Which new Frosh FB players might play next year?

uihawk82

Is Epenesa the only one? Seemed like there was another big DLineman who if they have the hands and feet could play.

Are there some WRs that might be able to run some deep routes?

Not sure if you were trying to make a laffy, but you might be right on that one.

I think the Punter will have a shot at the starting spot in summer camp. I think we see AJ at DT on day 1. I think Brandon Smith will start opposite of MVB. ISM I expect to see a little bit of situationally. I think we see Colbert, Creamer and Hankins on special teams at the very least. I dont think we see either of the RB's this year. Pretty sure Wadley and Toks have that locked up. After summer camp we will get a better picture of who is poised to play.

I think the Punter will have a shot at the starting spot in summer camp. I think we see AJ at DT on day 1. I think Brandon Smith will start opposite of MVB. ISM I expect to see a little bit of situationally. I think we see Colbert, Creamer and Hankins on special teams at the very least. I dont think we see either of the RB's this year. Pretty sure Wadley and Toks have that locked up. After summer camp we will get a better picture of who is poised to play.
I agree and would maybe add that big defensive tackle Nixon into a dline rotation.

I agree and would maybe add that big defensive tackle Nixon into a dline rotation.

Body wise I think Nixon has the goods. He did have eligibility issues though. I expect the transition to college to be a little rough for this kid. In my experience that doesn't bode well to contributing early. Hope I'm dead wrong.

Body wise I think Nixon has the goods. He did have eligibility issues though. I expect the transition to college to be a little rough for this kid. In my experience that doesn't bode well to contributing early. Hope I'm dead wrong.
Hopefully the coaches already have tutors lined up for him and the easiest possible classes lol. I think he will be o.k. you don't see too many kids with eligibility issues anymore.

Hopefully the coaches already have tutors lined up for him and the easiest possible classes lol. I think he will be o.k. you don't see too many kids with eligibility issues anymore.

I'm sure there are things we can do to mitigate some of the struggles. Kirk is not real big on babying the football players though. I imagine he will be given the exact same support as every other student athlete. Nothing more nothing less. Part of the maturation process is taking care of business. I'm sure Nixon will be fine it may just take a semester or 2 to get it figured out. This happens to lots of freshman. I had a hard time balancing collegiate academics and social life. I could not even imagine mixing Division 1 football into it lol.

I'm sure there are things we can do to mitigate some of the struggles. Kirk is not real big on babying the football players though. I imagine he will be given the exact same support as every other student athlete. Nothing more nothing less. Part of the maturation process is taking care of business. I'm sure Nixon will be fine it may just take a semester or 2 to get it figured out. This happens to lots of freshman. I had a hard time balancing collegiate academics and social life. I could not even imagine mixing Division 1 football into it lol.

I agree and had the same problems as a freshman at the UI. I had a lot of high school friends go there with me so there is immediate partying and then as he friend network enlarges it just got very difficult for me. I learned a lot about not being ready to study and not having priorities set. Came back to college the next number of years a lot more focused.

AJ hands down. Lots of talk of him ending up at DT. I've heard coaches say 1 yr under Doyle and he'll get up to 300. He's in the 270s now I'm not sure what he played at last yr. I kinda wish he'd just get mean and lean and stay at DE. It'd be a more impactful position. As athletic as he is he could just be a holy terror for the other team coming off the edge. He couldn't make the same impact to the D at DT I don't think anyway..

Brandon Smith I'm not sure will start right away but physically he's ahead of the others with his size hands and athleticism so he'll play some.

2 or 3 of the DBs will be thrown in there not just on special teams. Which ones will emerge is anyones guess.
Some think one of the RBs might play and burn the RS like Toks did. And I could see that happening just to stagger the schollies. If that happens and to whichever one that is they won't have any meaningful reps much like Toks this last yr. Wadley, Toks, and Young should have the rest. (Hopefully that group stays as healthy as they did last yr)

I don't see any other O or D lineman playing. Wieland won't play, Mansell certainly won't play. So that leaves the punter and if he gets it good for him may best man win that job

AJ hands down. Lots of talk of him ending up at DT. I've heard coaches say 1 yr under Doyle and he'll get up to 300. He's in the 270s now I'm not sure what he played at last yr. I kinda wish he'd just get mean and lean and stay at DE. It'd be a more impactful position. As athletic as he is he could just be a holy terror for the other team coming off the edge. He couldn't make the same impact to the D at DT I don't think anyway..

