When the CyHawk game is over, besides the score, what is your prediction for the most meaningful aspect to this game?

HaydenHawk56

For me it will be how the Iowa coaches use Petras and the Iowa offense. I hope they put our defense out on the field first if we win the toss. With this being Petras's first real road game (and hostile at that) I would hope they would ease him into the game and perhaps give him a shorter field to work with. His completion percentage is going to also be a thing to look at.

I would also hope to see we have a game plan for I'm sure a uber blitzing clown defense.

Hopefully Iowa's elite defense continues to make life easy on our offense, but it will be interesting to see how much our offense can generate if they are not forcing turnovers.

A hidden gem in this game maybe Iowa's punter. That dude was booting them in the Indiana game.....only thing he could have done better was keep the ball out of the end zone.

Last edited:
There are a lot of things to look at. I re-watched the Hawk Indiana game and Petras was making some nice throws in the first half. So if he has time and routes are on schedule and somewhat open I think he will be ok. Maybe run him on a QB draw or sneak early to knock the adrenaline rush out of HIM!!!!

I cant think ISU has better receivers than they did the last two times we beat them so I think our back 7 does well there. Need pressure or Purdy and of course stop the run.

The other main thing besides our passing game is the OLine and running. Remember folk that we lost an NFL 2nd teamer at running back so Sargent is missed until IKM pounds out some big yards.

So I will be looking at our OLine taking control of the game and whether Petras and the receivers can click.

Off-schedule plays by the QB. Last year Purdy didn't have any big positive scramble plays, but he did have a fumble. We need to continue to contain him, and it would be great if we force another fumble or some late throws on the run that get tipped and intercepted.

On the flip side, we have not seen Petras make off-schedule plays yet in his career. At the very least, he needs to avoid negative off-schedule plays. But he might need to make a play or two in order to put us over the top.

Sacks and turnovers. I think Petras will have happy feet and with that being said, he may be forced to run or throw and could, I did say could make mistakes. ISU will bring the house. Learn from that and do screens, anything to keep moving forward. We need to run and we need to run right at them. Let's not put Petras in a position that he has to try something stupid. Our D will make sure we stay close, and if we're lucky enough early, get some of our own turnovers

Petras good or Petras bad. The game, as well as the vibe moving forward for IOWA, could hinge on that

On the ISU side...if they win it will be the over-the-top rhetoric that's sure to follow. If they lose, the excuses. Vegas has "the refs screwed us" listed as the favorite, currently at 3-2 odds.

As one Iowa writer put it ...........Petras needs to be more than just "average" in this game to produce a win.

I'd agree with that as being one of the most important elements to success. As a #2 choice would be game plan adjustments. Both coaches have probably been playing it close to the vest thus far in anticipation of this game so they & we will see some surprises and need to adjust.

P.S. I'll take Iowa's depth over ISU with the 90's being a factor as well.

Off-schedule plays by the QB. Last year Purdy didn't have any big positive scramble plays, but he did have a fumble. We need to continue to contain him, and it would be great if we force another fumble or some late throws on the run that get tipped and intercepted.

On the flip side, we have not seen Petras make off-schedule plays yet in his career. At the very least, he needs to avoid negative off-schedule plays. But he might need to make a play or two in order to put us over the top.
I think Iowa State needs to run Purdy early.

Petras good or Petras bad. The game, as well as the vibe moving forward for IOWA, could hinge on that

On the ISU side...if they win it will be the over-the-top rhetoric that's sure to follow. If they lose, the excuses. Vegas has "the refs screwed us" listed as the favorite, currently at 3-2 odds.
The real number would be somewhere in the ballpark of 300-1.

As one Iowa writer put it ...........Petras needs to be more than just "average" in this game to produce a win.
That Iowa writer should pay more attention to his work. Petras can be perfectly average if Tyler Goodson and Iowa's defense have good days. Dare I say Petras is much more likely to be below average than above. If we were playing Ohio State, we would need Petras to have a career day. We're not.