3 out of 10 times in that matchup, I am not going to argue with it.

Here's the thing..I could argue with him for 15 minutes on a number of topics every day...but some of them are not worth the waste of time, as I dont want to become THAT show. PSU is not a great team this year, and the hypothetical game would be in Ames not in Happy Valley. If I could see ISU winning 3 out of 10 times in that matchup, I am not going to argue with it.

ISU would have a hard time beating Northern Illinois or Utah 3 out of 10 times. To suggest that ISU, at home, could be within 2 touchdowns of Penn State is laughable.

I love how Deace continues to pimp Arnaud as this great quarterback. While a great kid and human being, Arnaud is a liability at QB, plain and simple. He showed nothing last year that could lead anyone with a fully functioning brain to think he can be a decent QB.

Ya know - it really SUCKS when you are No. 2 overall in your core demo and the No. 1 afternoon sports show in market ... You are so right Crab

Ya know - it really SUCKS when you are No. 2 overall in your core demo and the No. 1 afternoon sports show in market ... You are so right Crab

You are #1 by default dont let that confuse you as being good. Most people cant stand Tirrell and you got paired with Miller who most people like and we just tolerate you. You should probably stop biting the hand that feeds you, I thought you would have learned your lesson over in Omaha.

Cotlar, chris williams, and Tirell.....all annoying..perault doesnt bother me as much....But we really only have about 5 local radio shows ..at various times...
my point being that 3 of those suck....when cotlar was on in the a.m. ..he was the only choice.....if you wanted local sports...Thank goodness for f-bombs..

.is getting a good radio personality like Cyclone football recruiting....can We only get these guys nobody else will have??

and by the way..Andy is funny....but he is most of all knowledgable...he actually watches a game once in a while.

..Cotlar needs to turn off WWE and flip on the ESPN once in a while so he has some idea whats going on out there...But actually should probably be doing a "garden show" on Saturday right after the local garage sale announcements.

Tirell doesnt realize "SHOCK JOCKS" have gone the way of the mullett...they still exist,,but get no respect.

And Chris Williams...not even the cyclones want to hear about the cylones for 2 hours straight.

Jon and Steve..great show...until it becomes the two have you sitting in your basement rolling out the public access cable chatter ... Sometimes I expect to hear Steve's mom yell down the stairs for him to wash his hands before supper..
....BUT USUALLY....you guys give us great sports talk radio...especially this time of year..

There is no point in getting into a war of words with anyone on the radio. If not for the plane and simple fact that it is their job to argue and talk.
If you really don't like Matt change the station and listen to something else. If there really was a true consensus that he was terrible people wouldn't listen and he wouldn't be on the air in Des Moines.
If you really don't like him, but continue to listen to his show all you are doing is inviting this war of words and punishing yourself cause he is going nowhere. Especially if those that don't like him or his style keep his ratings up.
I like Matt and for the most part I agree with his views and when I don't he gets my blood pressure up and makes me think. Kind of what someone in his field is supposed to do.

ISU would NOT win that 3 out of 10, IMO.
Although I understand the "waste of time" side of things, that one was out there a ways, and I kind of felt like Deace was just seeing if he could slide that through. He had the ISU goggles on this AM.... which is acceptable. It seems to have been a while since he's worn them.

Jon and Matt- do you have a link to the ratings for the DSM market. Are you both saying you beat Van and Bonnie? I find that really hard to believe, maybe I am missing something though.

Whoa, I think they are all actually entertaining and very good.

I find myself flipping from channel to channel in the afternoon trying to find coverage on Iowa football.

I really don't care about Iowa State; Boston sports; NFL; baseball, etc. etc.

I do care about Iowa football and they all do a pretty good job of covering it.

Marty IMO is very entertaining if you don't take him too seriously.

Matt P. is very intelligent and often has insight that is quite interesting. He certainly is never boring.

I'm not sure about Cotlar right now -- he really needs his own show to be fully effective.

Just my two cents worth.

Jon and Matt- do you have a link to the ratings for the DSM market. Are you both saying you beat Van and Bonnie? I find that really hard to believe, maybe I am missing something though.

They aren't beating Van and Bonnie in the overall ratings, they are winning a specific demographic (M 25-54). Matt said they were the # 1 Sports talk radio in their time slot. TV and radio are about winning a demographic to help sell advertising to businesses targeting that specific demographic - i.e. you hear a lot of Home Depot ads, Aamco, etc. which are targeted at M 25-54.

They aren't beating Van and Bonnie in the overall ratings, they are winning a specific demographic (M 25-54). Matt said they were the # 1 Sports talk radio in their time slot. TV and radio are about winning a demographic to help sell advertising to businesses targeting that specific demographic - i.e. you hear a lot of Home Depot ads, Aamco, etc. which are targeted at M 25-54.

This is near the mark.

More than 90% of the listeners to our station are men. Therefore the demographic we target the most, and want to listen to us the most, are M 25-54, because that means the most to potential advertisers.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't think that was possible. IMO the worst person on the radio in the DSM market is the Round Guy. Only thing worse than his radio show is his terrible opening for acts at the Funnybone at WestGeln. SAD.

Unfortunately the truth is most of the local guys suck.

Cotman likes to repeat him self over and over and over again and seem to often ask stupid questions that have obvious answers.

Marty… this guy is an idiot; I have never heard dumber arguments made by anyone. He is annoying as well as his voice.

Ken is not much better than Marty… he like Marty loves to beat a dead horse.

I try to avoid all three like the plague, all of their shows are much better when those guys are absent so what does that tell ya?

Murph and Andy are the best, but out side of their show I tune into National guys... usually ESPN... because Rome sucks also.

Larry Cotlar. End of debate.

However, when that tool Wolfgang would be on Miller's afternoon show--he was the absolute worst. He made Cotlar sound smart.

Marty, Hands down. Tries to be a shock jock but his arguments are completely baseless.

The guys from Matt & Miller couldn't remember which game the Wegher touchdown run was called back for Eubanks' phantom holding last year. I mean come on.

Last edited:

Latest posts