Where would DJK have gone?

I spent a lot of time w/ DJK last weekend. A couple of things-

1. He told me privately, and also said publicly on Murph & Andy's show that he did not expect to get drafted. So yesterday was not a huge surprise.

2. He has had a lot of contact w/ NFL teams, and he will be on a roster when the lockout is lifted.

If you truly think he's not good enough to play in the NFL you are one of two things- not smart when it comes to evaluating talent OR simply a DJK hater.

There is nothing wrong with being either, but if you think he can't play in a league where Austin Collie can, you may be both.

The arrest not being considered, he is too small, the plethora of other disciplinary issues, he ran a bad 40 so he does not have the speed to be a burner in the NFL.

I like DJK and think he did great things for the team (he will also be on a NFL team) but Ballard was never caught in a drug house with a scale on the coffee table.

Last edited:

1. He told me privately, and also said publicly on Murph & Andy's show that he did not expect to get drafted. So yesterday was not a huge surprise.

2. He has had a lot of contact w/ NFL teams, and he will be on a roster when the lockout is lifted.

If you truly think he's not good enough to play in the NFL you are one of two things- not smart when it comes to evaluating talent OR simply a DJK hater.

There is nothing wrong with being either, but if you think he can't play in a league where Austin Collie can, you may be both.

He could play in the league, but there are about a 100 other WRs out there right now who are not in the NFL who could say the same thing. As a marginal NFL prospect to begin with, getting arrested and kicked off your team is not a wise thing to do. He will get a chance in somebody's camp and I hope he sticks, but I think it's a long shot.

The arrest not being considered, he is too small, the plethora of other disciplinary issues, he ran a bad 40 so he does not have the speed to be a burner in the NFL.

I like DJK and think he did great things for the team (he will also be on a NFL team) but Ballard was never caught in a drug house with a scale on the coffee table.

you dont have to be a burner to play wr in the nfl.

he never got caught from behind at Iowa and had some long passes and returns. too small? look at a nfl
roster some time and get back to me. He also did the second or third highest of reps on the bench of all wrs tested, so hes plenty strong enough. BTW he did more than clayborn or ballard, both who outweigh him by 70 pounds.

a drug house? please. The charges against the roommate have already been pled down to one charge.

It was a college kid(the roommate)selling pot to other college kids.

you know what else Ballard never did? (other than the play against ASU)?

made a big play.

"plethora of other disciplinary issues" . please. if he was that bad of an actor, whyd Kirk never make him sit a game or two?

some of you dudes who claim Derrell isnt talented enough to play in the NFL need to stick to your ps2 GAMES.

"too small"

to show you how uninformed this opinion is, I looked at the rosters of 8 teams, AFC west and East.

there were 15 WRS on those teams 5-11 or smaller. If we assume the numbers are pretty steady throughout the league, theres around 60 WRS in the NFL 5-11 or shorter.

Evans
parrish
Holmes
Branch
Edelman
Jenkins
Welker
Royal
Chambers
McCluster
Williams
Ford
Bedford
Higgins
Miller

source: ESPN NFL football site rosters

you dont have to be a burner to play wr in the nfl.

he never got caught from behind at Iowa and had some long passes and returns. too small? look at a nfl
roster some time and get back to me. He also did the second or third highest of reps on the bench of all wrs tested, so hes plenty strong enough. BTW he did more than clayborn or ballard, both who outweigh him by 70 pounds.

a drug house? please. The charges against the roommate have already been pled down to one charge.

It was a college kid(the roommate)selling pot to other college kids.

you know what else Ballard never did? (other than the play against ASU)?

made a big play.

"plethora of other disciplinary issues" . please. if he was that bad of an actor, whyd Kirk never make him sit a game or two?

some of you dudes who claim Derrell isnt talented enough to play in the NFL need to stick to your ps2 GAMES.

Those were just reasons he was not going to get drafted with out the arrest. Not saying it is an eliminating factor but when you add them all together... That is why he didn't get drafted.

Look back at how many times he was not in the two deeps before games how many games he did not start. He was too talented to suspend for multiple games.

