Which B1G team WOULD take Burkhead at RB

I think Burkhead is a lot better than people here are giving him credit for. He is being vastly underutilized this year so far - but I would say most teams in the Big 10 would be better off with Burkhead. I would put him right behind Coker and I think that Coker is only behind Wisconsin.

"Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, OSU, NW" were my definite teams. I guess OSU could be a toss up.

Do we not agree that Burkhead sees 8 man fronts each and every game, or at least as much as Iowa was seeing them, even against poor teams? Nebraska cannot throw the ball, as a poster astutely put it, because it looks like Martinez lobbing a watermelon when he throws a football. Every D they face knows they need to run it with either their QB or Burkhead to be successful.

I look at game #1 where Coker was struggling to gain 4-5 yards and McCall went out and got a bunch of yards on 6 carries because of his explosiveness through the hole. I think Coker is a beast and rarely does anything but fall forward after contact. That being said, he does not have the break away speed of Burkhead. We saw that when he couldn't break away from the ULM defender on his one break away run this season. I think Burkhead would have more success than Coker so far this year if he were in an Iowa uniform. Just MHO.

You have to stack seven and eight man fronts to have any shot of beating Michigan State and Wisconsin...and that has been the formula to giving you your best shot of beating Iowa...has been the same against Ohio State.

This is called just another Saturday in the B1G...it ain't unique to Nebraska 2011, and it's ecasserbateqd when your QB can't throw it in the ocean.

Burkehead has more rushing yards than any other Big Ten running back. Give this man some respect. The only Big Ten team that has played a good defense is Penn State, so the schedule is no excuse. I'd take Burkehead over Coker easily, especially with the passing game coming along. He'd be more explosive and hit the second level faster than Coker. Don't forget that Nebraska plays the pistol, so Burkehead has to go 8-9 yards before even hitting the line of scrimmage.

Burkhead is a good, if not explosive back. He reminds me of Adam Robinson. He's not flashy, he's not a bulldozer like Coker. But he gets the job done, and then some. He's just not "sexy".

Burkhead is a good, if not explosive back. He reminds me of Adam Robinson. He's not flashy, he's not a bulldozer like Coker. But he gets the job done, and then some. He's just not "sexy".
Tell me which RB's you think are sexy :confused::eek:;):p:D

Burkehead has more rushing yards than any other Big Ten running back. Give this man some respect. The only Big Ten team that has played a good defense is Penn State, so the schedule is no excuse. I'd take Burkehead over Coker easily, especially with the passing game coming along. He'd be more explosive and hit the second level faster than Coker. Don't forget that Nebraska plays the pistol, so Burkehead has to go 8-9 yards before even hitting the line of scrimmage.

How many rushing yards does he have in conf games? Thats what I thought. Like I said when it comes to B10 play he is unproven. It is a down year for the B10 so he will have an easier time than normal.

Rex is averaging 6.4 yards per carry and had 5.3 against Wisconsin. The thing that is most impressive is his balance. He has a way of staying on his feet and gaining an extra 4-5 yards. ya I would take Burkhead in a heartbeat.

How many rushing yards does he have in conf games? Thats what I thought. Like I said when it comes to B10 play he is unproven. It is a down year for the B10 so he will have an easier time than normal.

Whoa, you got me. He only has 96 yards and 5.3 yards per carry and a TD in conference play. Maybe it's the fact that he's only played one conference game and it just happened to be against a legit NC contender. Other than MSU, he won't play another good defense and with leads late in the game Burkehead is going to get yards in almost every other game. You're right he is unproven other; than Herring and Ball, who isn't?

Whoa, you got me. He only has 96 yards and 5.3 yards per carry and a TD in conference play. Maybe it's the fact that he's only played one conference game and it just happened to be against a legit NC contender. Other than MSU, he won't play another good defense and with leads late in the game Burkehead is going to get yards in almost every other game. You're right he is unproven other; than Herring and Ball, who isn't?

