When is Drew Ott red shirt announcement?

Feb 22nd is the latest it can go I believe.
Cool thanks. I figured there must be one. But yet they could announce it at any time before then leaving him on pins and needles every day... I wonder how much sleep he's been getting the last month or more. That'd be killing me...

Honestly... I'm not sure he even plays in 2016, even if he is granted the hardship waiver. I have a feeling KF and Co. want the waiver so he can continue working with the team and with Doyle to rehab that knee and help him be in better position for next year's draft.

Honestly... I'm not sure he even plays in 2016, even if he is granted the hardship waiver. I have a feeling KF and Co. want the waiver so he can continue working with the team and with Doyle to rehab that knee and help him be in better position for next year's draft.

He will have had been rehabbing for close to 10 months by the time August rolls around. ACL's do take awhile, but there's no reason he shouldn't be healthy by the season opener unless he has a setback.

Rob posted on twitter today about a guy that played 5 games and got a 6th year and another dude similar. Hopefully Ott gets the same treatment. At a minimum, he has a year to rehab and strengthen to make an NFL squad

Rob posted on twitter today about a guy that played 5 games and got a 6th year and another dude similar. Hopefully Ott gets the same treatment. At a minimum, he has a year to rehab and strengthen to make an NFL squad

Getting a sixth year has is different than getting a fifth one. I haven't read up on the player you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure someone who missed a lot of time throughout their career can qualify for the sixth year, even if they didn't miss an entire season.

Getting a sixth year has is different than getting a fifth one. I haven't read up on the player you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure someone who missed a lot of time throughout their career can qualify for the sixth year, even if they didn't miss an entire season.

I always heard it was easier to get a 5th year than a 6th one. If what you said is true, it's stupid. Why be more lenient to someone who misses a bunch of time over a 5 year career over someone who misses a bunch of time over a 4 year career? Ott could get one but since he didn't redshirt his freshman year he's screwed? That makes no sense at all.

I always heard it was easier to get a 5th year than a 6th one. If what you said is true, it's stupid. Why be more lenient to someone who misses a bunch of time over a 5 year career over someone who misses a bunch of time over a 4 year career? Ott could get one but since he didn't redshirt his freshman year he's screwed? That makes no sense at all.

Yeah. Ott isn't applying for a sixth year. He's applying for the functional equivalent of a normal redshirt year.

Logic would dictate that it would be easier to award a fifth year to a guy like Ott since most players are around for 5 years anyway.

Of course we're dealing with the jagoffs at the NCAA here, so logic ain't a priority.

If Ott is denied he should sue the living sh!t out of the NCAA

Yeah. Ott isn't applying for a sixth year. He's applying for the functional equivalent of a normal redshirt year.Logic would dictate that it would be easier to award a fifth year to a guy like Ott since most players are around for 5 years anyway.Of course we're dealing with the jagoffs at the NCAA here, so logic ain't a priority.If Ott is denied he should sue the living sh!t out of the NCAA
On what grounds exactly? Lol

It's harder to meet the criteria for a sixth year. IIRC, you have to meet certain requirements over multiple seasons to earn the 6th year. Like say you missed an entire year and then 8 out of 12 games in a second year. A guy who misses 8 of 12 games may not get a fifth year, but the guy who suffered major injuries in multiple seasons might get a sixth one.

Yeah. Ott isn't applying for a sixth year. He's applying for the functional equivalent of a normal redshirt year.

Logic would dictate that it would be easier to award a fifth year to a guy like Ott since most players are around for 5 years anyway.

Of course we're dealing with the jagoffs at the NCAA here, so logic ain't a priority.

If Ott is denied he should sue the living sh!t out of the NCAA

The B1G makes the decision not the NCAA. If the B1G denies Ott's application, he may appeal to the NCAA.