Where KF decisions will really hurt this team

deanvogs

I hope I am wrong, but I really think that this stretch run is going to be really hurt by KF decision to stick with JR as the QB of this team. If KF would have made the switch to CJ after the Purdue game, he would have played in 5 1/2 games in a row (1/2 Pitt game, Purdue, Indy, Maryland, jNW, and Minny). I think that is about the time where his top end talent would start outproducing JR's game experience advantage. Nothing can replace actual game time, and even if we laid an egg at Maryland and got blown out at Minny with CJ at the helm, he would still have that game experience, and his arm might well have made the difference in the Maryland game. Lets just say we still lose both of those, and still beat Indy and jNW. We still have the same record, but now we have a weapon at QB who can be a game changer these last 3 games.

As I said I hope I'm wrong, but listening to the Miller and Deace podcast I think about how good OSU is now with JT at the QB spot, and the same with Cook at MSU for that matter. Both players were put in by the coach, as they had more top end talent than the other guy, and once they both had about 5 games of experience (or even less in JT's case) they really hit their strides.

I guess we will see if it is an opportunity lost in about 2 1/2 weeks.

I think in the first half of the Purdue game CJB played maybe even worse than Jake would have played. It's hard to say because there were a lot of drops. But in the second half, you could see him growing up. He already has done things this season, even in mop up duty, that Jake simply cannot do. Anybody who knows anything about football can tell you that. My point is, I think it would take less than 5 games for CJB to be significantly better than Jake. Maybe just a couple of games plus first team reps in practice. But one thing we haven't accounted for is that quarterbacks tend to regress in the GD system.

Writing these posts are cathartic, I know, I've written them. But it only lasts a little while, because deep down, you and I know, nothing will change.

I honestly don't think it would have mattered in any game Iowa has played. The combination of poor o-line play and poor defensive play is the primary cause of Iowa's inconsistency.

I think CJ should have went in to the game earlier against Minnesota but he could have started the game and it wasn't going to make a bit of difference.

I don't see KF changing qb's this year or next. At best CJB sees the field as a senior if he is still here. Unfortunately KF is as stubborn in changing the qb as much as anything in his profile.

I honestly don't think it would have mattered in any game Iowa has played. The combination of poor o-line play and poor defensive play is the primary cause of Iowa's inconsistency.

I think CJ should have went in to the game earlier against Minnesota but he could have started the game and it wasn't going to make a bit of difference.

I agree totally with this. I still think we beat Indy, jNW and lose to Maryland and Minny with CJ at the helm. The point I was trying to make is that CJ would now had 5 1/2 games experience. He would be much more of a weapon for Iowa at the QB position going into these last 3 games than JR can ever be, no matter how many games he plays.

If we were talking about CJ starting from day 1, I truly believe it would have made a difference. Our offense was so bad against Iowa State, and we didn't complete a pass to a wide receiver until the 4th quarter against Maryland. But Minnesota, they just owned us. Took our manhood. It was embarrassing. A QB could not have saved us there.

I think the bigger point is the opportunity lost, and how other programs simply don't make these mistakes that KF does. Dantonio didn't make that mistake and keep Cook on the bench. Meyer didn't make the mistake of playing Cardinal over JT even though he had been in the program longer, and was "ahead" of him.

I think Dean made some valid points when he started this thread; as a poster, he is typically reasonable and candid. I do not know if switching QB's earlier in the year would have helped. Why? Because I think we have two very average QB's each of whom has some significant weaknesses. Now, these are two very fine young men who have been team players, hard workers, good students, so I am NOT bashing them. If you look at the other QB's in the league, or even in the West Division, I just don't think we measure up.

If we were talking about CJ starting from day 1, I truly believe it would have made a difference. Our offense was so bad against Iowa State, and we didn't complete a pass to a wide receiver until the 4th quarter against Maryland. But Minnesota, they just owned us. Took our manhood. It was embarrassing. A QB could not have saved us there.

This is a very good assessment. I think we are 8-1 with CJ in, winning bigger against Ball st, beating ISU handily, and beating maryland because I dont think we have the 9 or 10 3 and outs at Maryland.

