Which QB will be starting/major playing time in the Pittsburgh game?

Seth53

Big road test which will define "who" Iowa is this fall.
4th game into the season.
I smell a QB controversy.

JR or CJB....who ya got?

JR
1) we know that KF can NEVER bring himself to pull a qb regardless of how poorly he performs
2) I don't think he'll throw as many back breaking, game costing picks as he did last year.
3) won't win games, won't lose games. Iowa will be a ground and pound team as long as the defense is solid.

JR
1) we know that KF can NEVER bring himself to pull a qb regardless of how poorly he performs
2) I don't think he'll throw as many back breaking, game costing picks as he did last year.
3) won't win games, won't lose games. Iowa will be a ground and pound team as long as the defense is solid.

That about sums it up. JR is supposed to be, by now, the smarter, game manager type QB. So as long as he is not throwing stupid picks that lose a game, he will be the guy who starts and finishes games when Iowa has the lead.

CJB is more high risk, high reward. More bad things can happen, but more big plays can happen too. He is the more ideal guy to bring Iowa back if they are down 2 TD's.

I guess the comparison to other QB battles are bound to come. With Stanzi and Christensen, Christensen was such a bad thrower, it is not fair to compare Rudock to Christensen. Rudock is better than Christensen.

A better comparison might be to say Rudock is like Kyle McCann, but does that mean CJB is like Brad Banks? I would not go that far.

No, this is a new competition where it is not so obvious if CJB can overtake Rudock. If he does, it may be because of injury to Rudock and then Iowa gets on a roll with CJB.

JR will be starting and getting most of the playing time if everything stays to form as of late last year and spring.

Big question is will JR's knees be 100% by season's start. If JR is not very mobile then that is a negative.

But I really think you will be seeing CJB get some series in most every game. Coaches have to be smarter in having a prepared backup QB. Brad Banks had to have learned alot in his junior season getting playing time and it didnt really hurt the overall season.

Stanzi was getting his time early in 2008.

If JR makes the big mental and performance leap people expect and he has a more 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 TD to INT then the hawks should be better.

JR

You had me at #1. Ferentz doesn't do change.

Is this a serious question? It will be and should be Rudock unless he goes down with an injury before the Pitt game.And for all the "KF doesn't do change", there has only been 1 season that presented a real QB controversy and that was in 2008. KF made a change by the start of B1G play and that move paid off with a 9 win season in 2008 and a BCS bowl victory the next year.And I don't want to hear about McCann/Banks in 2001.

I disagree with the assertion that Ferentz "NEVER" brings himself to change QBs. 1999, 2000, and 2008 all featured legitimate QB battles, and Ferentz let those battles play out.

Never say never, but the chances - barring injury - that it's NOT JR are very, very slim I would think.

I disagree with the assertion that Ferentz "NEVER" brings himself to change QBs. 1999, 2000, and 2008 all featured legitimate QB battles, and Ferentz let those battles play out.

Spot on Jumper.

Same old bashers.....except this time, they have to completely ignore KF previous "QB battles" to spout their lines. Why not just stick to bashing him when he deserves it (there are plenty of legitimate criticism's you can hit on). This one just doesn't hold water though. He has gotten the QB position right 14 out of 14 years. Only 1 year can even really be debated at all.

JR goes into camp as #1, but if summer development of CJ is off the charts, KF will play them both.

By Pitt, we should have one, but in 2008, it was still up in the air. I think this could end up being very similar...ie. an o-coordinator who likes the backup better. OKeefe wanted Ricky, and Davis really likes how CJ can '' spin the pigskin''... KF wants to win...he will figure it out.

Is this a serious question? It will be and should be Rudock unless he goes down with an injury before the Pitt game.And for all the "KF doesn't do change", there has only been 1 season that presented a real QB controversy and that was in 2008. KF made a change by the start of B1G play and that move paid off with a 9 win season in 2008 and a BCS bowl victory the next year.And I don't want to hear about McCann/Banks in 2001.

there was no controversy that year, Ferentz was being Ferentz by starting Jake "wormkiller" Christensen because he was older.

Spot on Jumper.

Same old bashers.....except this time, they have to completely ignore KF previous "QB battles" to spout their lines. Why not just stick to bashing him when he deserves it (there are plenty of legitimate criticism's you can hit on). This one just doesn't hold water though. He has gotten the QB position right 14 out of 14 years. Only 1 year can even really be debated at all.

forget about 2012 already or is it everyone's opinion that the backups would have done worse than Vandenberg that year?

there was no controversy that year, Ferentz was being Ferentz by starting Jake "wormkiller" Christensen because he was older.

Did you watch any games that year? They were co-starters, they both played in every game, as it was still an open competition. Stanzi beat out the incumbent JC after the 4th game. Pretty Ferentz like, I know.

forget about 2012 already or is it everyone's opinion that the backups would have done worse than Vandenberg that year?

HAHA.....you think that JR was the answer in 2012? Lets just throw out a RS FR, let him get destroyed, kill his confidence.....yip, that would have been brilliant. I mean seriously should JR started as a true FR and beat out JV in 2011 as well?

Both got to play last year. Id say theyve talked to beathard quite a bit about his role in order to get him to stay. I think he would be gone if he didnt like what he heard.

Both got to play last year. Id say theyve talked to beathard quite a bit about his role in order to get him to stay. I think he would be gone if he didnt like what he heard.

Hey OOTH, you still want Iowa to lose every football game until KF is fired? Just curious, as you seem like a straight shooter, and I know you said that when everyone was very frustrated by the shape the FB program was in.

Hey OOTH, you still want Iowa to lose every football game until KF is fired? Just curious, as you seem like a straight shooter, and I know you said that when everyone was very frustrated by the shape the FB program was in.

If Iowa was going to keep doing the same thing over and over again then yes I would prefer no wins for however long it would take to get a new staff. However I see no need as of now since kirk made many changes last year. He did tend to fall back in some games but I think thats normal. Im a fan of BF and think he is the voice of reason to KF. After not being excited for football last year I am once again excited for football this year. Hopefully BF can aid KF in breaking the cycles the program has seen.

If Iowa was going to keep doing the same thing over and over again then yes I would prefer no wins for however long it would take to get a new staff. However I see no need as of now since kirk made many changes last year. He did tend to fall back in some games but I think thats normal. Im a fan of BF and think he is the voice of reason to KF. After not being excited for football last year I am once again excited for football this year. Hopefully BF can aid KF in breaking the cycles the program has seen.

Cheers, and welcome back! It is great to be a Hawkeye!

Oh, and I think it is time to change your sig. ;)

HAHA.....you think that JR was the answer in 2012? Lets just throw out a RS FR, let him get destroyed, kill his confidence.....yip, that would have been brilliant. I mean seriously should JR started as a true FR and beat out JV in 2011 as well?

Lets not go over this again except to say it would have been nice to see a RS FR in Jake get some playing time in 2012.

Latest posts