Where to go downtown IC, night before game

TheRickHawk

My family and I are going to be in town all weekend, and we've never gone downtown, to check out places a hawk fan should visit. Give me some ideas, where we should go, to experience some historical Hawkeye lore.
We plan on going to the Airliner to eat friday night. Anything I should look for in that establishment? What should we order, besides the pizza? Any insight from fellow fans, would be helpful. Thanks!!

haha, don't scare the man! But, I agree, downtown is no place for a family with kids after 8pm. Downtown has some nice restaurants but its mostly college bars, and they provide little Hawkeye "lore" unless you had some experience as an undergrad and want to take a trip down memory (or unmemorable) lane.

If you are looking for a little slice of Iowa City good for the family I would highly recommend Pagliai's Pizza at 302 E Bloomington. It's only a few blocks from the Ped Mall and is much more of a "Family Joint" than the Airliner will be on a home game Friday night. The best time to check out the liner would be on Sunday for lunch when they have buck fifty slices and have gotten a chance to clean up the vomit from the night before.

I have two "kids", one 14 and one 23. So not little kids, but can understand how that might not be the best place on a friday night. Now I'm a little dissapointed. Was hoping to see a place I've heard so much about.

I have two "kids", one 14 and one 23. So not little kids, but can understand how that might not be the best place on a friday night. Now I'm a little dissapointed. Was hoping to see a place I've heard so much about.

Ohh then you will be fine at the Liner or down town. I was thinking younger kids. DT IC is tamer than most high school hallways anymore. Go to the liner and have fun!

You should be fine at the Liner with the age of your kids.

Agree, I assumed your kids were much younger than 14 and 23. You'll be good to go, the Airliner has great pizza. Get the Airliner crust, not the Chicago style. Yes, it's also a bar (everywhere is "also" a bar), so it will get more crowded as more people come in to drink, not eat. DT will get busier/crazier the later you are out...which might be fun to see.

Last edited:
Rick....The Airliner is cool but for really excellent "za", Pagliai's is the place I visit without fail. Really good food and nice people. You will be impressed.

Pagliais Home Page

Mmmmmmmmmmmm......Pizzzzzzzzzza! :cool:

Like many said...dont stick around too long, but dont be afraid to take your fam down there.

I would hit Airliner (american), Saloon (SW mex), or Paglias(pizza joint) if I was taking a family down.

I am sure you will encounter some FAC drunks though on a football friday.

Hamburg Inn

I was always partial to grabbing breakfast here first thing in the morning - either before the game on Saturday or Sunday. They get really crowded though so plan accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with taking a family downtown after 8. There are alot of people and plenty of drunks but its not dangerous or anything. Airliner has great pizza. Have a bite and walk aroud the ped mall, get some cart food and feel the hawkeye love.

The only thing harmful to the kids will be explaining why so many women are wearing miniskirts and tank tops in 20 degree weather. But, for some cheap fun look out the window of the airliner and see how many you count making a mad dash from the dorms to get into the union.

Latest posts