Where was Uthoff?

I agree Jon Uthoff is just not use to the brand of play that B1G teams are bringing. My issues lies in putting Jok out there for 5 minutes last night...somebody explain that one to me???
Let me explain Jok to you... Wait, didn't you read my post just before yours?
Fran is looking for shooters.... anywhere. Evidently, as you say, Uthoff is not confident in his outside shot, and he gets killed when he drives to the basket, especially now when the whole Iowa team is in a shooting funk.
Why Fran plays McCabe for stretches in the game... Certainly not for his defense. 'Cause he's fearless as a shooter. Unlike how most Hawks have become. What's the sports cliché? Mental toughness?

Last edited:
Why is that?

is it aggressiveness or toughness?

he definitely has skills

He has some offensive skills. Defensively he looks lost a lot. He is also soft with the ball. His passes aren't crisp and he floats them a lot which leads to turnovers. While he can shoot well, he doesn't look for his shot enough. And because he's soft with the ball he has problems rebounding.

Uthoff simply needs to get stronger. He knows what he wants to do out there but gets pushed around too easily. Countless times he gets bumped while going for a rebound and isn't able to grab it with two hands, so he tries with one and it gets slapped around and doesn't get the ball. That said, he still gets plenty of rebounds because of his length and because he usually gets good position when not being physically outmatched. His offensive game can be sick at times. His step back jumper is a thing of beauty for a guy his size. The future is a bright one for him.

Thanks, I know your right. But it does seem when decides to He is able to get some half court game going It just doent happen often
Because the opponents are taking away transition and making Iowa play half court.

White is really easy to guard in the half court because his offensive game is very limited.

For all intents and purposes, Utoff is a freshman

yes, he had two years of practice -- but that doesn't fully prepare him to the physicality and speed of B1G play -- he's hit the wall, like mike and woody did this time last year

I still expect him to be a the second leading scorer next year at about 12ppg.

A college freshman? Get real. The guy is 3 years removed from high school. No reason to still be that skinny and weak. He's had 3 summers of S&C work with college level trainers and coaches.

He doesn't have game experience but players get better in practice, not in games.

He's a year OLDER than MikeG and Woodbury

For all intents and purposes, Utoff is a freshman

yes, he had two years of practice -- but that doesn't fully prepare him to the physicality and speed of B1G play -- he's hit the wall, like mike and woody did this time last year

I still expect him to be a the second leading scorer next year at about 12ppg.

I also think the NCAA will be less physical and he could step up...agree with the rest of your post.

He's been a bigger factor than McCabe for the minutes - and if you want to talk about non-factors where is Aaron White disappearing to in so many of these games. Marble and White should be much bigger factors consistently than what they are. I'm wondering again if the amount of rotation kills some of this as you need a unit that is consistent and knows eachother which takes time out on the court together.

I will summarize. This is incorrect.

I agree Jon Uthoff is just not use to the brand of play that B1G teams are bringing. My issues lies in putting Jok out there for 5 minutes last night...somebody explain that one to me???

Jok has improved immensely...especially on defense. I was watching him and he was moving very smoothly, in the right place on defense, etc. He's clearly improved during practice and I won't be surprised if his minutes start to increase. The fact he's a shooter and we're not shooting well is another reason to give him a serious look.

Windsor, could be right about Jok. Fran was looking at him for a reason. Would be nice if he could give us 10 good min. a game and make teams pay from three. Might also help JO

Windsor, could be right about Jok. Fran was looking at him for a reason. Would be nice if he could give us 10 good min. a game and make teams pay from three. Might also help JO

I should have added that Fran said in an interview that Jok has been practicing too well not to get him some minutes. This is all good news on Jok...improving, not getting down due to lack of PT, etc. It appears that Fran and his assistants are "developing" another player...a kid with tons of upside.

Almost seems like you need to play him to coach that out of him. We need somebody at his skill level in the game with Marble and White. So the answer is to play a guy with ZERO timidity who just jacks up shots left and right?

He is just lacking in aggressiveness....way too timid the last few weeks.

Almost seems like you need to play him to coach that out of him. We need somebody at his skill level in the game with Marble and White. So the answer is to play a guy with ZERO timidity who just jacks up shots left and right?

Both Uthoff and McCabe are terrible, doesn't really make a difference who plays. Neither of them should be getting B10 mins.

Thanks, I know your right. But it does seem when decides to He is able to get some half court game going It just doent happen often

The thing he could do is try to post up these guys that are 6 inches shorter gaurding him every game but that seems to be unfamilliar concept to this whole team and coach.

The thing he could do is try to post up these guys that are 6 inches shorter gaurding him every game but that seems to be unfamilliar concept to this whole team and coach.

I don't know where the post up lovefest came from? All I here is, post up White, post up Uthoff. Is it because Hoiberg posts up Kane once or twice a game so we should do that too? It's just not a part of the offense that we run. The few times White gets posted up he gets the ball and might score or more likely miss while everyone else is standing around a 3 point line that they can't shoot from. Does Uthoff even have a post up game? Can he even post up with his featherweight body? 6 inches can be pretty easily offset by 25 pounds.

Depends on the other two in the lineup. If it's Uthoff and Olaseni then yes, please play Jok. Any of his wildness becomes a long rebound that these wingspans should quickly snuff. Jok-Olaseni-White is intriguing. Fearless Jok, super-agressive Olaseni, passive with NBA talent White. Just so White can watch how a freshman and a guy who didn't touch a basketball until he was 15 handle themselves. No, I don't believe we need Jok in with Marble and White in the lineup. Only one basketball, only one hoop. I could close my eyes and imagine Jok and Marble letting so many shots fly so fast the globe would go into reverse like in that one Superman movie. However, combining our three pure natural scorers in another lineup that no doubt features two other people who could EASILY score 10, 15, 20 themselves? Not enough ball to satisfy the supply and demand for everybody who wants to be the ball handler.

Latest posts