Who is next head coach at Penn State?

You would be a fool to turn down a great job opportunity based on one year of your son's college. KF is an East Coast guy and PSU is a much more desireable job than Iowa. I think if given the chance, KF would jump at that opportunity.

Scout.com: Pre-PSU: Ferentz OTS

Q: Do you consider yourself a Pennsylvanian?

Ferentz: Nah, not right now. I grew up there, I wasn’t born there. I am a Michigander by nature I guess. My parents have passed, so the connection isn’t near what it was. I used to go back there frequently and now it’s occasional, only because my wife’s parents are there and my brother is there, but I am an Iowan now. Sorry about that, you are stuck with me.

Plus, as section136 pointed out, Kirk has spent more of his life in Iowa than anywhere else. He is an Iowan more than he is a Pennsylvanian.

You must have never read when KF was quoted as saying that he has lived in Iowa for more years of his life than Pennsylvania and him and Mary consider themselves Iowans.

Take another job in the B1G? Not happening.

Take a job that is being rocked by a scandal? Not happening.

Leave the school your son is going to be a senior starter on? Not happening.

Pull your youngest son out of his high school right before his senior year? Not happening.

There is more that goes into these decisions than just football.

What do you expect him to say? He is currently the coach at Iowa and is constantly bombarded with the politics and questions regarding his future at Iowa. Look no futher than who is signing his checks to see why he is politically correct when addressing this.

I dont know how many people are going to want that job. Heck braska fans dont even want to be the team that has to play them next. If I was them I would go after someone like Chris Petersen. If you doubled his pay you would only be around 3 mil, and he would jump on that. I just think most people are not going to want to touch it with a 10ft pole unless their pay goes way up.

It won't be any former PSU players or coaches, they need to wipe the slate clean. I think they target Urban Meyer and Ferentz. I don't see Ferentz leaving Iowa, but I have no idea if Meyer would take that job or not after what has happened.

What do you expect him to say? He is currently the coach at Iowa and is constantly bombarded with the politics and questions regarding his future at Iowa. Look no futher than who is signing his checks to see why he is politically correct when addressing this.

Perhaps, but add this to the equation. Before his passing, Ferentz's Father said...and I'm paraphrasing.."Kirk's an Iowan now. He and Mary love Iowa...the way I love Pennsylvania".

When you've raised kids somewhere....several of them... it does give you a sense of roots. Granted, some people move around a lot and are fine with it. But Ferentz in particular, stirkes me as the type of guy who likes roots and stability. I'd be very surprised if he went anywhere at least until his kids are all out of school.

This may be the biggest scandal in recent memory, but I don't see PSU falling off the map. They bring in a solid coach and a reputable AD and I think they are back on track soon.

USC - recovered from the Reggie Bush issue being the 1st player to return a Heisman

Oklahoma - recovered after 18 NCAA violations and allegations of rape against players.

Florida - had over 100 NCAA violations under Charley Pell and have won titles since

Ohio State - already looks like they are recovering from Tressel

PSU is an elite program. This isn't SMU. They will get a good coach and will be back before long. The only one hurt longterm will be Joe Pa's reputation and of course the accused and other staff.

Two coaches it won't be: Ferentz nor Stoops. Would love to have Urban Meyer in Big Ten, but don't see that happening. PSU will make a splashy hire of someone who has a strong character presence for obvious reasons, and someone who can recruit. I would also guess, like most schools, they will want someone with ties to the university in someway. Doesn't Jo Pa have n extensive downline of ex players and former coaches over the years? They do however have a knack for snaking away a top contender out from under, ala Cael Sanderson.

Also keep in mind the new coach won't have to deal with disadvantages a USC, Miami or OSU have. There are no sanctions, no penalties or no lost scholarships to deal with.

Two coaches it won't be: Ferentz nor Stoops. Would love to have Urban Meyer in Big Ten, but don't see that happening. PSU will make a splashy hire of someone who has a strong character presence for obvious reasons, and someone who can recruit. I would also guess, like most schools, they will want someone with ties to the university in someway. Doesn't Jo Pa have n extensive downline of ex players and former coaches over the years? They do however have a knack for snaking away a top contender out from under, ala Cael Sanderson.

Stoops wouldn't leave Oklahoma. They are a premier program. Iowa doesn't enjoy the national reputation of either PSU or Oklahoma, which would make KF more likely. This is all speculation now anyway.

I agree with those who say that the current scandal at Penn State will limit their pool of candidates.

Just don't see a guy like Urban Meyer wanting to jump into that situation.

I don't think there is anyone other than Urban Meyer they go after with everything. He even was asked during the PSU/Iowa game about the job and didn't shoot down the idea. He can clean house and get his own guys in and have PSU in national title game within 2 years. Exactly like he did at Florida.

Al Golden the only other option. It's still PSU and they can offer big bucks to get big name.

Ohio State or Penn State - a couple of nice options for Meyer if he wishes to get back into coaching.

This is laughable. He will not leave with two daughters in HS and with the setup he has at OU. He has talent, the support of the entire state, and OU will match any offer PSU throws short of a completely asanine number. Most former Big 10 coaches and players are fine never going home. Stoops is one of those.

And do you personally know Stoops that he would be fine never going home?

And you don't think he would get talent to PSU or have the support of the entire state as well at PSU?

The only reason I think KF would even think about PSU is that he often brings up Iowa's recruiting disadvantages, and such disadvantages wouldn't exist if he were to move to Happy Valley.

That being said, for better or worse KF has shown himself to be someone who sticks with the course he has taken. With all of the opportunities he's had to jump ship, I just don't see him doing it now . . .

There is no YET. The problems at PSU have nothing to do with the NCAA. It is a criminal investigation, nothing to do with the NCAA because PSU didn't provide extra benefits to anyone.

The NCAA could find something if they want to. When the Baylor basketball player got murdered by a teammate they put sanctions on the Baylor program for illegal benefits.

This may be the biggest scandal in recent memory, but I don't see PSU falling off the map. They bring in a solid coach and a reputable AD and I think they are back on track soon.

USC - recovered from the Reggie Bush issue being the 1st player to return a Heisman

Oklahoma - recovered after 18 NCAA violations and allegations of rape against players.

Florida - had over 100 NCAA violations under Charley Pell and have won titles since

Ohio State - already looks like they are recovering from Tressel

PSU is an elite program. This isn't SMU. They will get a good coach and will be back before long. The only one hurt longterm will be Joe Pa's reputation and of course the accused and other staff.

USC's real sanctions haven't even kicked in yet. There scholarship reductions start next year, that's when they are really going to feel the penalties.

Urban Meyer will have his choice between Ohio St and Penn St, a week ago I thought he was more likely to take the Penn St job. But obviously a lot has changed in a week, I think he'll wind up at OSU.

Ferentz would never take the PSU job now. It's a step up from Iowa, but we all know how much Kirk loves dealing with the media, whoever takes that job is going to have to deal with questions and stories being done about the football program and community recovering form this scandal for years to come. This won't go away quickly, and I can't see Kirk having any desire for the extra media attention.

Latest posts