Who Hates Minnesota?

One of many memories of the old Kinnick North was the last game ever played there. The students were making laps around the concourse yelling this before the game. We win the game 55-0 and there is nobody left in the building except Hawk fans at the end of the game. They had a ceremony involving the band and closing down the Dome as the home of Gopher football after the game and hardly any Gopher fans stuck around to see it. Loved it!!

Best part was, there literally were more Hawkeye fans there than Gopher fans.:)

Last edited:
I live in Minnesota as well, and absolutely love living here, as I'm a huge hockey fan as well. Fishing is great, I love the lake life in the summer, it's a great place. Their sports just suck.:p

Out of all the teams we play and for as close as they are, I think they are one of more well liked fan bases. Maybe it is because we typically beat them, but no hate for Minny....

One of the more bizarre moments I've ever experienced in sports...happened at the Dome.

In the early 90s when the "crowd noise" rule was in force...the home team could be penalized for making too much noise if the visiting offense couldn't call signals and run a play. (a stupid rule...to be sure. It was soon done away with).

The crowd was mostly black and gold that night. At one point in the game, the ref actually warned Iowa...the VISITING team... about too much noise. Everyone looked around and said..."can they do that?!" Realizing what was going on (and that it might be their only hope) the Minnesota fans actually started making noise while their own offense was at the line! ...in hopes they'd get the penalty call and move their offense ahead 5 yards.

You've never seen so many people look around at each other...laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief. It was surreal.

I went to the USC game last year at TCF stadium and heard the "who hates Iowa" cheer which by the end of the game had morphed into a very comical "who hates Brewster" cheer.

They despise Iowa in Minnesota, they look upon us as hillbilly yokels. Ouite a few years ago we went to a Neil Young, Sonic Youth concert in Minneapolis. The next day we were driving around downtown Minne and were in the wrong lane to turn and a pedestrian gave us a dirty look, then looked at the license plate, and the look turned to contempt. Filthy filthy Minnesotans.

I will always remember Tubby the nasty p***k, two years ago at Minneapolis, ahead by 25/30 points near the end of the game leaving his starters in, total lack of class. Makes me appreciate KF's attitude all the more.

They must be showing the Hawks a lot of respect to use the Who Hates Iowa chant during other football games. NW must respect us a lot also. And please don't forget the Husker Trash wearing the Beat Iowa shirts early in the season. We command tons of respect, when the respect turns to fear, we will be able to bask in the glory of our pitiful opponents cringing when they hear, GO HAWKS.....

I went to the USC game last year at TCF stadium and heard the "who hates Iowa" cheer which by the end of the game had morphed into a very comical "who hates Brewster" cheer.

What's this "who hates Iowa?" cheer? New to me...

Latest posts