Which new Frosh FB players might play next year?

AJ
Hankins
Gersonde
Bandon Smith
Cooper or Marchese
Turner or Harrell
Bryan or Kelly-Martin

I say 7 with it being either/or on Cooper and Marchese and Turner and Harrell and Bryan and Kelly-Martin

We have a log jam at DE. Nelson/Nelson/Hesse. Those guys should be playing as well. The easiest way to get all these studs playing time is for AJ to play DT. I don't want to see addition by subtraction. If AJ doesn't go to DT then one of these other guys will have to. IMO easier for AJ to just start off there.
I don't see a jam at all. I think Hesse is odd man out and can rotate in. He's hardly a fraction of what AJ is physically. Head to head AJ beats him out I think. The larger of the Nelsons may experiment at DT too that's been talked about. To me it's just a matter of how big AJ gets and how fast. He's said he prefers staying outside so we'll just have to see.

I don't see a jam at all. I think Hesse is odd man out and can rotate in. He's hardly a fraction of what AJ is physically. Head to head AJ beats him out I think. The larger of the Nelsons may experiment at DT too that's been talked about. To me it's just a matter of how big AJ gets and how fast. He's said he prefers staying outside so we'll just have to see.

Hesse is arguably the best run defender on the DL. His work in setting the edge was instrumental in our defensive successes this last season. I can't imagine Kirk or Phil benching a 2 year starter who will be in the leadership group and possible defensive captain. I would certainly rather see AJ start out at DT. If you want him to apply outside pass rush then you can just stunt him on the play. Got to get the best 4 on the field.

I think this mystery recruit being teased by Pat Harty and others on twitter could be a week one starter in the fall.

Hesse is arguably the best run defender on the DL. His work in setting the edge was instrumental in our defensive successes this last season. I can't imagine Kirk or Phil benching a 2 year starter who will be in the leadership group and possible defensive captain. I would certainly rather see AJ start out at DT. If you want him to apply outside pass rush then you can just stunt him on the play. Got to get the best 4 on the field.
Hesse as good of a job as he did at defending the run was borderline bad at rushing the passer... Hesse was good at playing his gap I'll give him that. But he couldn't collapse a pocket let alone get around the edge. AJ once he gets acclimated will be great at both. Making him better overall. Making it tough to keep him on the sidelines. Hesse will still play. Maybe on more running obvious downs. Throw the 2 yr starter crap out the window. Best players should be playing. I was hoping that with CJ being named over JR and Stanley being bumped over Wiegers that if they are willing to go against the grain a little there that surely the heck they can on defense too. If Hesse shows up at 6'3 250ish again and isn't any faster then good luck with beating AJ out. To me it's on how AJs body evolves. Does he stay around 270ish or does he get really big?

Hesse as good of a job as he did at defending the run was borderline bad at rushing the passer... Hesse was good at playing his gap I'll give him that. But he couldn't collapse a pocket let alone get around the edge. AJ once he gets acclimated will be great at both. Making him better overall. Making it tough to keep him on the sidelines. Hesse will still play. Maybe on more running obvious downs. Throw the 2 yr starter crap out the window. Best players should be playing. I was hoping that with CJ being named over JR and Stanley being bumped over Wiegers that if they are willing to go against the grain a little there that surely the heck they can on defense too. If Hesse shows up at 6'3 250ish again and isn't any faster then good luck with beating AJ out. To me it's on how AJs body evolves. Does he stay around 270ish or does he get really big?

If AJ is going to play DE I would bet my lunch that it would be over the Nelsons and not over Hesse.

It'll be interesting on the Dline. Could see the Nelsons and/or AJ put on some weight to be able to go to D tackle. Depth and able to stand 4 on the raider package...yes please.

Absolutely no clue on the WRs, but I'm intrigued by Brandon Smith. Have we ever had a wr come in with his measurables? Vandeberg, Smith, Fant, ISM...man, it would be nice to see a couple really emerge.

If AJ is going to play DE I would bet my lunch that it would be over the Nelsons and not over Hesse.
Was it Matt Nelson that lead team in sacks and provided the most pressure most of the year? The larger one I can see moving to tackle and Matt staying outside. Hesse always played on a right handed qbs blind side.That's where AJ should go against the other teams best tackle.

Was it Matt Nelson that lead team in sacks and provided the most pressure most of the year? The larger one I can see moving to tackle and Matt staying outside. Hesse always played on a right handed qbs blind side.That's where AJ should go against the other teams best tackle.

Way off. Here are the stats in order:
Jaleel Johnson 10 TFL 7.5 Sacks
Anthony Nelson 8 TFL 6 Sacks
Parker Hesse 8 TFL 4 Sacks
Matt Nelson 6 TFL 5 Sacks
Nathan Bazata 3 TFL 1.5 Sacks
Cedrick Lattimore 1 TFL 1 Sack

Was Lattimore a true frosh last year? If I recall corectly, he was very well thought of as a recruit. AJ would have to pass some talented and experienced players to see the field. I am not saying he cannot do it, just that it's not a wide open path to playing.

