Where has this Team been all year?

deanvogs

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...rly-offense-moss-rewards-coachs-fa/312294002/

Great article by Mark Emmert, and sums up much of what I was thinking as well. This is the team I fully expected to watch this year. A team that had some limitation, but also had a lot it could do as well. Maybe I was too optimistic on this team, but I still feel there was no reason why this team shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament conversation (much like at the end of last year).

I really think that Fran's limitations as a coach is hold this team back this year. His insistence in playing Ellingson, Kriener, Uhl, and Wagner in the 1st half of every game is mind boggling. They simply aren't B1G caliber players. Like clockwork we scrape back tie up MSU in the 1st half, only to have Fran put in those guys who them immediately fall 7-10 points behind. Then we get the top 8 players get back in and erase that deficit and then take a 4-8 point lead late in the 1st and beginning of the 2nd half.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...rly-offense-moss-rewards-coachs-fa/312294002/

Great article by Mark Emmert, and sums up much of what I was thinking as well. This is the team I fully expected to watch this year. A team that had some limitation, but also had a lot it could do as well. Maybe I was too optimistic on this team, but I still feel there was no reason why this team shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament conversation (much like at the end of last year).

I really think that Fran's limitations as a coach is hold this team back this year. His insistence in playing Ellingson, Kriener, Uhl, and Wagner in the 1st half of every game is mind boggling. They simply aren't B1G caliber players. Like clockwork we scrape back tie up MSU in the 1st half, only to have Fran put in those guys who them immediately fall 7-10 points behind. Then we get the top 8 players get back in and erase that deficit and then take a 4-8 point lead late in the 1st and beginning of the 2nd half.

Absolutely can't argue. People have been on the talent on this team and on Fran for recruiting all season long. I like the players, the core over all. I think they will be a better team next year with maturity - but I feel like with better coaching they could be that already. I take way more issue with Fran's rotation, his lack of coaching defense and pushing the right buttons when needed. Now, he could use another 1 or 2 and that's on him for recruiting, but he did have 1 walk out before the season started and his back up option broke down physically. Also - his SR and JR classes were whiffs - no upper class leaders - no alpha players to take control. Ultimately, that's all him... but I don't think that players like Jordan, Cook, Pemsl, Moss, Garza, Nunge aren't good enough caliber players, I am disappointed they aren't further along in their development after last season.

Absolutely can't argue. People have been on the talent on this team and on Fran for recruiting all season long. I like the players, the core over all. I think they will be a better team next year with maturity - but I feel like with better coaching they could be that already. I take way more issue with Fran's rotation, his lack of coaching defense and pushing the right buttons when needed. Now, he could use another 1 or 2 and that's on him for recruiting, but he did have 1 walk out before the season started and his back up option broke down physically. Also - his SR and JR classes were whiffs - no upper class leaders - no alpha players to take control. Ultimately, that's all him... but I don't think that players like Jordan, Cook, Pemsl, Moss, Garza, Nunge aren't good enough caliber players, I am disappointed they aren't further along in their development after last season.
I agree also. I watch this team and often see there is something there, but get so frustrated with the lack of defense and the bad line-ups. Also, at the end of games, we need that one guy who can create something. Maybe if we ran an offense to get a shot at the end of games instead of having the smallish point guard dribble for until time is almost up and then having to through up a prayer might be something to try. Fran has done this with MG and now JB. I get it if you have a guy like Trae Young or something, but that's just not the strength of this team. You have to work with what you've got.

I agree also. I watch this team and often see there is something there, but get so frustrated with the lack of defense and the bad line-ups. Also, at the end of games, we need that one guy who can create something. Maybe if we ran an offense to get a shot at the end of games instead of having the smallish point guard dribble for until time is almost up and then having to through up a prayer might be something to try. Fran has done this with MG and now JB. I get it if you have a guy like Trae Young or something, but that's just not the strength of this team. You have to work with what you've got.

Great point. I want Jordan to take shots at the end of the game, and we would be better off with him passing the ball off with 10 seconds left, running off of 2 screens, getting a pass back and taking a shot. He would get a much better look this way than trying to create on his own, which he struggles to do.

Reactions: DJL
That is the first time they consistently worked their offense to get the shots they wanted. Normally they start quick shooting and mix in turnovers and before they know it, against good teams, they are 15 down. Last night...they showed patience...worked the ball around...and got the shots they wanted.

The thing I don't understand is that Izzo still works the officials and is successful on the road in getting the close calls. Iowa got in the bonus early in the second half because you could tell that Izzo told his team to step up the physical play and finally the officials started calling it. There were so many pushes and shoves in the first half that didn't get a whistle. I thought the game was called differently the first half than the second...minus the last five minutes of the game where the officials swallowed the whistle.

I think Iowa should play every team that is playing their 5th game in 12 days.

People it was one game. Before getting too worked up, lets see how the remaining games go.

People it was one game. Before getting too worked up, lets see how the remaining games go.

5 games in 12 days is hardly some insurmountable factor. It’s very common. That’s a weak ass excuse even for a Fran hater.

5 games in 12 days is hardly some insurmountable factor. It’s very common. That’s a weak ass excuse even for a Fran hater.

No ones worked up either - it was a loss. Iowa played well tho, which they haven't consistently done all year. No one is claiming any corners have been turned. I don't think that will be said at all this season unless they can manage to string together multiple wins in a row or do some damage in the B1G tourney

It's a hard game to balance. We're all looking for positives. I don't like Fran, that much is clear. 5 in 12 is quite a bit. Iowa laid more points on them than anyone. Likewise that was the most MSU scored away from home and the most in the Big. Iowa played 4 in 11. Being at home helps.

