Which QB will be starting/major playing time in the Pittsburgh game?

Only QB controversry in Hawkeye Country will be within the fans. Ferentz is extremely loyal and the fact that JR was the starting QB last season it will take an injury and or extremely, extremely poor play to bench him. Beathard like last season will get just enough snaps to keep him somewhat Satisfied .

Depends on two things. JRs health and the teams record. If Iowa is undefeated going into the Pitt game and JR is healthy even if he isn't setting the the world on fire he'll still be starting. Iowa would have to really win those games despite JRs play instead of because of to have that really be a discussion and I don't for see him having a game like the Michigan game on senior day last yr against any of those non conference games.

Unless JR is as bad as JC or Beathard is as good as Banks, there will be no qb competition. The backup will have to be a lot more than slightly better than the starter to take over. I assume that's the case on most teams even though it seems more so under Kirk.

HAHA.....you think that JR was the answer in 2012? Lets just throw out a RS FR, let him get destroyed, kill his confidence.....yip, that would have been brilliant. I mean seriously should JR started as a true FR and beat out JV in 2011 as well?

I always thought it was strange that Jon Wienke never got a shot to start as QB. Nobody seems to remember that he was even an option.

JR
1) we know that KF can NEVER bring himself to pull a qb regardless of how poorly he performs
2) I don't think he'll throw as many back breaking, game costing picks as he did last year.
3) won't win games, won't lose games. Iowa will be a ground and pound team as long as the defense is solid.

Jake Christensen is on line #1 for you....

JR, I've seen nothing in a game that shows me that CJ is the better QB, even if he can run faster and has a stronger arm.

Give me Ruddocks pocket presence and accuracy.

Cheers, and welcome back! It is great to be a Hawkeye!

Oh, and I think it is time to change your sig. ;)

Agreed... Because IIRC, it was the 33 yd line, not the 30. Wait, that's not what you were hinting at?

Right now, JR is better at a pro-style offense, that KF prefers, and CJB is more adept at the quick fire, faster paced offense that GD prefers. Whichever offense we wind up running this season will probably dictate who plays the most. I will say this, if JR doesn't have the arm strength to be a legitimate threat to go deep 2 or 3 times each game, our offense will suffer as LB's won't need to worry about taking deeper drops and that leaves them closer to the los.

Good comments.

The ones which make the most sense to me are:

#1--How well are we playing? (Dominating, squeaking by, losing, losing terribly). A lot will ride on that.
#2--Which offense is going to be dominant with the personnel we have? JR for pro-style, CJB for the up-tempo.
#3--Agreed...it's akin to moving a mountain when KF changes to another QB mid-career. Only been done once that I remember.

I can't find the exact interview, but, in one of them with KF during spring ball, (paraphrasing) KF alluded to perhaps going to a 1A and 1B rotation at QB based upon what he was seeing on the field at that time.

*That* to me spoke volumes, thus, the reason for my initial post.

Go Hawks.

How much we see Bethard will depend on how good the offense is with Ruddock. I thought of the ISU game as a scrimmage last year. I wondered if they just kept running the same 3 plays over and over until KF found perfection and the level of execution he was looking for. That approach is not about putting points up. It is preparation. Seeing the longer term.

If the hawks can get comfortable leads and if the D is showing promise, I think KF will feel more at ease with letting CB play more. They say CB will play more this year....but how much more depends on how well the 1st team shows up.

Have not seen an Iowa team look really good in September for more than 10 years.

Rudock

And it will probably be Rudock the next 18,000 times this thread or a version of it comes up.

Right now, JR is better at a pro-style offense, that KF prefers, and CJB is more adept at the quick fire, faster paced offense that GD prefers. Whichever offense we wind up running this season will probably dictate who plays the most. I will say this, if JR doesn't have the arm strength to be a legitimate threat to go deep 2 or 3 times each game, our offense will suffer as LB's won't need to worry about taking deeper drops and that leaves them closer to the los.

CJB may have the potential to run the fast paced offense that GD prefers, but I have seen nothing on the field yet to prove that. CJB can run with the ball, but so can Rudock when he is healthy.

The only thing I have seen CJB do better than Rudock is throw the long deep pass, sometimes for long TD's, which is important. But until we see CJB do the small stuff on the field better, a healthy Rudock will start.

But CJB will get plenty of chances to prove himself in the fist 3 games, and if CJB can show he do the game manager part in the first 3 games this year, CJB will eventually take over because he has the stronger arm.

From the sounds of it, KF and GD will do exactly what they should. JR is the more reliable starter right now and CJB will be used to provide a spark and give D’s other looks to prepare for. Love it.

Give me Ruddocks pocket presence and accuracy.[/QUOTE]

This. He's smart, he's a winner. The sex cannon is just that, the sexy back up with gorgeous flowing golden locks.

Hey numb nuts, yeah beathard can throw the ball 65 yards versus rudecocks 60, great. Contrary to what most of you think, we can't throw bombs every down. We all want the sex cannon why?

HAHA.....you think that JR was the answer in 2012? Lets just throw out a RS FR, let him get destroyed, kill his confidence.....yip, that would have been brilliant. I mean seriously should JR started as a true FR and beat out JV in 2011 as well?

So you're saying that there were no situations that warranted changing QB's or giving the back up any playing time in 2012?

So you're saying that there were no situations that warranted changing QB's or giving the back up any playing time in 2012?

No, that isn't what I said. I said that KF had the starter correct, and he did. Whether or not a backup gets into a game is a different story. I would actually agree with you that at times in 2012 season the backup could or even should have gotten some playing time. I also hope this year that CJ gets some playing time. That doesn't mean that KF is starting the wrong QB.

With the way spring went, and all the changes that the staff made I'm thinking this year might be the start of something new for Iowa football. Getting the best match ups on the field for certain situations, heck we might see more players hitting the field than ever before.

Latest posts