Where Hawkeyes Head After Missing Out on D.J. Carton

stocks-market.gif

This is bad for Fran, he put all his eggs in this basket. Long term contract or not I not sitting through another 4 Big win season. I love seeing a team develop and grow, get better through experience and mistakes, but when a team seems to be stuck or regressing I don't have the patience. Any competent coach should get a team like Iowa into the ncaa tourney 50% of the time. It appears that Fran's ambitions are greater than his ability.

We still need to chase the 4 and 5 star players. If we do not, we will still attack Fran for not shooting high enough. Yeah. The competition is extremely high and the candidate can only select one school. When he selects from his top three, the coaches of the other two will be criticized by their fan bases. As Kurt Vonnegut would say "so it goes."

You have to get the ones in your back yard. Losing recruiting battles for the best kids in the state every year is what got Mr. Davis ran out. It will be Fran's undoing as well unless he lands Foster and compensates with other top 50 recruits.

I haven’t read most of these posts about Carton in the various threads, so I apologize up front, but how much of a factor is it to a kid evaluating coming to Iowa to play point guard that you have the coach’s son playing that position for the next 4 years. Not saying Connor can’t be a good PG, we will find out this winter, but it has to be something a prospect looks at, right?

I doubt Iowa will recruit a point guard on the 19 class. The guy is just a hot dog, and I can't really blame him for doing what he thinks is best for him. The guy is a pretty good player, but I doubt he will ever be in the NBA.

Once the big boys came sniffing around I knew we didn't have a chance. The kid is right for choosing a top notch program not one that won four conference games. Last year’s performance and this recruiting loss says all you need to say about Fran and his program. It’s almost going to take a miracle for Fran to get over the hump and show he can land the big Fish point guard. We are so screwed unless his sons can live up to the hype.

How bad is it really when the fans even on forums just shrug their shoulders and say “meh”. This is exactly what Deace was talking about on his podcast and also few of us on here have been pointing out and have been getting razzed from Fran’s fan club.

It’s no secret that Fran put everything he could into recruiting this kid. Better make hay this upcoming season or it’s all over for Fran and likely Gary Barta......................................... . Can’t even imagine the powers that be tolerating another season like last year and keeping Fran into 2020. What has happened to Iowa athletics???? What an apathetic bunch of sports fans.

He’s not that good anyways. The Iowa men’s basketball program has a number of options that are as good or better for this team.

I am not ready to write off Conner Mc. I know it was a really limited view, but I saw some leadership capability on the floor that was pretty impressive. Good passer. Understands floor balance. Is he quick enough to guard big time point guards? Don't know, but won't decide until I see evidence one way or the other. Shooting? Again, that is a bit of a mystery, but the perfect point guard is a rare event. Some very good ones have not necessarily been big time scorers. And JaBo, who can really score points, has his own weaknesses, which have been pointed out on this site on numerous occasions. BTW, any of you who really think that Conner is a stopper for commitment from other quality point guards, then tell everyone that he is not going to be very good, should consider your logic. OK. I guess you can fall back on Fran playing his son ahead of a more talented point guard. Really? Really?
Not sure what exactly you’re trying to say here but, yeah, I’d like to see Fran find and play a more talented PG ahead of his son. Really. Really.

Fran’s failure to recruit a point guard smacks of:
1) Nepotism
2) Shades of Li’l Lick 2.0

Mark me down as not impressed with DJ. I hope he does well wherever he goes but looks undersized and not crazy athletic. Bad combo. I think he will be serviceable but not all world. Kinda like Trey Young looks in summer league. I’m sure he will be solid but this isn’t a huge loss. I think Mac and JBo will be fine manning the point. I think Connor is sneaky athletic and will hold his own.

Once the big boys came sniffing around I knew we didn't have a chance. The kid is right for choosing a top notch program not one that won four conference games. Last year’s performance and this recruiting loss says all you need to say about Fran and his program. It’s almost going to take a miracle for Fran to get over the hump and show he can land the big Fish point guard. We are so screwed unless his sons can live up to the hype.

How bad is it really when the fans even on forums just shrug their shoulders and say “meh”. This is exactly what Deace was talking about on his podcast and also few of us on here have been pointing out and have been getting razzed from Fran’s fan club.

It’s no secret that Fran put everything he could into recruiting this kid. Better make hay this upcoming season or it’s all over for Fran and likely Gary Barta......................................... . Can’t even imagine the powers that be tolerating another season like last year and keeping Fran into 2020. What has happened to Iowa athletics???? What an apathetic bunch of sports fans.
I mentioned this in another thread. Whatever recruiting momentum Fran was building after reaching the NCAA'S in 2014, '15, and '16 is now gone. He has lost all but one from his 2015 class that came in on the heels of an NCAA bid, the point in his tenure where he had to really cash in. His chance to keep us solidly in the top tier of the conference may have slipped away. Now the Nebraska's and Penn States of the world are passing us by. Because they, say it now everyone, recruited better athletes and better defenders! And kept their coaches on shorter contract leashes.

