Where'd this season come from?

tweeterhawk

What happened to allow this team to start 7-0, with a very real shot of being the B1G West champion and being no push-over in the conference championship game and in early (premature?) consideration for the national playoffs? I'm honestly not recalling a highly-ranked recruiting class in the last 3-4 years that is contributing to this year's success. Nor is there coming to mind a game-changing hire on staff who could account for this (anyone suggesting Greg Davis needs to be perma-banned.) Was it just a bounce of the ball that so far has favored Iowa? Navel-gazing by the coaches following the bowl game debacle? Favorable consideration by the B1G schedulers?

Discuss.

What happened to allow this team to start 7-0, with a very real shot of being the B1G West champion and being no push-over in the conference championship game and in early (premature?) consideration for the national playoffs? I'm honestly not recalling a highly-ranked recruiting class in the last 3-4 years that is contributing to this year's success. Nor is there coming to mind a game-changing hire on staff who could account for this (anyone suggesting Greg Davis needs to be perma-banned.) Was it just a bounce of the ball that so far has favored Iowa? Navel-gazing by the coaches following the bowl game debacle? Favorable consideration by the B1G schedulers?

Discuss.
The favorable part of the schedule has not occurred yet, so that can't be. Three things - 1) Beathard, 2) Many of us discounted the Ferentz press conference in January about re-evaluating everything and he re-dedicating himself (my word) to football; I think these efforts are showing up and 3) A strong group of seniors who are pulling everyone along, where the whole is greater than the parts. I recall Blythe saying earlier this year that he didn't come to Iowa to win 7 games a year. It's simple, but I think it speaks a ton as to their attitude and performance this year. They have not been lucky, they've been the better team.

The favorable part of the schedule has not occurred yet, so that can't be. Three things - 1) Beathard, 2) Many of us discounted the Ferentz press conference in January about re-evaluating everything and he re-dedicating himself (my word) to football; I think these efforts are showing up and 3) A strong group of seniors who are pulling everyone along, where the whole is greater than the parts. I recall Blythe saying earlier this year that he didn't come to Iowa to win 7 games a year. It's simple, but I think it speaks a ton as to their attitude and performance this year. They have not been lucky, they've been the better team.

pretty good summary.

With regard to #2, as much as people love to say "you think Ferentz cares what YOU think?"... you can bet the cumulative mass of criticism from fans, players (yes, some of his players), broadcasters, writers and even his peers...finally got to him. He rediscovered his motivation...via a healthy dose of humility. We're seeing the best of Kirk again, not the "I've been reading my press clippings and think I'm above it all" Kirk.

This team also has a special chemistry...forged from disappointment and reinforced by strong leaders, in particular at QB. How the hell CJ sat on the bench last year is still a head-shaker. I get a kick out of all the praise outsiders give Kirk for making the call on CJ in January...when so many close to the program would suggest it was 4 months overdue.

Either way...it's great to see a team like the kind Kirk put on the field before. I,along with many others, did not think he had another round in him, he looked like a guy who was done.

I'm thrilled to be wrong. This team is classic IOWA football.

Last edited:

Right on Homes. Good Post

I don't think re-dedicating is the right word, he has been here 17 years, right?

pretty good summary.

With regard to #2,orced by strong leaders, in particular at QB. How the hell CJ sat on the bench last year is still a head-shaker. I get a kick out of all the praise outsiders give Kirk for making the call on CJ in January...when so many close to the program would suggest it was 4 months overdue.

I'm thrilled to be wrong.

I am not close to the program like many many other fans who thought CJ should have been the QB after the Ball St game and especially after Pitt 2nd hald and the Purdue games last year. It was a head scratcher for sure and one of the things that some people said maybe divided the team last year.

The main contributing factor right now, that we haven't had since Norm, is an elite defense. Iowa ranks 12th in total defense, 4th in rush defense, and 10th in scoring defense. The second most important factor is using an actual running back as our primary ball carrier as well as having a home run threat QB who can go throw downfield. CJB's ability to create and make something out of nothing has also been huge.

