Who is patient enough to weather 0-18?

homes

It could happen. Turnovers and bad shooting is not a recipe for success. I still believe that Fran has the right idea, it's just hard to stay with it as they fumble away possession after possession. But, these guys are young, so hopefully they'll learn. I'm just worried they'll get so used to losing, that it will be hard to get out of the "here we go again" rut that can very easily occur when they fall behind early on, or the other team invariably puts on run on them. That's where the best coaching will need to come in this year, keeping these guys from submitting to that feeling, and keeping them playing with intensity.

I think that's advantage Fran has over Lick. Lick seemed to give at times, show a sense of helplessness. Fran looks to be a bit more of a street fighter. He will stay positive, stay intense, and keep fighting. I imagine the team will too.

It's sad how outgunned we are. I think Minnesota's starters were better at every position than ours, plus they had Mbakwe off the bench who is better than any of our bigs.

Not sure why you would think IA would pull an 0-18 based on todays effort. They played well and hard. I'd like to see Fran control himself a little the technicals will get old within the B10 and lose their effectivness. The Hawks really can't afford to give up the points.

Not sure why you would think IA would pull an 0-18 based on todays effort. They played well and hard. I'd like to see Fran control himself a little the technicals will get old within the B10 and lose their effectivness. The Hawks really can't afford to give up the points.

True i only saw the replay, but i really dont know what he was all hot about.

0-18 is really, really, really hard to do. Didn't Indiana win one or two games last year? They were about as bad of a team I have seen in the Big 10 ever.

I really don't expect Indiana or Michigan to be able to beat Iowa twice. I don't even know if I trust PSU to be focused enough to beat Iowa at PSU..

I dont see much of a difference between 0-18 and 3-15

All fans knew this year was going to require a lot of patience before the season started

True i only saw the replay, but i really dont know what he was all hot about.
In a wide open court the PG caught the ball and traveled very obviously with the ref standing there looking right at the play. Oh it was right in front of the Iowa bench to boot.

I dont see much of a difference between 0-18 and 3-15

All fans knew this year was going to require a lot of patience before the season started

Unfortunately, there are some who knew that going in, and yet they still can't demonstrate it.

I would much rather have technicals, then Lick's look of resignation. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If the players put in an effort like tonight every game I'm OK with 0fer but I doubt that that will happen if they do.

The biggest thing they have to fix is when the other team goes on a 10-0 run, having the mentality to step and get a stop on D. Go down get a score, and get back in the game.

Big problem is there is no go to scorer that can create his own, we don't have a Reggie Evans in the block to throw it into.

I thought the D played much better tonight. We all have to remember how this is going to be a process. These kids last year were coached to just contain guys on the perimeter. They are now being coached to get up in someone and crowd them.

We will come around guys. Be patient. This team still has some fire in it. 10 wins may be optimistic this year but the future will look bright.

We will come around guys. Be patient. This team still has some fire in it. 10 wins may be optimistic this year but the future will look bright.

The future will look bright if Fran can bring in talent that at least equals that of the #3 - #5 teams in the Big 10.

It really isn't hard to figure out. Bring in talent equal to that of the upper half teams and as long as you can coach you will be fine.

It looks like Fran has done a good job of getting 1 freshman on campus that is as good as any other Freshmen in the Big 10 sans Sullinger. It's probably been a while since Iowa can legitimately claim that.

I don't mind it at this point...

in each case it has been something absolutely obvious. It's as if the referees decide "it's just Iowa, we won't bother calling it." He's showing some fight and showing some team that he will stick up for them. In the Gopher game Al Nolen caught the ball in front of the Iowa bench, switched pivot feel and took another step before putting the ball on the floor, going to the rim and getting fouled. That play is called EVERY time in the college game, unless of course it's Al Nolen playing against Iowa.

In the Northwestern game it was Juice Williams getting a steal, the pinning the ball to his stomach while he took 2 steps before dribbling.
Again, in neither case did those calls effect the outcome of the game. But McCaffery didn't just sit there and take it. On the other stuff he's fairly calm, as he should be. When/if we're better, he'll be much more judicious about getting a T.

Re: I don't mind it at this point...

in each case it has been something absolutely obvious. It's as if the referees decide "it's just Iowa, we won't bother calling it." He's showing some fight and showing some team that he will stick up for them. In the Gopher game Al Nolen caught the ball in front of the Iowa bench, switched pivot feel and took another step before putting the ball on the floor, going to the rim and getting fouled. That play is called EVERY time in the college game, unless of course it's Al Nolen playing against Iowa.

In the Northwestern game it was Juice Williams getting a steal, the pinning the ball to his stomach while he took 2 steps before dribbling.
Again, in neither case did those calls effect the outcome of the game. But McCaffery didn't just sit there and take it. On the other stuff he's fairly calm, as he should be. When/if we're better, he'll be much more judicious about getting a T.

after viewing similar attempts to rile fans and the team by Greg McDermott for the last 4 years I can tell you it does get old and definitely loses its effectiveness. the typical scenario: ISU down 14, bad call goes the other way, Gmac strips off his blazer and spikes it on the ground yelling and screaming, he may or may not get a T, crowd and team shows excitement for a few minutes, team still loses by 8-10 points.

a coach can do all the sideline theatrics he wants, but if W's aren't being put on the board then they are viewed much differently.

case in point, for the past week rex ryan has been painted as an idiot for all the media shananigans and comments he has made towards NE. then last night his team goes out and handles the chowds. now today he's being talked about as a smart gy who calculated and planned all the media hub hub in order to get in the head of the opposition.

Or fighting in hockey. it looks really desperate and petty when a team is getting their *** whipped night in and night out, but if a wining team is down 2-0 and someone drops the gloves to get the team fired up, it is viewed completely differently.

Re: I don't mind it at this point...

after viewing similar attempts to rile fans and the team by Greg McDermott for the last 4 years I can tell you it does get old and definitely loses its effectiveness. the typical scenario: ISU down 14, bad call goes the other way, Gmac strips off his blazer and spikes it on the ground yelling and screaming, he may or may not get a T, crowd and team shows excitement for a few minutes, team still loses by 8-10 points.

a coach can do all the sideline theatrics he wants, but if W's aren't being put on the board then they are viewed much differently.

case in point, for the past week rex ryan has been painted as an idiot for all the media shananigans and comments he has made towards NE. then last night his team goes out and handles the chowds. now today he's being talked about as a smart gy who calculated and planned all the media hub hub in order to get in the head of the opposition.

Or fighting in hockey. it looks really desperate and petty when a team is getting their *** whipped night in and night out, but if a wining team is down 2-0 and someone drops the gloves to get the team fired up, it is viewed completely differently.

Agreed. If a coach is consistently getting T'd up, he runs the risk of it losing its effectiveness, because the team will come to expect it. It can become a cliche from the player's perspective.

I don't think I would be able to handle an 0fer in conference. That would mean we are regressing. A lot of people's expectations for this year were player development, player retention, and a change in playing style. An 0-18 would mean that the players didn't improve, people will leave, and the change in style was not effective. So even the people that didn't care about wins and losses should not be appeased.

I could care less about this season's record. To me it all comes down to recruiting. Because, I won't be able to stomach going into next year with the current projected line-up.

Latest posts