Who is next year's team leader?

tweeterhawk

A question about next year's squad is who will fill Jarryd Cole's rather large shoes as the team leader. I'm not talking about the point guard or the official team "captain," necessarily, although it could certainly be that player.

Instead I'm thinking of the player who rallies the other four on the floor, who picks up a teammate who has just suffered a hard foul and tells them to calm down and moves them away, the one who gathers the other players together when free throws are given, the one who keeps things moving forward on and off the floor. Every successful team knows who the leader is -- the coach does, the other players do. Even good officials learn to spot each team's leader as a key part of man management and keeping the game flowing.

So who is Iowa's leader next year? Normally it would be a returning upperclassman; conventional wisdom would point to Matt Gatens. He will be a four-year player and has the most PT. But at least during games it's hard to tell how well he interacts with other members of the team. Brommer seems unlikely. It could be Cartwright. Basabe would be another possibility.

Cole was a great leader and the younger guys should have learned alot from him. I'm going to say Cartwright and Marble are going to be leaders with Gatens help.

I'm going with Gatens. Hometown guy, living the family name. Cartwright with his play, Gatens with his heart that really shows up next year.

I'm hoping Matt will step up his senior year and remind us all of home grown guys like Lookingbill, Street, Oliver, Brunner and Bobby Hansen.

Agree completely. Don't see Gatens as that kind of player. No knock on him for it. Just not his personality as far as i can see.

I'm thinking Cartwright or even Marble. Agree, not seeing team leadership in Matt's personality and demeanor.

Cartwright, he put this team on his back a lot, but deferred to Jarryd during the huddles, he has the ball the most and is one of their best players. He will lead by example and he works his butt off, so not a hard choice for me.

Unfortunately, there is only one. Matt is a lead by example guy, Bryce is a take charge guy. Matt and the other players will be more confident next year, but Bryce has established himself as the go to guy.

Marble as team leader??? I think a season where he loses the deer in the headlights look on his face might be in order before he takes over as a team leader over Gatens. In no way do I see him ready for that role. He need only be worried about keeping his starting spot and working on his jumpshot. People aren't going to follow someone if they don't respect them, and I see no reason anyone should look up to Marble at this point.

Cartwright will be the leader next year...he was the leader this year in the second half. I am not saying that Cole wasn't he was but Cartwright seemed to take the team on his shoulders and that is leadership. I hope Marble can become a leader by his Junior year but he won't be that guy next year. A sophomore leader is unusual. Cole is a special type of guy and that is why he had that role for 3 years.

Bryce and Matt will both be the leaders. Jarryd was never a loud rah-rah type,he admitted that he forced himself to be more vocal this year, and Matt is similar. But the players respect the heck out of Jarryd for the example he set,and Matt is similar.
Bryce will be more vocal on the court,which is fine,as the pg,that is a natural fit.

I think in the leadership department, Iowa will be just fine again this year.
Now,talent department? Yet to be determined,but the arrow is pointing up.

Latest posts