Iowa is winning the close games this year. CJB is a clutch QB who can make plays in the 4th quarter. The OL and DL play has been outstanding. Our LBs are much improved.This team has a special chemistry led by some great seniors and other leaders. Enjoy this team because you won't see it very often. I think CJB is the biggest factor; as long as he is in there the entire team believes it can win. Gotta keep him on the field!

I was watching Game Day live the other night, and they were discussing Iowa being 7-0. They hit a good point on how we have a season like this one every now and again. Their answer to it was, Iowa don't have big time recruiting classes like other Programs do, and we don't have many players that leave early for the NFL, so that equals a lot of juniors and seniors with a lot of experience every few years. I got to thinking about it, and it really does make sense. What does everyone else think about that?

It started the day that CJ was named starting QB. Jake then became a senior and worked out with the graduating seniors. Not to bash Jake, but leadership is not his strength. The leadership completely turned over to the then juniors, including CJ. That group completely changed the culture and got rid of the me first mentality of many of the seniors last year.

Nobody predicted 7-0, but the culture changed in January. From the top on down

CJB. Honestly, he has kept countless drives alive, with his skillset, including keeping teams honest with increased vertical threat. CJ has been unbelievable, even at 60%. Absolute difference maker.

RB skill, depth/health. I absolutely loved MW, but this stable of backs simply give us something we haven't had for years.

Development / Growth (many positions, namely Oline and LB, have improved much quicker than expected)

We were very close to winning the West last year. If we beat Wisky instead of losing by 2, we would have drilled Nebraska and won the West. I'm not shocked that we are contending for the West crown but I am pleasantly surprised that we are 7-0. I think we will win at least 4 of the last 5 and win the West. Probably lose to OSU and go to the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize. Pretty nice I would say.

I know people get tired of hearing it but it takes all three phases to be successful.Our special teams weren't up to par last year so other teams usually had good field position. Everyone on offense and defense working together. I think the biggest reason is no big heads,they compete with each other for playing time but come game day their all rooting for who ever is in there.When your a stud coming out of high school and then not playing as much as you would like in college it's hard to adjust for some.

We were very close to winning the West last year. If we beat Wisky instead of losing by 2, we would have drilled Nebraska and won the West. I'm not shocked that we are contending for the West crown but I am pleasantly surprised that we are 7-0. I think we will win at least 4 of the last 5 and win the West. Probably lose to OSU and go to the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize. Pretty nice I would say.

This...........we were close, but so far away, last year. Good post, Smarthawk

Never should have lost to Clowns, or Debbie.
And, had our Defense stopped Connie in 2nd half, even once,
Iowa wins that one, too

#goHawks

I was watching Game Day live the other night, and they were discussing Iowa being 7-0. They hit a good point on how we have a season like this one every now and again. Their answer to it was, Iowa don't have big time recruiting classes like other Programs do, and we don't have many players that leave early for the NFL, so that equals a lot of juniors and seniors with a lot of experience every few years. I got to thinking about it, and it really does make sense. What does everyone else think about that?

another generic theory that doesn't apply. IOWA's two deep is heavy with underclassmen this year.

Secondarily, if guys don't leave early...then we should consistently have lots of Jrs and Srs with experience... not just "every few years".

I don't understand the whole "we're a developmental team so it takes a few years to get seniors ready to contribute". Aren't there seniors on every team? Even when you're a developmental team, you should have a steady flow of developed players.

another generic theory that doesn't apply. IOWA's two deep is heavy with underclassmen this year.

Secondarily, if guys don't leave early...then we should consistently have lots of Jrs and Srs with experience... not just "every few years".

Actually it does, but in reverse. We do consistently have juniors and seniors with experience. We are a developmental program. Every few years we land a class with more than a couple of the "diamonds in the rough" or "hidden gems" or {insert cliche here}. If you look back at the very successful teams in the Ferentz years, they have been junior and senior laden but have a number of sophomores or red-shirts who have contributed heavily.

Iowa is winning the close games this year. CJB is a clutch QB who can make plays in the 4th quarter. The OL and DL play has been outstanding. Our LBs are much improved.This team has a special chemistry led by some great seniors and other leaders. Enjoy this team because you won't see it very often. I think CJB is the biggest factor; as long as he is in there the entire team believes it can win. Gotta keep him on the field!

Latest posts