Who carries the rock?

This could be a blessing if it forces KOK to add page 2 to the play book and maybe throw more. We will also see some of the guys KF opted to shelve for the season who have quicker feet than Coker.

Rogers wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Coker, IMO. Back when he was a freshman, he could have been that kind of back, I think. But he's been in fullback mode for sometime now, and isn't really built to be a tailback anymore (unless you subscribe to the John Clay Theory).

I'm sure he'll get work there, but he won't be as good as Coker.

They are going to miss Coker's blocking on passing downs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers get some carries so it doesn't look so obvious when we pass.

I think Johnson will start and split carries with Canzeri. Im very interested to see what these two will look like out there if they do play

I am less concerned about who carries it but rather who is prepared for pass protection. Sure we may throw 40 times in the game but I am sure OK will throw some blitzes in there and if they watched the Minnesota game in particular they could see our ability to both identify and pick up the blitz can be spotty.

I would be in favor of starting Rogers at tail and Grim at full and see how it goes from there. We may be able to pass the ball on them but only if we have protection. Then spell Rogers with Canzeri or Johnson. I think we will have to use the backs out of the back field in the passing game as well and I would feel comfortable with any of them for that.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question - but shouldn't KF have gotten more reps for the backups instead of leaning on Coker, and ONLY on Coker to run the ball every game this year?

Now it's inexperienced backups that apparently are going to be carrying the ball in the bowl game.. against Oklahoma. There's no substitue for experience.

Prediction: Rogers in single back passing sets. Canzeri, spelled at times by Johnson, in Iowa's standard running formations.

Coker being out will reduce Iowa's chances to win (weren't that great anyway), but I look forward to seeing Canzeri and Johnson.

Latest posts