I think the Minny game is closer.

Agree, the Oline could be better, but that unit gets absolutely no help from the RBs in the running game. The Oline has to absolutely maul a front 7 for the RB to go anywhere, thats a pretty tough way to live.

I think the bigger point is the opportunity lost, and how other programs simply don't make these mistakes that KF does. Dantonio didn't make that mistake and keep Cook on the bench. Meyer didn't make the mistake of playing Cardinal over JT even though he had been in the program longer, and was "ahead" of him.

Dantonio is a perfect example even though I hate the guy. Andrew Maxwell was supposed to be the stud who was going to instantly replace Kirk Cousins. When he didn't perform up to expectations Cook was brought in and he didn't look back. That's paying dividends right now. Ferentz would probably still be starting Maxwell.

I think Dean made some valid points when he started this thread; as a poster, he is typically reasonable and candid. I do not know if switching QB's earlier in the year would have helped. Why? Because I think we have two very average QB's each of whom has some significant weaknesses. Now, these are two very fine young men who have been team players, hard workers, good students, so I am NOT bashing them. If you look at the other QB's in the league, or even in the West Division, I just don't think we measure up.

There is no way to know if we would have won more games, and to be honest, I don't care about that at this point. We still can win the West with 3 wins to finish the season. I just think CJ with 5 1/2 games experience would give us a better punchers chance in those games. Heck I hope to Gawd that I'm wrong, and JR can do that for Iowa, like he did last year winning the final 3 games and saving the season.

The fact we haven't had an QB take a meaningful snap in an NFL game for decades says all we need to know about our Staff's ability to recognized and develop top tier QB Talent.

Dantonio is a perfect example even though I hate the guy. Andrew Maxwell was supposed to be the stud who was going to instantly replace Kirk Cousins. When he didn't perform up to expectations Cook was brought in and he didn't look back. That's paying dividends right now. Ferentz would probably still be starting Maxwell.

Same could be said with Meyer and JT over Cardinal Jones. I just don't see why you wouldn't play the QB with the better top end talent. The only way I can see you don't is if they just aren't putting in the work in the weight room, film room, or practice field. Yet that can't be the case with CJ, or he never, ever would have even gotten into games like they did if he wasn't doing all the right things in the weight room, film room, and practice field. Now way, no how KF reward CJ and gets him into games if he was slacking in those departments.

It's simply because Kirk is stubborn and loyal to a fault. He loves Jake. He loves his attitude, his personality, and his work ethic. He doesn't want to give up on the kid. His loyalty to him clearly inhibits his ability to see things clearly, and it's becoming painful to watch. Jake played downright awful in the Minnesota game. I was ****** that CJ didn't get in earlier. There was absolutely no reason not to give CJ a chance earlier on in that game. It was clear that Jake was struggling.

I hope I am wrong, but I really think that this stretch run is going to be really hurt by KF decision to stick with JR as the QB of this team. If KF would have made the switch to CJ after the Purdue game, he would have played in 5 1/2 games in a row (1/2 Pitt game, Purdue, Indy, Maryland, jNW, and Minny). I think that is about the time where his top end talent would start outproducing JR's game experience advantage. Nothing can replace actual game time, and even if we laid an egg at Maryland and got blown out at Minny with CJ at the helm, he would still have that game experience, and his arm might well have made the difference in the Maryland game. Lets just say we still lose both of those, and still beat Indy and jNW. We still have the same record, but now we have a weapon at QB who can be a game changer these last 3 games.

As I said I hope I'm wrong, but listening to the Miller and Deace podcast I think about how good OSU is now with JT at the QB spot, and the same with Cook at MSU for that matter. Both players were put in by the coach, as they had more top end talent than the other guy, and once they both had about 5 games of experience (or even less in JT's case) they really hit their strides.

I guess we will see if it is an opportunity lost in about 2 1/2 weeks.
I hope your wrong but I think you are pretty much right on. I do think its little late to change now. Not really even fair to CJ

Latest posts