Who Grew More In That 2nd Half Yesterday?

Coker will have some solid games and the passing will complement the running and help open it up more in future.

I think this is the way FB has moved, but KOK's one and only fault is that he is still somewhat subscribing to the antiquated "run sets up the pass" notion. Particularly with the implementation of the spread, the pass sets up the run because defending against the pass is what gets 8 or 9 hats out of the box and give a guy like Coker a chance to shine when he only has to beat one guy instead of three.

Well when they keep calling RB dives that get two yards for 42 minutes, yes I blame the coaches. What they were calling wasnt working and they stuck with it until they had to.

During these first 42 minutes which you reference, Iowa ran the ball 19 times and threw it 32 times. Of those 19 runs, 3 came from the shadow of their own goal posts, and 2 came consecutively right at the end of the 1st Q when Iowa clearly needed some sort of a calming influence; those 2 consecutive runs netted 10 yards, a first down, and some much needed success.

On 1st downs during those first 42 minutes Iowa was exactly balanced: 11 runs, 11 passes.

I thought it was pretty obvious from the start that Iowa was looking to open up the offense. Ed Podolak mentioned the fact that the coaches had told him during the week that Iowa would be using more 3 WR sets and more no-huddle, 21 point deficit or no. They simply never had an opportunity to show these things in the first half because their penalties and negative plays, largely caused by execution-problems, not schematic problems, prevented them from establishing any continuity.

And does anyone honestly believe that the no-huddle offense that was so successful in the 4th quarter was NOT heavily emphasized by the coaches during the week of practice? This isn't Madden 2012, you can't just start running a bunch of plays that you scarcely emphasize in practice and be successful.

The victory was a combination of great effort and energy from the players (even in the first half when they were making mistakes), great execution and play-making down the stretch, and a nice coaching effort to keep the players focused when things weren't going well and to make the necessary adjustments to be successful.

The Hawkeyes won't be a perfect team this year, and coaches and players will both make mistakes. But they look like they have great energy and will be fun to watch. I am looking forward to following them.

During these first 42 minutes which you reference, Iowa ran the ball 19 times and threw it 32 times. Of those 19 runs, 3 came from the shadow of their own goal posts, and 2 came consecutively right at the end of the 1st Q when Iowa clearly needed some sort of a calming influence; those 2 consecutive runs netted 10 yards, a first down, and some much needed success.

On 1st downs during those first 42 minutes Iowa was exactly balanced: 11 runs, 11 passes.

I thought it was pretty obvious from the start that Iowa was looking to open up the offense. Ed Podolak mentioned the fact that the coaches had told him during the week that Iowa would be using more 3 WR sets and more no-huddle, 21 point deficit or no. They simply never had an opportunity to show these things in the first half because their penalties and negative plays, largely caused by execution-problems, not schematic problems, prevented them from establishing any continuity.

And does anyone honestly believe that the no-huddle offense that was so successful in the 4th quarter was NOT heavily emphasized by the coaches during the week of practice? This isn't Madden 2012, you can't just start running a bunch of plays that you scarcely emphasize in practice and be successful.

The victory was a combination of great effort and energy from the players (even in the first half when they were making mistakes), great execution and play-making down the stretch, and a nice coaching effort to keep the players focused when things weren't going well and to make the necessary adjustments to be successful.

The Hawkeyes won't be a perfect team this year, and coaches and players will both make mistakes. But they look like they have great energy and will be fun to watch. I am looking forward to following them.

Very well said!

you drank more than you watched the game. just a guess.

Your right, our offense was just rolling all day.

I like how this whole ******* match started because iahawks got mad at me for saying lets wait a couple weeks to see if the coaches learned anything.

Latest posts