Who believe's Ronnie Harmon got paid...

DaDynasty

Come on guys, really what do you think? I want to believe no... but man, that many fumbles in a Rose Bowl, in 1 freaking game... ugh, still pisses me off to this day...

It's been a while since I'd last seen a replay of that game. Friend of mine had it on VHS and if memory serves, I thought one of the fumbles was a UCLA player kicking it out of his arms? Thought there was a legit strip in there as well.

I kind of lean to the side he wasn't on the take, but a part of me wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I remember Iowa getting a turnover early in the game; might have been the first possession for UCLA, and Iowa's first run play after the turnover, Harmon fumbled the ball right back to UCLA. I think the ball was like on the UCLA 20 yard line or so. Not to mention, I don't remember him fumbling all the much through the season. Very skeptical to say the least.

Come on guys, really what do you think? I want to believe no... but man, that many fumbles in a Rose Bowl, in 1 freaking game... ugh, still pisses me off to this day...
I can't believe this thread. Can't you guys pile on maybe your wife or kids or something? Do you have to try and dig up dirt from 25 years ago to get your rocks off? Happy freakin holidays. I can't believe how far this board has fallen.

What the hell brought this up? It was over 25 years ago, time to let things go.

Along with your bad attitude sir! Just an honest question. Heard on BTN that Hayden's ceremony is tonight at the Rose Bowl. BTN - 5:30 central. So that brought it up, Negative Nancy.

I can't believe this thread. Can't you guys pile on maybe your wife or kids or something? Do you have to try and dig up dirt from 25 years ago to get your rocks off? Happy freakin holidays. I can't believe how far this board has fallen.

Was it worth it Ronnie?

Along with your bad attitude sir! Just an honest question. Heard on BTN that Hayden's ceremony is tonight at the Rose Bowl. BTN - 5:30 central. So that brought it up, Negative Nancy.

Bad attitude? If not dwelling on things that happened 25 years ago and moving on with life is a bad attitude then I guess you are right.

I still think the Hawks threw that 1935 game against Minnesota for point shaving reasons.

Whoa calm down there Debbie Downer, just asking a question, not bagging on this years team or anything. Please see my post above about Hayden's Ceremony before you try and be all high and mighty:
Debbie_Downer.jpg

<<I can't believe how far this board has fallen>>

Unfortunately, in the case of (too) many posters, it really didn't have far to fall.

As to Harmon, does anyone remember that he DID set a Rose Bowl receiving record in that game, as well?

My guess is that it may have been investigated, and since we heard nothing (other than the idiots who claim their cousin's business partner's best buddy sold Harmon a new Mercedes two days before the game), it was probably unfounded.

Dude, relax, it's a MESSAGE BOARD. It's a forum for discussion, that's all. The thing of it is, is that the title clearly states what this thread is about. If you don't like the topic, then just don't open it and respond. I do it all the time when there are topics that I don't agree with or don't want to discuss.

Bad attitude? If not dwelling on things that happened 25 years ago and moving on with life is a bad attitude then I guess you are right.

So you've never dwelled on anything that happened in your past? Nothing ever, this was a significant game, and yes, sometimes it makes me think...HEAR ME HAWKEYENATION: Time to only speak of FUTURE references because hawkeyescott does not like to dwell on the past. Hopefully he doesn't have children because if they are 25, he will never bring up anything they did as children.

didn't someone write a book or something involving this game? or mentioning someone involved with someone... I sort of remember something...

January 1st, 1986. I remember that game like it was yesterday. I watched that game at my uncle's farm near the Cedar/Muscatine County border, and after the 3rd fumble, many of the partygoers were yelling "IT'S FIXED!" I will go with that, and many facts have come out since then.

Then you hear that Harmon has an affiliation with Norby Walters, who has a close affiliation with Mike Franzese, who was affiliated with organized crime.

Harmon seemed to admit that he got paid by Walters the agent, but didn't appear to admit to throwing the game, as referenced in this article by Ron Maly:
Scout.com: Hawkeye Past and Hawkeye Future

Here is an article about Walters: Two Sports Agents Convicted of Fraud And Racketeering - New York Times

Franzese was featured on Bryant Gumbel's HBO Real Sports, and he indicated that there was a strong possibility that the fix was in.

Everyone has their opinion, but I think there is solid evidence that something very wrong happened.

Last edited:
I had a class with him the fall semester of that season (the composer, the improviser and you). We tapped on tables and made different sounds, that was the extent of the class. Bob Kratch use to sit in the back and eat a whole pizza during class (night class). Anyway, Ronnie came to class wearing a nice pimped out white fur coat when it was cold out.

Do I think he got paid? No, he fumbled 4 times in perfect weather after playing in the midwest all season. Dumb question. Too bad for Charlie Long and the rest of that crew, they should have won that game.

Yea, he threw the game. Just ask his team mates what they think.

You need to read the book "Playing For Keeps" by Chris Mortenson. Harmon was on the take from agents who were connected guys. One of them got wacked out in a San Diego hotel room if I recall. Maly's article and the HBO piece cover the mob angle pretty clearly. No one has direct evidence that cash was handed over specifically in exchange for four fumbles - just evidence that Ronnie was on the take from the agents who presumably would cash in when he went pro. You can draw you own conclusions. Terry Donohue also has suggested that they identified a ball security issue with Harmon on film and coached up his guys to strip it that day. I have my own opinion and I've read enough to be comfortable in it but I suppose unless there is "definitive proof" no one can know. I've moved on but I don't think UCLA was the better team that year - hardly.