Way off. Here are the stats in order:
Jaleel Johnson 10 TFL 7.5 Sacks
Anthony Nelson 8 TFL 6 Sacks
Parker Hesse 8 TFL 4 Sacks
Matt Nelson 6 TFL 5 Sacks
Nathan Bazata 3 TFL 1.5 Sacks
Cedrick Lattimore 1 TFL 1 Sack
I got the Nelsons mixed up all year long. I just knew one of them was an inch taller and had 20 more lbs or so. I knew the smaller one was who was providing the most pressure off the edge even though he wasn't starting. He provided way more pressure all year long then just the 6 sacks he had too.

I got the Nelsons mixed up all year long. I just knew one of them was an inch taller and had 20 more lbs or so. I knew the smaller one was who was providing the most pressure off the edge even though he wasn't starting. He provided way more pressure all year long then just the 6 sacks he had too.

I agree the Nelsons did pretty damn good in their first year of play. It is my assumption that AJ is likely better than anyone we have so I just evaluated where I thought it was easiest to plug him in at. DT means he only bumps Bazata or Lattimore. To play DE he would have to bump 2 of the 3 Hesse and the Nelsons. You can't convince me that we get more bang for our buck by starting him over one of our already top 3 performers. That is all I'm saying. If you don't agree you can say that. I am not offended, but know that we will only have closure once the 2018 season kicks off.

I agree the Nelsons did pretty damn good in their first year of play. It is my assumption that AJ is likely better than anyone we have so I just evaluated where I thought it was easiest to plug him in at. DT means he only bumps Bazata or Lattimore. To play DE he would have to bump 2 of the 3 Hesse and the Nelsons. You can't convince me that we get more bang for our buck by starting him over one of our already top 3 performers. That is all I'm saying. If you don't agree you can say that. I am not offended, but know that we will only have closure once the 2018 season kicks off.
Oh for sure I won't pretend to have 100% certainty with my predictions. We are a long ways away from kicking off next season. Pretty fair to say they'll all play a lot. Which would be an ideal upgrade since it seems like Iowa's depth on the line is always lacking. I'd rather have all those guys splitting up the reps so any combination of them would be fresh in the 4th quarters of games.

I do believe that this DL group will rival that of Clayborn, Ballard and Binns though over the next 2 seasons. That usually means good things for Iowa's success.

It was already reported that during bowl prep they were looking at Matt Nelson inside. I think we will eventually see a starting DL of AJE, M Nelson, Latimore, and A Nelson. Hesse is just too undersized to be a fulltime starter on an upper level B1G team....

As for the rest of the frosh, I think Brandon Smith is a no brainer. I also think we'll eventually see Hankins be the corner opposite Rugamba. The rest of the WR/DB frosh will cut their teeth on special teams.

I do believe that this DL group will rival that of Clayborn, Ballard and Binns though over the next 2 seasons. That usually means good things for Iowa's success.
Yup. As good as they all were they had next to nobody behind them. They played so many snaps that late in games they were running on fumes. Having 7 or even 8 guys you are confident in rotating in there for meaningful snaps through out the game would be a game changer for us. Should help bridge the gap of young/inexperienced corners that'll be thrown in the fire next yr.

It was already reported that during bowl prep they were looking at Matt Nelson inside. I think we will eventually see a starting DL of AJE, M Nelson, Latimore, and A Nelson. Hesse is just too undersized to be a fulltime starter on an upper level B1G team....

As for the rest of the frosh, I think Brandon Smith is a no brainer. I also think we'll eventually see Hankins be the corner opposite Rugamba. The rest of the WR/DB frosh will cut their teeth on special teams.

Agreed on most points. Except for Hesse. He will be the Mitch King/ Matt Roth level guy this year.Saying he is undersized at 20 years old is a bit of a blind eye to how we bulk kids up by time they are upperclassmen. I bet Hesse will be about 270-275 lbs by summer camp. Just remember that you heard it here first, but I bet Hesse is the second best defensive player this next season behind the "Outlaw". If I am wrong I can live with that, but I won't be wrong for awhile lol.

Agreed on most points. Except for Hesse. He will be the Mitch King/ Matt Roth level guy this year.Saying he is undersized at 20 years old is a bit of a blind eye to how we bulk kids up by time they are upperclassmen. I bet Hesse will be about 270-275 lbs by summer camp. Just remember that you heard it here first, but I bet Hesse is the second best defensive player this next season behind the "Outlaw". If I am wrong I can live with that, but I won't be wrong for awhile lol.

When I said "undersized", I was meaning mainly height. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hesse is only around 6'2" or so....that's awful short for a defensive lineman...especially a DE....

When I said "undersized", I was meaning mainly height. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Hesse is only around 6'2" or so....that's awful short for a defensive lineman...especially a DE....

He is listed at 6-3 so 6-2 is a possible reality. Even if he is at an height disadvantage. He still batted more balls then the 6-8 and 6-7 Nelsons. It is just my gut feeling that Hesse is a gamer and primed to take that Iowa developmental leap. I suppose only time and proof can convince me otherwise.