Last edited:
Those were just reasons he was not going to get drafted with out the arrest. Not saying it is an eliminating factor but when you add them all together... That is why he didn't get drafted.

Look back at how many times he was not in the two deeps before games how many games he did not start. He was too talented to suspend for multiple games.

too talented to suspend?

I hope thats not true. If it is, its a poor reflection on the staff.

That settles it.

Depends on the infraction. If they were major I am sure he would be suspended but he was not named the starter many times when he was clearly the best WR on the team. He still made it into the game at some point.

He was almost certainly to be drafted rounds 4-7 if he stayed clean. Ballard was a 2-3rd round pick who slid to the 5th cause he smoked pot. 5 round picks who get busted for Coke don't get drafted at all.

Rounds 3-5....He would have had a good pro day and combine. A good KR, who would have put up good numbers with the reps at 225 lbs., 4.5 forty and his overall career production would have got him drafted.

If you are DJK you are praying that this lockout ends as soon as possible. DJK's agent really, really needs to do his homework and put him in the best possible situation because he may only get one shot at this.

Patriots- Have a reputation for finding guys out of nowhere and making them players. If they can convert Edelman into a decent receiver there is a spot for DJK.

Colts- They can make about anybody into a receiver.....DJK is just as good as Blair White.

Bears- They need bodies at wide receiver.....maybe DJK gets lucky, right place, right time.

Of course he will. If Ballard is going to play, why wouldn't DJK? Ballard is just as guilty...in the eyes of the NFL. Maybe more so, considering the timing.

I could care less if DJK ever plays in the NFL. DJK and Ballard are a slap in the face to the IOWA Football program. WTF was Ballard thinking? I guess he would rather smoke weed than play in the NFL. Furthermore, having a autograph session for DJK was one of the dumbest ideas I have seen in IOWA Football history. Way to glorify DJK and put him on a pedestal for being a druggie! That's not what IOWA Football is all about. I don't want to hear any comparatives to other Football programs. What this program seems to lack here latley in DISCIPLINE!

So, uh, you DO care about DJK then? I digress. Pretty sure that autograph session had nothing to do with the Iowa football program. Don't think they had any part of setting that up, but I don't know that.

I would say 5-6 round if he doesn't get in trouble. He'll have a tryout or two and should make a team fairly quick.

So, uh, you DO care about DJK then? I digress. Pretty sure that autograph session had nothing to do with the Iowa football program. Don't think they had any part of setting that up, but I don't know that.

I would say 5-6 round if he doesn't get in trouble. He'll have a tryout or two and should make a team fairly quick.

I'm surprised any Iowa fan would want or pay for an autograph from DJK after he let down the Iowa Football program. I know it wasn't endorsed by the UI.

I hope he gets a shot. I really do. I think he will get a shot and then its up to him.

As for whether he is not good enough to play in the NFL, those that don't think so are not as you describe them. He ran a 4.50 at his workouts before scouts, and that would have been a top 11 time at the combine...he put up a lot of reps of 225, so that was good. He is not 6-0 tall, which is a bit of a hinderance.

His abilities in the return game will get him his shot...then he has to show value as a receiver as well as in the return game to stick. He'll then get the league minimum for three or four years...if he can walk the line during that time, he can have a shot at a second contract.

I'd say the odds of him making an NFL roster are 70% against...again, that's not what I want to see, and I know he doesn't care about that sort of thing...all he wants, and needs, is one team and the right time to offer him a shot...the rest is up to him.

However, for you to say that those who think he won't make an NFL roster don't know what they are talking about is a reach, and jaded from your personal feelings. Quite a few people are pulling for him, but that doesnt hide the reality of the obstacles before him

No, just some people aren't *******. The kid smoked some dope and did some blow. Big F'in deal. Grow a pair people.

Are you kidding me?!?! This is NO BIG DEAL to you?!?! So this type of behavior and drug use is acceptable to you? It amazes me we have people in the Hawkeye Nation with this type of attitude.

My DJK prediction is that he's good enough to play in the NFL and will get his shot. It seems he got lots of shots here at Iowa, but never could seem to do what was asked of him off the playing field. I suspect the same thing will transpire in his NFL career and he won't last long in the NFL.

Latest posts