Which QB will be starting/major playing time in the Pittsburgh game?

Who among us predicted that Iowa would be using the ''Raider'' scheme on defense the second half of the season last year?

No one. It spoke volumes about our new coaching staff and urgency to deal with those running qbs that plague Iowa so much.

I agree that we could see similar adjustments on offense where we do feature a personnel package and play packet for CJ in most games.

CJ getting comfortable early in the year would be huge as he could develop into a ''rally'' qb with his big arm, and mobility. If Hawks get behind and are against a strong wind, we will need a bigger arm in there, possibly, if CJ is ready. Last year, many of our games were played in high winds, and that meant no passing for half the game with Jake's arm....that could change this year.

Who among us predicted that Iowa would be using the ''Raider'' scheme on defense the second half of the season last year?

No one. It spoke volumes about our new coaching staff and urgency to deal with those running qbs that plague Iowa so much.

I agree that we could see similar adjustments on offense where we do feature a personnel package and play packet for CJ in most games.

CJ getting comfortable early in the year would be huge as he could develop into a ''rally'' qb with his big arm, and mobility. If Hawks get behind and are against a strong wind, we will need a bigger arm in there, possibly, if CJ is ready. Last year, many of our games were played in high winds, and that meant no passing for half the game with Jake's arm....that could change this year.

Perhaps this could be done at the start of a game to prevent from being down, also? :cool:

I'll say this, some of you are much more open minded to playing 2 QBs than I.

As I stayed earlier in the thread, I believe Ruddock to be the best at this point. I can acknowledge CJ has some things Jake will never be able to develop where, CJ may be able to improve his pocket presence in accuracy and thus the higher ceiling.

With that said, I want no part of 2 QBs. Either CJ has developed his game and shown in practice he's ready to be the guy or he hasn't.

I'll say this, some of you are much more open minded to playing 2 QBs than I.

As I stayed earlier in the thread, I believe Ruddock to be the best at this point. I can acknowledge CJ has some things Jake will never be able to develop where, CJ may be able to improve his pocket presence in accuracy and thus the higher ceiling.

With that said, I want no part of 2 QBs. Either CJ has developed his game and shown in practice he's ready to be the guy or he hasn't.

Me agreed. I want very little part if a two qb system. No thanks

I have to agree with iba and MHA. There are very few 2 QB systems that worked. This whole situational QB system that some people are mentioning is ridiculous. How does this sound?

"Sorry Jake the wind is blowing too hard and we needed a stronger arm in there". Or
"Sorry Jake we're down 2 TD's and we think CJ gives us a better chance to come back"

Guess what that does? That ruins his confidence and his rhythm. Two things that are HUGE for a QB to stay comfortable. If the coaches truly believe CJ gives Iowa a better chance to win then he should be the starter. It's as simple as that. I don't mind them each getting playing time the first couple of games if they feel like they need to figure out who to go with. However, operating a 2 QB system throughout the entire season is not something I want either QB to have to endure. It will be bad for the team.

I dont agree with this bolded part. JR made very good throws into the cold wind in the Michigan game, he had to lead a comeback and comebacks are few and far between in the KF era.

Granted JR throwing 50+ yard bombs into the wind is probably not going to happen but he has enough zip to throw long outs and 25-30 yard seam and boundary passes into a wind.

But I still like the idea of JR and CJB knowing that CJB will probably get a series in each half if only for the development of the backup QB.

Man, if JVB had had much more experience in 2009 we win that NW game, stay undefeated, and KF might have had more confidence in JVB on the last drive of regulation in Columbus.

You need to get your backups some time, if the starter is super hot and you have a good lead against a tough team you may hold off on getting in your backup until later in the game.

A game plan is not set in stone.

I dont agree with this bolded part. JR made very good throws into the cold wind in the Michigan game, he had to lead a comeback and comebacks are few and far between in the KF era.

Granted JR throwing 50+ yard bombs into the wind is probably not going to happen but he has enough zip to throw long outs and 25-30 yard seam and boundary passes into a wind.

But I still like the idea of JR and CJB knowing that CJB will probably get a series in each half if only for the development of the backup QB.

Man, if JVB had had much more experience in 2009 we win that NW game, stay undefeated, and KF might have had more confidence in JVB on the last drive of regulation in Columbus.

You need to get your backups some time, if the starter is super hot and you have a good lead against a tough team you may hold off on getting in your backup until later in the game.

A game plan is not set in stone.

Jake did throw three picks including a pick-six vs Michigan. He also helped us rally, with the medium- long pass(with the wind) early in the 3rd qtr to Tevan Smith...who caught it and ran about 40 yards for the quick td that got us back into that game. Jake helped dig that hole we were in that day, tho.

Ole Ball coach Spurrier had a two QB system at South Carolina last year, with Shaw and the other guy. They ended up both playing a lot since Shaw kept getting hurt, but even while healthy , Spurrier liked going with the guy with the hot hand...and Carolina had a great season...it can be done. I think it is easier than what is portrayed on here....Iowa getting beat in the second half, offense stinking, QB throwing picks...go with the other guy. JR and CJ are strong enough to deal with competition.

