Where was Uthoff?

Linesetter

Did he even play in the second half? I thought the hawks would be getting a lot more from him at this point.

i also thought he'd be getting more minutes

He is just lacking in aggressiveness....way too timid the last few weeks.

The Big 10 game is moving too fast for him. He may get only 6 to 8 minutes a game for the rest of the season.

I think Iowa should play 8 guys and give Marble, White, and Gesell at least 30 minutes each. Don't bring in players #9 and #10 except in certain situations. The 6, 7, and 8 guys should be Olaseni, Oglesby, and McCabe. This would require playing guys more minutes even if they pick up 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes.

Last edited:
He's been in over his head in the B10. He's been the biggest disappointment of the season to me, I know it's his first year playing but he had two fulls years of development in B10 programs to get ready.

He's been in over his head in the B10. He's been the biggest disappointment of the season to me, I know it's his first year playing but he had two fulls years of development in B10 programs to get ready.

Ummmm.... you are crazy. I had no real idea what Uthoff would play like. In the early non conf against bad teams I saw things I liked but wanted to see him vs the better non conf teams. He has been pretty consistent in what parts of his game you see at times. He needs some more strength and should develop that. He will never be a bulky guy but he can get stronger.

If he got consistent minutes I believe by the end of the year he would make major strides. This rotation Fran insists on kills some flow/development of players with less true game experience. Remember our seniors all played a crap ton early because the team was awful. They could make mistakes and keep playing because there was no one else to put in remember devon archie type guys on the bench.

Ummmm.... you are crazy. I had no real idea what Uthoff would play like. In the early non conf against bad teams I saw things I liked but wanted to see him vs the better non conf teams. He has been pretty consistent in what parts of his game you see at times. He needs some more strength and should develop that. He will never be a bulky guy but he can get stronger.

If he got consistent minutes I believe by the end of the year he would make major strides. This rotation Fran insists on kills some flow/development of players with less true game experience. Remember our seniors all played a crap ton early because the team was awful. They could make mistakes and keep playing because there was no one else to put in remember devon archie type guys on the bench.

He doesn't deserve major minutes. He's been a non-factor in pretty much every B10 game. For us to challenge for the B10 title, he needed to establish himself as a third scoring option behind Marble and White, hasn't come close to happening.

Can't be a factor when you don't play. I figured he just doesn't play in the 2nd half. Too many questions. I agree an 8 man rotation, but McCabe's minutes would go to Uthoff. McCabe had 21 minutes tonight. Those minutes were more than Gabe and Uthoff. I would give McCabe 5-6 minutes and split the other 15 between those two. Oglesby in the rotation as a guard. Dev plays the point when Mike comes out and vice versa. Fran has lost his mind on this depth thing and it is hurting the quality of play.

He doesn't deserve major minutes. He's been a non-factor in pretty much every B10 game. For us to challenge for the B10 title, he needed to establish himself as a third scoring option behind Marble and White, hasn't come close to happening.

I agree Uthoff has been way to weak and timid.

That being said I would rather see him in there more often instead of McCabe getting so many minutes.

The upside is so much greater, and MCabe does a ton of awful things in addition to the few things hes does well.

He's been a bigger factor than McCabe for the minutes - and if you want to talk about non-factors where is Aaron White disappearing to in so many of these games. Marble and White should be much bigger factors consistently than what they are. I'm wondering again if the amount of rotation kills some of this as you need a unit that is consistent and knows eachother which takes time out on the court together.

We need to somehow mix Zach's extreme aggressiveness/confidence with Jarrod's timidness. Or just leave Zach on the bench..either works for me.

Key to playing for Fran: just run around with your head cut off and shoot the rock no matter where yer at on the court as long as yer sort of open. Sad when our '3 point threat' was our Center 4 years ago..............and who really isnt a 3 pt. threat............................. More. Depth! Why. Doesn't. Denning. and. Stokes. Play. MOOORE!!!??? MORE DEPTH CANT HURT!

For all intents and purposes, Utoff is a freshman

yes, he had two years of practice -- but that doesn't fully prepare him to the physicality and speed of B1G play -- he's hit the wall, like mike and woody did this time last year

I still expect him to be a the second leading scorer next year at about 12ppg.

Fran is looking for shooters.... anywhere. Evidently, as you say, Uthoff is not confident in his outside shot, and he gets killed when he drives to the basket, especially now when the whole Iowa team is in a shooting funk.

I agree Jon Uthoff is just not use to the brand of play that B1G teams are bringing. My issues lies in putting Jok out there for 5 minutes last night...somebody explain that one to me???

He just isn't ready. Seems to be more timid at Home than on the road to me. I think Fran gave Jok A chance last night when we were needing some offense. I would like to know why we cant get White going more