Where does Lowery rate in the B1G all time?

I think it's a generational learning experience. BJ said, in an after game interview, that he learned that patience from Micah while answering a question about his second pick 6. And Micah was behind Prater, who was behind Spievey and so on. Kinda like the "begats" in the bible.

Lowery is the quickest, if not the fastest, Hawkeye on the team today IMO. His technique of keeping his hands inside, when up close and personal, is exemplary as was pointed out by some ex NFL official after the Michigan game two years ago. It did bite him during the ISU game last week when he couldn't arm tackle the guy he was defending but overall his athleticism allows him to make plays.

He is rapidly becoming a "shutdown" corner and the Hawks are better for it.

1. Spievey was better, IMO.
2. Moving Hyde to safety was a move to get the best four guys on the field. Which only tells me that the coaches thought Lowery was better than Miller. Which was and is correct.
3. Hyde wasn't that good at safety, which, IMO, was a bigger reason for his move back to CB than anything else.

Spievey was a good corner but he was very flat footed in his back pedal. He is a down hill player which makes him better suited as a safety in the nfl. Hyde is a combo DB that is how Green Bay wants to use him. Pure cb ability goes to lowery guy plays man and zone very well reacts well and is the most fluid in the back pedal and hip swivel. The guy is legit. Lowery could thrive as a slot cb or outside cb in the nfl. Hyde is a safety or slot cb at best in the nfl. Spievey couldn't play slot cb he is a safety all the way as he gets too flat footed and loses his man too much.

Most definitely. It's gonna be like the old days where teams just don't throw it to his side of the field, which is gonna make the whole secondary look better. Let's hope that pass rush keeps up, too.

Just like Larry Station, Bob Sanders and Amari Spievey. They created fear in the hearts of the opponents. Amari left for the NFL because he was bored. Nobody would throw the ball in his area. Tyler Sash was very close to that good.

Here is Amari Spievey putting the hurt on a Badger....

RackMultipart.11011.0_crop_340x234.jpg

Spievey was a good corner but he was very flat footed in his back pedal. He is a down hill player which makes him better suited as a safety in the nfl. Hyde is a combo DB that is how Green Bay wants to use him. Pure cb ability goes to lowery guy plays man and zone very well reacts well and is the most fluid in the back pedal and hip swivel. The guy is legit. Lowery could thrive as a slot cb or outside cb in the nfl. Hyde is a safety or slot cb at best in the nfl. Spievey couldn't play slot cb he is a safety all the way as he gets too flat footed and loses his man too much.

In the NFL, sure. But Spievey is really the only corner Ferentz has had who could literally shut down his half of the field every week. Lowery might get to that point by season's end, but he's not there yet. Yes, he's made some great plays so far this year; that also means teams are still throwing at him, something very few quarterbacks dared to do against Spievey after about the midway point of 2008.

In the NFL, sure. But Spievey is really the only corner Ferentz has had who could literally shut down his half of the field every week. Lowery might get to that point by season's end, but he's not there yet. Yes, he's made some great plays so far this year; that also means teams are still throwing at him, something very few quarterbacks dared to do against Spievey after about the midway point of 2008.

I think Lowery will be there or very close to it. I think he will continue to develop each and every game. His timing on that interception against Iowa State was perfect, picture perfect.......

They threw spievey's way more than people remember. Actually they got a lot of big plays his way. Teams just picked their spots. They threw deep on him because of his flat footed play. You don't throw in front of a guy that plays like him. Lowery shuts it all down. Plus remember spread offenses are becoming more and more predominant. You have to throw to both sides in those offenses and spievey would have struggled more against more spread offenses. Spievey is the 2nd best cb in the kf era. I was a huge spievey fan and watched him in juco live. I would love to say he is the best cb but he isn't. Lowery is just more fluid and has more ability on the deep and intermediate passes and is becoming a ball hawk. He also is more physical with receivers and has much better feet. The place spievey has him is hitting/tackling. Sounds like a safety is what spievey is.

How many Iowa d-backs have given up a 1st play bomb for a TD? Amari may have been top 5, but #1 on the list is Plez Atkins. Dude was a shut down master. Too bad he was stuck on a bad squad.

They threw spievey's way more than people remember. Actually they got a lot of big plays his way. Teams just picked their spots. They threw deep on him because of his flat footed play. You don't throw in front of a guy that plays like him. Lowery shuts it all down. Plus remember spread offenses are becoming more and more predominant. You have to throw to both sides in those offenses and spievey would have struggled more against more spread offenses. Spievey is the 2nd best cb in the kf era. I was a huge spievey fan and watched him in juco live. I would love to say he is the best cb but he isn't. Lowery is just more fluid and has more ability on the deep and intermediate passes and is becoming a ball hawk. He also is more physical with receivers and has much better feet. The place spievey has him is hitting/tackling. Sounds like a safety is what spievey is.

This is not how I recall it. I remember Amari as a lockdown corner. Until this week I had never heard Lowry described as one.

This is not how I recall it. I remember Amari as a lockdown corner. Until this week I had never heard Lowry described as one.

Amari *was* a lockdown corner - at the college level. Foval is offering a great example of the significant leap the NFL represents.

I'd probably say third all time behind only the Woodsons:

1) Charles Woodson
2) Rod Woodson
3) Lowery

I didn't read any of the posts after this one, so maybe it's been mentioned...but if you're going to troll your own fanbase, at least mention that he's better than Tim Dwight instead of just inferring it with a Top 3 placement...it gets the pot stirred faster.

Edit: I was thinking punt returners...so I'm not sure what that says about me...or the troll attempt for that matter...I just know that I feel shame...

How many Iowa d-backs have given up a 1st play bomb for a TD? Amari may have been top 5, but #1 on the list is Plez Atkins. Dude was a shut down master. Too bad he was stuck on a bad squad.

First play? What difference does that make? Pretty much every Iowa corner has been burned for a big TD at some point; hell, Lowery's been burned twice this season. I don't see how giving it up (one time) on the first play from scrimmage is worse than giving it up at the end of the game when you know the offense has to throw.

I didn't read any of the posts after this one, so maybe it's been mentioned...but if you're going to troll your own fanbase, at least mention that he's better than Tim Dwight instead of just inferring it with a Top 3 placement...it gets the pot stirred faster.

Edit: I was thinking punt returners...so I'm not sure what that says about me...or the troll attempt for that matter...I just know that I feel shame...

No, I was talking about cornerbacks. I'm talking about the electric guys who you want to cover the guys like Braylon Edwards, Ted Ginn, David Boston, Anthony Carter, Charles Rogers, etc. Guys who have that sixth sense for the ball and can kill a drive or pose a threat to score if you dare to challenge them.

If this were a return list, I would have included a lot of other guys ahead of Martin-Manley, who aside from two plays yesterday, has shown pretty much nothing.

First play? What difference does that make? Pretty much every Iowa corner has been burned for a big TD at some point; hell, Lowery's been burned twice this season. I don't see how giving it up (one time) on the first play from scrimmage is worse than giving it up at the end of the game when you know the offense has to throw.

Dude, you're too young to know anything about either Woodson's tenure in the Big Ten. Lowery has been burned because he was gunning for a big play.

Latest posts