Brandon Smith I'm not sure will start right away but physically he's ahead of the others with his size hands and athleticism so he'll play some.

2 or 3 of the DBs will be thrown in there not just on special teams. Which ones will emerge is anyones guess.
Some think one of the RBs might play and burn the RS like Toks did. And I could see that happening just to stagger the schollies. If that happens and to whichever one that is they won't have any meaningful reps much like Toks this last yr. Wadley, Toks, and Young should have the rest. (Hopefully that group stays as healthy as they did last yr)

I don't see any other O or D lineman playing. Wieland won't play, Mansell certainly won't play. So that leaves the punter and if he gets it good for him may best man win that job

We have a log jam at DE. Nelson/Nelson/Hesse. Those guys should be playing as well. The easiest way to get all these studs playing time is for AJ to play DT. I don't want to see addition by subtraction. If AJ doesn't go to DT then one of these other guys will have to. IMO easier for AJ to just start off there.

Getting pressure up the middle even more important than outside pressure IMO. I have seen to many times our ends crash only to watch a QB step up in the pocket to deliver a strike or run. If there is no pocket that goes away. Middle pressure with out blitzing = winning.

Getting pressure up the middle even more important than outside pressure IMO. I have seen to many times our ends crash only to watch a QB step up in the pocket to deliver a strike or run. If there is no pocket that goes away. Middle pressure with out blitzing = winning.
Honestly, I would love to have AJ in on passing downs as a DT.
Actually, I would love to see an all DE passing down d-line.
From left to right: AN, AJ, MN, PH. You keep A. Nelson who is currently our most dynamic pass rusher on the edge, have AJ with his explosiveness next to him. Matt Nelson clogs the middle passing lanes while Hesse, our second most dynamic rusher (currently) coming.off the other edge. Between the blocked passing lanes due to height and the added explosiveness, we could see many more sacks or forced bad throws with that line up. A heavy raider package.

Honestly, I would love to have AJ in on passing downs as a DT.
Actually, I would love to see an all DE passing down d-line.
From left to right: AN, AJ, MN, PH. You keep A. Nelson who is currently our most dynamic pass rusher on the edge, have AJ with his explosiveness next to him. Matt Nelson clogs the middle passing lanes while Hesse, our second most dynamic rusher (currently) coming.off the other edge. Between the blocked passing lanes due to height and the added explosiveness, we could see many more sacks or forced bad throws with that line up. A heavy raider package.

That would be a nice scheme no doubt. I know that it is used in the NFL. I would expect that Parker keeps it vanilla though. We are not big on plugging people situationally. I think AJ is good enough to be a dominate force anywhere on the line. We have an opening at DT so that is just where I see him playing.

This is very true as you can see with your own eyes and even what an NFL TV analyst once said. The analyst said quick penetration/any penetration up the middle really rattles even the best pro QBs. Good pressure in the eye sight of the QB makes them pull the ball down and it is very hard to reload and throw accurately when the ball is half tucked away. The pros and best college defenses love that double A or B gap blitz.

This is very true as you can see with your own eyes and even what an NFL TV analyst once said. The analyst said quick penetration/any penetration up the middle really rattles even the best pro QBs. Good pressure in the eye sight of the QB makes them pull the ball down and it is very hard to reload and throw accurately when the ball is half tucked away. The pros and best college defenses love that double A or B gap blitz.

Yup. There is legitimate chance that AJ can give us that pressure without the need to blitz LB's or Safeties. Even better yet he might be able to do it from day 1. That's what you bank on with 5* kids. They should be ready to play right away.

Latest posts