Where Was Diante Vines???

MelroseHawkins

After the game it dawned on me, I don't recall him having any catches. Hell, I'm not sure he really had any targets, did he? Maybe one??

So, I was wondering if anybody else observed this or had any info or thoughts. Did he have this stud CB on him all game Saturday or what?

I noticed him out there, but didn't think he even got a target. Maybe he wasn't getting open or wasn't the first read often. They did take the air out of the ball after Cade was hobbling, probably even before that. He was pretty silent.

I noticed him out there, but didn't think he even got a target. Maybe he wasn't getting open or wasn't the first read often. They did take the air out of the ball after Cade was hobbling, probably even before that. He was pretty silent.
That's what I thought but then thought maybe I missed something or he wasn't in the game much. I just never heard his name on the broadcast.

Maybe ole' Kirk was just saving him for Iowa St. That ole' sly coach.

I think that is what was going on. You keep Vines under wraps to minimize tape on him and save his production for big games. Tennessee did that last year with Jalin Hyatt on some level. Guy had 5 TDs on 6 receptions against Alabama. I have Vines ranked much higher than Hyatt, so I think a similar performance in our big games against ISU, PSU and Wisconsin is going to be coming. If Vines ends those three games without a total of 9 or 10 TDs I will be surprised.

I think that is what was going on. You keep Vines under wraps to minimize tape on him and save his production for big games. Tennessee did that last year with Jalin Hyatt on some level. Guy had 5 TDs on 6 receptions against Alabama. I have Vines ranked much higher than Hyatt, so I think a similar performance in our big games against ISU, PSU and Wisconsin is going to be coming. If Vines ends those three games without a total of 9 or 10 TDs I will be surprised.

Imagine what Ken O'Keefe would do with him?

Imagine what Ken O'Keefe would do with him?

McNutt put up 28 TDs in 3 years under O'Keefe. In 2011, JVB tossed for over 3000 yards and 25 TDs against 7 picks. When O'Keefe skipped town due to the NFL begging him to move up, JVB, the same QB O'Keefe had to work with who damned near orchestrated Iowa's first win at the 'Shoe bince the '90's, was relegated to 2200 yards passing and 7 TDs against 8 picks.

I haven't seen a guy like Vines since Willie Guy. This kid will put up bigger numbers than McNutt, but only if the OC gets him the pill. Have faith in the gameplan, I know what they are doing. By the end of September after Vines puts up 300 and 5 TDs against PSU every team is going to have move some bodies out of the box and our offense will look totally different. Will it be as good as an O'Keefe offense? No, of course not. But it will be the best Brian Ferentz offense you've ever seen.

Same place lots of WRs that play for Iowa end up the last few yrs. Running wind sprints and blocking. He played a lot of snaps. I can't say I remember Cade ever targeting him really. That's just how it goes. It's not like Anderson and Ragaini got a ton of targets either what'd they both have 2 catches apiece? Our TEs had like 10 catches combined. Out of 19-23 completions the TEs and RBs are going to get damn near 15 of em most games. Unless we throw more volume wise we aren't going to see any drastic uptick in WRs production.

Hell we only had 17 completions in this game. I was overshooting how many they had. We typically won't have much more then 25 that will probably be the ceiling most games just depending on Cades completion %. We aren't going to throw 35-40 plus times unless we are losing by multiple scores early and throughout a game. Thankfully that doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
Iowa was trying to establish the run and protect Cade after the early lead. Problem with a lot of good offensive players is it's hard to get everyone the ball. Think Cade will go out of his way to spread the wealth as long as he is healthy and has the blocking. Routes seemed to take too long to develop during the game and Cade had to dump to his tight ends, It's a long season.

Iowa was trying to establish the run and protect Cade after the early lead. Problem with a lot of good offensive players is it's hard to get everyone the ball. Think Cade will go out of his way to spread the wealth as long as he is healthy and has the blocking. Routes seemed to take too long to develop during the game and Cade had to dump to his tight ends, It's a long season.

Agreed. We have seven high level impact players in the two deeps on offense, but there's only one ball. Guys will have to wait for their touches.

That's what I thought but then thought maybe I missed something or he wasn't in the game much. I just never heard his name on the broadcast.

I'm hoping this was the case with the offense in general. Hayden used to be very coy about strategy. Always, had that "Aw shucks, hope we have a chance," mentality. Also, KF might have been playing it very basic for McNamara's sake to limit the chance he get dinged up. Obviously, it didn't work out as such.

McNutt put up 28 TDs in 3 years under O'Keefe. In 2011, JVB tossed for over 3000 yards and 25 TDs against 7 picks. When O'Keefe skipped town due to the NFL begging him to move up, JVB, the same QB O'Keefe had to work with who damned near orchestrated Iowa's first win at the 'Shoe bince the '90's, was relegated to 2200 yards passing and 7 TDs against 8 picks.

I haven't seen a guy like Vines since Willie Guy. This kid will put up bigger numbers than McNutt, but only if the OC gets him the pill. Have faith in the gameplan, I know what they are doing. By the end of September after Vines puts up 300 and 5 TDs against PSU every team is going to have move some bodies out of the box and our offense will look totally different. Will it be as good as an O'Keefe offense? No, of course not. But it will be the best Brian Ferentz offense you've ever seen.
Willie Guy was great but you are off base if looking for an all-timer to compare to Vines. Not sure we've seen the explosiveness Vines has since Paul Chaney Jr., back when O'Keefe was dialing up his world class sprinter speed with those end arounds. It didn't matter if the defense saw it coming - can't tackle what you can't catch. In terms of total package, I'd say we haven't seen a young player like Vines since we stole Oliver Martin away from Harbaugh.

If I were Heacock I would do my best to try and take the tight ends away and dare McNamara and the receivers to beat me.

Well now you guys have got me excited. This guy could be the next Kenan Davis or dare I say, the next Derrick Willies? Just waiting for all that potential to be unlocked.

After the game it dawned on me, I don't recall him having any catches. Hell, I'm not sure he really had any targets, did he? Maybe one??

So, I was wondering if anybody else observed this or had any info or thoughts. Did he have this stud CB on him all game Saturday or what?
He had a couple monster blocks in the first half.

Willie Guy was great but you are off base if looking for an all-timer to compare to Vines. Not sure we've seen the explosiveness Vines has since Paul Chaney Jr., back when O'Keefe was dialing up his world class sprinter speed with those end arounds. It didn't matter if the defense saw it coming - can't tackle what you can't catch. In terms of total package, I'd say we haven't seen a young player like Vines since we stole Oliver Martin away from Harbaugh.
Gawd your good! That's good Jerry, that's gold!

Latest posts