White Makes the Cut to 16 at the WUG

regarding Marble:

while he won't be the best true PG at these events
and while he won't be the best SG at these events

he is excellent for Iowa as he poses a huge match-up problem in how we can use him. maybe not so much for teams like this, but he can be a very good player when used properly.

an analogy would be someone like Danny Woodhead with the Patriots. kid might not do much at all on a time like the Jets, but is a great contributor on the Patriots.

regarding White:

Good for him. I can see him being a great guy off the bench with a ton of hustle and ability to get to the FT line.

But isn't this the same kid who can't create his own shot? or can't hit a jumper? or only scores on garbage points? or only scores from the free throw line? Incredible how the folks at Team USA must see something a bit different than you do.

So If I understand this you assume that because he mad the cut he all of a sudden started doing things that he hasn't done well at all at Iowa like creating his own shot and hitting jumpers?

That seems odd to me.

My assumption would be that hes, rebounding, moving with out the ball, hustling, drawing fouls, getting out in transition, and finishing at the rim well. You know, the things that he does when he plays at Iowa.

The guards at the tryouts were pretty impressive, not extremely surprised by this.
White has a pretty flexible game for his height and that translates well on these types of teams.

In any sport/team, it's not about who's the best athlete, it's about who fit's best at various positions.

I was a pole vaulter at my alma mater, a D-III school. My senior year, I was conference champ and fortunate enough to qualify for and place at the national meet. Was I the best track athlete on the team? Far from it. Ask me to run the 1500, I'd be lapped before I completed the second lap. Ask me to long jump and I'd barely make the sand. But I studied and became good at my chosen event.

Here's what I believe happened. There are better point guards and there are better 2 guards at the WUG than RDM. They don't need a combo guard, Marble's niche. And he probably was the best one there. White, on the other hand, fits a niche that the WUG coaches are looking for. I wouldn't be shocked if White makes the final cut.

Does this surprise me? A little, but when I stop and think about it, it makes sense. I'm just happy that Fran can now use the 'We had two players try out for the WUG' line when recruiting. It may not help much, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Just my 2¢ .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!