For starters, when all you can do is run, yes people on your team had better get some yards and 96 from him and 61 from Geico boy just doesnt cut it. You also know they only had 32 yards rushing at some time in the second Q. So I think most of those yards came after Wisky started to let up a bit.
You do know Wisky rushed for 183 right, and that was in a game where the air attack was all they needed, so they didnt need to pound the rock. You do know Wisky is not an elite D right?
His longest was 12 and you were saying what speed he had and how once he got thru blah blah. I am not going to argue, cuz I really dont care. I said he seems to be a good kid, but if you think anybody would give up Coker for him (that was the question) you are wrong. Instead of me telling you how many have played B10 ball, why dont you tell me how many RB's in the B10 are getting their first carries.
OH AND STOP WITH THE LEGIT NC CONTENDER AFTER ONE FRIGGING GAME AGAINST AN OVER RANKED TEAM.

Last edited:
Illinois: Yes
Indiana: Definitely
Iowa: More fodder for AIRBHG
Michigan: Yes
Michigan State: Yes
Minnesota: Hell yes
Northwestern: Yes
Ohio State: Yes
Penn State: Yes
Purdue: Definitely
Wisconsin: Yes

For starters, when all you can do is run, yes people on your team had better get some yards and 96 from him and 61 from Geico boy just doesnt cut it. You also know they only had 32 yards rushing at some time in the second Q. So I think most of those yards came after Wisky started to let up a bit.
You do know Wisky rushed for 183 right, and that was in a game where the air attack was all they needed, so they didnt need to pound the rock. You do know Wisky is not an elite D right?
His longest was 12 and you were saying what speed he had and how once he got thru blah blah. I am not going to argue, cuz I really dont care. I said he seems to be a good kid, but if you think anybody would give up Coker for him (that was the question) you are wrong. Instead of me telling you how many have played B10 ball, why dont you tell me how many RB's in the B10 are getting their first carries.
OH AND STOP WITH THE LEGIT NC CONTENDER AFTER ONE FRIGGING GAME AGAINST AN OVER RANKED TEAM.
Umm looks to me like the OL has something to do with it.
Ball is no better than Burkhead but Ball has some massive beef in front of him that know how to engage and control the opponent.

dumbest post of this thread. you win. ball is twice the running back burkhead is and I'm sure your about to see several people agree with this. Ball is explosive, powerful, agile, and fast. He is on a whole different level thank freaking Rex burkhead of the little reds.

Overall a good question Jon. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer. I just happen to think that when the dust settles in December, Burkhead will be one of the top 2 RB's in the league with Monte Ball being the other. It will be made even more impressive by the fact Neb will face more 8 man fronts than any team in the Big Ten. They don't have any other card to play.

Don't write off coker yet this pass is going to open up some opportunities I'm calling him second or third but ahead a burkehead still.

Any team would be stupid not want Burkhead. Now would all of these teams trade their #1 RB for him? I doubt it. He may not fit the bill for certain teams, and I'm sure that there are a couple of better backs in the league.

The guy is good at everything, maybe not great, but good. He has good not great speed, catches the ball well, rarely fumbles, blocks well, and heck, he used to play QB. The thing that is most overlooked is that he is a very good short yardage back, he has the ability to get 2 yards when you need 1, and he is very good at going into contact, keeping his balance, glancing off of tackles, and getting you an extra 3, 4, or 4 yards. He did average over 5 ypc against the top team in the B1G, so I think that he will be just fine, barring injury.

Any team would be stupid not want Burkhead. Now would all of these teams trade their #1 RB for him? I doubt it. He may not fit the bill for certain teams, and I'm sure that there are a couple of better backs in the league.

The guy is good at everything, maybe not great, but good. He has good not great speed, catches the ball well, rarely fumbles, blocks well, and heck, he used to play QB. The thing that is most overlooked is that he is a very good short yardage back, he has the ability to get 2 yards when you need 1, and he is very good at going into contact, keeping his balance, glancing off of tackles, and getting you an extra 3, 4, or 4 yards. He did average over 5 ypc against the top team in the B1G, so I think that he will be just fine, barring injury.

This. Not every team would trade their #1 for him (I don't see MSU wanting Burkhead over Baker, for example), but there is no team that is too good to say they wouldn't want him under any circumstance.