Show me success over the next 5 and winning 2 and it will certainly be looking better. A win against an also ran in the Big would be indicative of life.

Until then, an anomaly.without hopium put on it.

Last night was the first game all year that Iowa pounded the ball inside for the entire 40 minutes. I thought that was going to be how we played this entire year. Cook is an absolute horse down there and Garza and Pemsl are also legitimate low post threats. Not many teams in the country can withstand the foul trouble that it can cause like MSU did last night. Unfortunately, we have not been able to do that much this year because are guards and wings haven’t been good at feeding the post, and our bigs haven’t done a great job of maintaining their positioning either. That led to a ton of turnovers early. Those are both things that can be coached.

Defense has been an absolute nightmare, in part because of Fran. Some of his decisions are quite mind boggling. He raved before the year about having 6’11 Garza and 6’11 Nunge for rim protection. Then he decided to play Nunge primarily at the 3 where’s he is guarding guys on the perimeter nowhere near the basket.

This game, in the context of the season, was pretty refreshing. However, in the context of where our program should be at this stage of the FM Era, not to mention in the context of Hawkeye basketball history in general, it is still an "L" that included....

1. Giving up 93 points to a gassed team
2. Continuing to play marginal, at best, role players and constantly getting drilled during that time
3. Fran puckering up in the last 2 minutes for the 974th time and making a team that thrives on early offense take the air out of the ball
4, Shooting over 50% from the field, 50% from 3, under 8 turns, and even on the glass....and still lost. Had we not played out of our mind on offense, we would have gotten run out of our building.

Until Fran understands that there are multiple parts to a basketball game, not just offense, this is going to be the result.

You realize guys need rest from time-to-time, don't you? I don't recall seeing Ellingson too much at all. Kriener or Uhl at all. Wagner in for a bit and I think did a decent job spelling another player.

Is Kriener even active anymore. Did they make him inactive maybe for transfer reasons?

Just a reputable defense and this season is so different. They have enough offense, so I'm not worried about that. People can complain about talent all they want. It is there. They have enough talent to compete. It lies on the coaching and coaching of defense at this point.

It's not recruiting
It's not talent

It now comes down to coaching and the heart of the players.

You realize guys need rest from time-to-time, don't you? I don't recall seeing Ellingson too much at all. Kriener or Uhl at all. Wagner in for a bit and I think did a decent job spelling another player.

Is Kriener even active anymore. Did they make him inactive maybe for transfer reasons?

Starters need to be spelled, yes, but it doesn't have to be at the same damn time. Stagger the subs rather than doing hockey line changes.

Great point. I want Jordan to take shots at the end of the game, and we would be better off with him passing the ball off with 10 seconds left, running off of 2 screens, getting a pass back and taking a shot. He would get a much better look this way than trying to create on his own, which he struggles to do.

.......because no team would ever put their best defender on that guy. It just doesn't work that easy all the time. Dailey was having a good night, Perhaps you use JoBo (because prob has the best defender on him) as a decoy and try to run a setup to Dailey, who is a taller option as well.

You can't just say "I wan't JoBo to run off two screens at the end of everything and shoot the ball". It just doesn't work like that.

That is the first time they consistently worked their offense to get the shots they wanted. Normally they start quick shooting and mix in turnovers and before they know it, against good teams, they are 15 down. Last night...they showed patience...worked the ball around...and got the shots they wanted.

The thing I don't understand is that Izzo still works the officials and is successful on the road in getting the close calls. Iowa got in the bonus early in the second half because you could tell that Izzo told his team to step up the physical play and finally the officials started calling it. There were so many pushes and shoves in the first half that didn't get a whistle. I thought the game was called differently the first half than the second...minus the last five minutes of the game where the officials swallowed the whistle.

I actually thought Iowa played pretty physical with them, at least, more than in previous years. I was surprised. They need to do that against that team. Hard fouls with no easy shots inside and just physical.

I wish Iowa could have exploited going to the line more in the 2nd half. 15 min left in the half and in the bonus.

Starters need to be spelled, yes, but it doesn't have to be at the same damn time. Stagger the subs rather than doing hockey line changes.

I agree with this yes. I personally don't like more than two subs at a time, unless a special circumstance. Sensible subbing can be done without weakening a team too much. Some of the subbing tries to line up wiht the TV time-outs to get a lot of rest with few game minutes off the clock. Maybe that plays into it.

Just a reputable defense and this season is so different. They have enough offense, so I'm not worried about that. People can complain about talent all they want. It is there. They have enough talent to compete. It lies on the coaching and coaching of defense at this point.

It's not recruiting
It's not talent

It now comes down to coaching and the heart of the players.
Iowa has plenty of offensive talent, however that doesn’t mean they have defensive talent. Our top 3 players (Cook, Bo, Garza) are all bad defensive players right now. Garza and Bo both have serious limitations on that end of the floor. Cook is between the ears.

I also see another huge issue. Cook, Garza, and Pemsl are our three top Bigs. Defensively they are all best suited to guard opponent 5 men (and even below average at that). The problem being that they are taking the majority of the minutes at the 4 spot where they don’t really stand a chance. Then you got Nunge, playing out of position at the 3.

Some of these defensive struggles are undoubtedly coaching, but some can also be contributed to not having talented defensive players. The lack of foot-speed has been noted several times and is glaring.

I don't think the "5th game in 12 days" argument holds water. Iowa (and most teams in the NCAA) has played 5 games in 13 days multiple times. Does the extra day of rest mean so much to a bunch of kids under 22? At 22 I (and many of us on HN) could play basketball for hours every day.

Latest posts