We will have an experienced team the next two years that has been around the league a couple times. That alone should improve our 4-14. NCAA'S? The jury is still out. And how badly will will we be exposed once we get there? Most teams sort of treat March a little more seriously than a December or January match up.

He’s not that good anyways. The Iowa men’s basketball program has a number of options that are as good or better for this team.

Is this sarcasm? We are talking about losing out on one of the top PG recruits in the 2019 class. Maybe 5 or 10 PG recruits better than him in the class at best.

I don't understand a lot the people that just say oh well, the guy we do get will be the "better" or "right" fit. People can defend Frans recruiting misses all they want but if we see another repeat performance of last year's Iowa team Fran should be gone. I hope things get turned around but I'm not holding my breath.

Big miss - first big time recruit from the state that Fran wanted that he's missed on. It's not a good sign. It doesn't mean all is lost, but it certainly is gonna suck hard seeing that kid play against Iowa for 4 years. There's no real way to spin this other then a huge loss for Iowa. Hawks need to dance this season or Iowa needs a new a coach.

Big miss - first big time recruit from the state that Fran wanted that he's missed on. It's not a good sign. It doesn't mean all is lost, but it certainly is gonna suck hard seeing that kid play against Iowa for 4 years. There's no real way to spin this other then a huge loss for Iowa. Hawks need to dance this season or Iowa needs a new a coach.

Not a huge loss as it never was a fit. For most coaches it would be. Conner is the pt guard of the future, good or bad.

Not a huge loss as it never was a fit. For most coaches it would be. Conner is the pt guard of the future, good or bad.

How would DJ not have been a good fit? Not saying you're wrong, just curious how he wouldn't have fit in at Iowa.

How would DJ not have been a good fit? Not saying you're wrong, just curious how he wouldn't have fit in at Iowa.

FM has never utilized a good solid traditional pt guard. He had several decent one's who had good parts of their game, but never a point guard with a broad arsenal. He doesn't really want one. He would have taken DJ no doubt, but FM would have to change who he is.

It's like KF with a dual threat QB.

FM has never utilized a good solid traditional pt guard. He had several decent one's who had good parts of their game, but never a point guard with a broad arsenal. He doesn't really want one. He would have taken DJ no doubt, but FM would have to change who he is.

It's like KF with a dual threat QB.

hmm... interesting take. Personally I don't see it that way. I think he just hasn't landed one phenom yet at Iowa. Maybe he never will and that will always be the case to drive that scenario. I think he works with and develops the pieces he has and tries to play to those strengths. I would say it's much like KF and WR's maybe? I dunno - interesting take that I don't think you're wrong on. But I personally think Mike G and Jordan B have been back to back serviceable PG's. I think if DJ came to Iowa, Fran could make him great and erase that narrative. Guess we'll never know.

He wouldn’t have been a good fit because we are a fourth place team at best and he could have made us a top two team during his time at Iowa. This could have led to serious problems for Fran as fans would have gotten a taste of what a real basketball program is suppose to be like and then come to expect it more often. So with D.J. out of the picture we won’t ever have to worry about this type of stress in hawkeyeland. :D

hmm... interesting take. Personally I don't see it that way. I think he just hasn't landed one phenom yet at Iowa. Maybe he never will and that will always be the case to drive that scenario. I think he works with and develops the pieces he has and tries to play to those strengths. I would say it's much like KF and WR's maybe? I dunno - interesting take that I don't think you're wrong on. But I personally think Mike G and Jordan B have been back to back serviceable PG's. I think if DJ came to Iowa, Fran could make him great and erase that narrative. Guess we'll never know.

Agree about Mike and Jordan. Like them both. Neither are outstanding pt guards, but had strengths.

I do believe Fran has what he wants. Live or die, it's what he wants.

On a bit dif note, I did get to see Iowa recruiting up close. It struck me that the recruitment focused on weaknesses of what needed improved rather than being excited about what the player would bring to the table. There seemed be a disconnect emotionally. Maybe it was just one player they weren't that interested in. But then again, they were coming and talking. I would see other Big coaches at the same game and the style was notably different to the point of seeming indifferent. Maybe a bit insecure. Bruce Weber had the same sort of feel, but with more warmth. Painter, Motta, IU coaches...much more warmth...glad to see you type of stuff. Those guys seemed to want people to know they were there. Iowa and Weber...no, they tried to blend. Different styles. DJ would seem to want more attention and hype to me that Iowa would give based on my limited observations.

Latest posts