Big road test which will define "who" Iowa is this fall.
4th game into the season.
I smell a QB controversy.

JR or CJB....who ya got?

I think I'll go with he guy who put up one of the best sophomore seasons of any Iowa QB ever.

Jury is out on CJ...football benches are littered with guys that the interwebz glorify, but they ' look like Tarzan, but play like Jane' (an old saying of Coach Fry's to describe what guys like Lemming and superprep identified).

Not saying CJ is this, just, for crying out loud, JR was dang good for a Sohp last year....and will have better weapons this year, better line this year, legitimate experience under his belt.

I think I'll go with he guy who put up one of the best sophomore seasons of any Iowa QB ever.

Jury is out on CJ...football benches are littered with guys that the interwebz glorify, but they ' look like Tarzan, but play like Jane' (an old saying of Coach Fry's to describe what guys like Lemming and superprep identified).

Not saying CJ is this, just, for crying out loud, JR was dang good for a Sohp last year....and will have better weapons this year, better line this year, legitimate experience under his belt.

Ha, exactly! This is why I love HN - it's one of a handful of places in the known universe where you can find people who don't think JR is the answer @ QB.

Opposing teams, media, etc all think "Well, Iowa looks pretty well set at QB through 2015"...meanwhile (in apparently a completely different universe) HN collectively think "Yeah, but look at CJB's hair!!!"

Ha, exactly! This is why I love HN - it's one of a handful of places in the known universe where you can find people who don't think JR is the answer @ QB.

Opposing teams, media, etc all think "Well, Iowa looks pretty well set at QB through 2015"...meanwhile (in apparently a completely different universe) HN collectively think "Yeah, but look at CJB's hair!!!"

^^ Very funny and true

Jake did throw three picks including a pick-six vs Michigan. He also helped us rally, with the medium- long pass(with the wind) early in the 3rd qtr to Tevan Smith...who caught it and ran about 40 yards for the quick td that got us back into that game. Jake helped dig that hole we were in that day, tho.

Ole Ball coach Spurrier had a two QB system at South Carolina last year, with Shaw and the other guy. They ended up both playing a lot since Shaw kept getting hurt, but even while healthy , Spurrier liked going with the guy with the hot hand...and Carolina had a great season...it can be done. I think it is easier than what is portrayed on here....Iowa getting beat in the second half, offense stinking, QB throwing picks...go with the other guy. JR and CJ are strong enough to deal with competition.

So you are reaching way down into the bad play bag to bring up a pick six on naked left bootleg call where Mich blitzed right into it and hit JR as he was throwing and the ball fluttered to a Mich D lineman. The only thing JR did wrong their was not get the license plate of the Lbkr who blindsided him.

Bad call with no protection , yeah JR maybe should have seen the blitzer and got out of that play.

I just looked up the drive chart and play by play on espn and for the 4th qtr into the wind the hawks drove for a TD and a winning FG. JR was 4 for 4 for 49 yards. Damn impressive. If JR improves just 10% we are looking at 19 TDs and only 6 or so picks this year. I do want to see CJB get some drives and experience but right now JR is the guy. As I always say if the backup guy can beat out an above avg starter then all the better.

1-1 11
2-2 21
3-3 5
4-4 12
---
4 for 4 49 yds

He did ha ve a pretty good year considering all factors (experience, mediocre RB, poor WR etc). All of those areas will be improved this year. Jake will need to improve greatly as well if the team is to reach it’s potential. If he doesn’t improve much, then Iowa will have a QB controversy.

If you don't have to use two qbs, don't. I don't think we have to. I think rudecock did pretty well for a soph.

So you are reaching way down into the bad play bag to bring up a pick six on naked left bootleg call where Mich blitzed right into it and hit JR as he was throwing and the ball fluttered to a Mich D lineman. The only thing JR did wrong their was not get the license plate of the Lbkr who blindsided him.

Bad call with no protection , yeah JR maybe should have seen the blitzer and got out of that play.

Good point....maybe with CJ's mobility, he could have escaped that pressure. At that point, Jake's knees were like my grandmothers, and he had no shot to escape.

I like Jake, but I just want the most dynamic performer on the field, and if that is Jake, fine.
I was really hoping to see a stronger arm on Jake at the spring game, but as soon as he had to throw down the middle of the field against the wind....ball fluttered, wobbled, and was picked off by King...same as Dennard's pickoff in the MSU game....they are standing waiting for the ball to come down...not a pretty sight.

Maybe the wind will not blow this year, and then Jake is the man!

Reaching down? One need go no further than the first game of the year for another example. He handed the game to NIU with his late pick. Might as well have been a pick 6.

Jake did have a pretty good year. Just pointing out the above as well.

Latest posts