Where Would You Build a New Arena?

Recently, I started using the Cambus from Hancher. I highly recommend. They constantly run buses from an hour before game time right up to tip off. The make the return trip during and after the game. There is virtually no wait either direction. They drop you off within 10 yards of the East entry. And, it free. 5 minute ride to the game. 10 minutes return trip. 10 more minutes and I have an Amber Bock at Tailgaters.

When I was a kid back in the 80s and I used to go to games with my old man, that was what we always did. Easy in, easy out.

I don't know anyone who likes Carver (it's not a basketball arena) - it's basically the exact opposite of Kinnick in terms of home field advantage. Structurally, it's just terribly designed and there's no remodel that can fix it. It's also not student friendly in terms of location, or fan friendly for that matter. There's little parking available outside the stadium that doesn't require a long uphill climb in the dead of winter.
Besides just building a new, better arena which would improve fan attendance, where would you build it? I can't think of any place downtown (parking would still be a major issue) and if it's built to accommodate parking then it wouldn't be easily accessible to students. Any ideas/suggestions?

Arenas are like schools. The buildings are not what makes them.

It's still architecturally flawed regardless of the team on the floor. It would improve with a better product and a coach the fanbase was more behind but that doesn't fix the problems of Carver. Definitely in the bottom 1/3 of BIG arenas.

Seriously, how is it architecturally flawed? There is not a bad sight line in the place. Can the seating be reconfigured to make a more raucous atmosphere, yes, but that doesn't make it architecturally flawed.

The seating expands rather than stacks up so sound escapes as opposed to being trapped (which would be preferred), that along with fans being so far away from the floor go into not being able to create a real home court advantage. It also makes it harder to sell to recruits.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it is a code violation to have such steep angles or steps. I'm sure the old Field House would not make the building/engineering codes if built like that today.

Indiana's arena prob does not meet code but is Grandfathered in. If they were to build a new one, it would probably be quite different and boring to meet code.

I wish there was a quick fix to the environment at Carver... The combination of empty seats and those that do fill them being of the older sit on their hands variety who all leave early regardless of the score is pretty frustrating. It's harder to figure out the student section part too because for football we have the best. As good as it gets but for hoops not so much. There's no building new anywhere as the practice facility is pretty new yet. And as has been brought up where do you even put it? Off campus anywhere would be a terrible idea. I don't know where on campus there even is to consider it. So it is what it is... It's on the fans to make it happen the administration sure isn't any good at it

The last time Barta spoke about renovations at Carver he said projects like a new clubhouse at Finkbine and a new boat house for the rowing program ranked higher on the priority list following the Kinnick expansion and are under way. Barta would love to do something about the basketball venue I'm sure, whether that is renovations or replacement. When non-revenue sports are getting their projects done before a major revenue sport because donors are stepping up for those non-revenue sports and not basketball, that is an issue. I don't think you will see any major changes to Carver, much less a new arena, until there is a change at the head coach position that gets the donors excited again.

But I will humor the OP anyway. I don't see any space for a new arena on campus or anywhere in Iowa City limits close to campus. I think a new arena would be built on the current site of CHA and home games would have to be moved to Cedar Rapids or the QC for one season while the new building is built. Maybe some lower attendance games could be played at the new ice arena in Coralville.

Build it in Shueyville.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it is a code violation to have such steep angles or steps. I'm sure the old Field House would not make the building/engineering codes if built like that today.

Indiana's arena prob does not meet code but is Grandfathered in. If they were to build a new one, it would probably be quite different and boring to meet code.

New arenas have been built and it isn't an issue. The main thing is that it's a basketball arena, and not a multi-purpose arena like Carver is.

New arenas have been built and it isn't an issue. The main thing is that it's a basketball arena, and not a multi-purpose arena like Carver is.
I dunno if they could get away with that. I mean sure Carver would still be there for volleyball and wrestling but my guess is they wouldn't want to be left behind...

The last time Barta spoke about renovations at Carver he said projects like a new clubhouse at Finkbine and a new boat house for the rowing program ranked higher on the priority list following the Kinnick expansion and are under way. Barta would love to do something about the basketball venue I'm sure, whether that is renovations or replacement. When non-revenue sports are getting their projects done before a major revenue sport because donors are stepping up for those non-revenue sports and not basketball, that is an issue. I don't think you will see any major changes to Carver, much less a new arena, until there is a change at the head coach position that gets the donors excited again.

But I will humor the OP anyway. I don't see any space for a new arena on campus or anywhere in Iowa City limits close to campus. I think a new arena would be built on the current site of CHA and home games would have to be moved to Cedar Rapids or the QC for one season while the new building is built. Maybe some lower attendance games could be played at the new ice arena in Coralville.

For the non-revenue sports, you're talking about a few million dollars for a donor to have a building named in their honor that helps foster a sport they likely have a highly personal stake in and will help to improve significantly. That's an easy sell. For Carver, no one has a good answer as to how you solve it's problems. It's been a decent arena and it's frequently at capacity for wrestling and basketball events. It's recently had a rather expensive improvements for the offices, practice facilities, and scoreboards.

To improve it further, it needs to move to a better location, but I somewhat disagree that all locations are occupied. To me, there's one general area that makes a modicum of sense for improving attendance: the Hancher Parking lot/old art buildings area. Several still sit empty or are limping along like the theater building. It would make it a 5 minute walk from the east and west side dorms with easier access from the interstate. However, it would also require significant flood mitigation measures and likely a parking ramp or two to handle the reduction in available parking area. IMO this is the most viable long term solution when someone decides it's more cost effective than tearing Carver down and starting from scratch. But I see that as 20+ years out when the new offices and practice facilities have lost their shine.

Finally, I think you hit the nail on the head for the short term answer. Schedule the cupcakes/awkwardly timed 6pm on a Tuesday night games in the new arena.

I dunno if they could get away with that. I mean sure Carver would still be there for volleyball and wrestling but my guess is they wouldn't want to be left behind...

Carver could still be used for these sports as you mentioned (and should be). But come on, volleyball and wrestling shouldn't be considered when building an arena. Basketball isn't even considered in the landscape of college athletics anymore. It's all about football. Translation; it's all about the money. The volleyball program, or any other program that isn't profitable shouldn't even be considered.

Carver could still be used for these sports as you mentioned (and should be). But come on, volleyball and wrestling shouldn't be considered when building an arena. Basketball isn't even considered in the landscape of college athletics anymore. It's all about football. Translation; it's all about the money. The volleyball program, or any other program that isn't profitable shouldn't even be considered.
You won't get an argument out of me on that. I just figure it'll never fly. Due to title 9 and all that jazz. My guess is Carver will be used till they about have to condemn it. There isn't an obvious location to build a new one. Hard telling how much 'sprucing' up of Carver will prolong it's use. But they'll need to figure it out as time goes on here.

I've been to plenty of newer arenas with steeper angles. Nearly all of them, actually. That's problem #2.

Problem #1 was, CHA was built to accommodate wresting tournaments...that compromised the setup for basketball.

With the irregular schedules including very few Saturday home games caused by televison, mega HD tvs, and traveling in the winter, coupled with the cost of construction and revenue coming from tv contracts (hence the irregular schedule), building a Palestra-sized arena seems like the better business model these days versus 15,000+ sized places.

I remember back in the 80's they were talking about moving Kinnick over by IC West HS, across the street where they have all that land. The soccer field is there now. Word was the UofI Hospital wanted the area where Kinnick is. If there is still enough land space in that area, that would be an excellent location for a new basketball arena, plus it's a 1 minute drive from I-380.