When Iowa Football Played Game with No Fans in Stands

Thanks for the great article and perspective, Rob. There is a comfort in knowing we have been through this before and came out fine.

Thanks for the great article and perspective, Rob. There is a comfort in knowing we have been through this before and came out fine.

What I always wonder is have we been through something like this before. I'm not making this out to be worse than any other pandemic such as the Spanish Flu, but when you look at where we were then and now its night and day. There's no comparing the strides we have made technologically with how far medical science has come since those times, but I also feel that there's no comparison in where things are now in terms of how much easier it would be for these viruses to spread around the globe and how difficult it is to confine it.

It almost seems to me like it comparing different eras in sports. While we've been through it before, it just seems so different; like comparing apples and oranges.

Interesting. Eerily similar to how they try to control it now. Closing down social areas, distancing, wearing masks. Funny it is the same as it was in 1918 and the same concerns including the economy. This why we wait for a vaccine just like they did.

What we are going thru now is historical just as the 1918 flu, and we will be a part of future history books.

On a side note, Coe also once played Notre Dame in football.

It was 1927 and Knute Rockne was the HC. I have one of the original tickets mounted on a display, along with the game story from the Notre Dame yearbook.

Amazingly enough, the game was tied at halftime.

Good write up. I'm worried about travel. We better learn from the past and just go ahead and play Coe, Cornell and Loras each 4 times to get us to 12 games.

My grandma wrote memoirs and talked about her family getting quarantined for diphtheria back in the '30's or '40's. One of her sisters got it. I guess it used to kill a fair number of kids. There is now a vaccine for it called DTaP. This shit isn't unprecedented, it just hasn't happened in a long time. My guess is that the economy is way more leveraged now than it was back when all the old pandemics happened so it will be interesting to see how bad the lingering economic effects are.

On a side note, Coe also once played Notre Dame in football.

It was 1927 and Knute Rockne was the HC. I have one of the original tickets mounted on a display, along with the game story from the Notre Dame yearbook.

Amazingly enough, the game was tied at halftime.

Interesting story about how Rockne almost got the Loras College coaching job, but lost a coin toss.

“LITTLE NOTRE DAME”
A tag of respect Loras College picked up in the early years of football was “Little Notre Dame”. Eight of the first 13 football coaches at Loras had ties to the University of Notre Dame Football Program either as players or coaches. Loras was known as the “Garden Spot of Coaching”. Legend has it that both Knute Rockne and Gus Dorais, All-American players and team mates at Notre Dame both wanted the coaching job at Loras College in 1914. A simple coin toss between each other decided who would pursue the position and Dorais won. Rocke became an assistant coach at Notre Dame, then Head Coach and the rest is football history. Elmer Layden, one of the famed Four Horseman of Notre Dame, built an n 8-5-2 record in two whirlwind seasons on campus (1924-25). He brought in Knute Rockne to speak at the 1924 football banquet. Layden later would become Head Football Coach at Notre Dame and Duquesne Universities. He then became the first Commissioner of the National Football League. Elmer Layden returned to Loras College in 1970 to honor the return of football to the Loras campus. He was acknowledged as Honorary Coach at the Homecoming contest between Loras and Marquette University. Overall Loras Head Football Coaches with ties to the “Fighting Irish” compiled 108 Wins, 87 Losses and 12 Ties. Other notable Loras coaches from Notre Dame were Dr. Eddie Anderson, Jerry Jones, John Niemiec, Len Winter, Vince Dowd and Wally Fromhart.
Bob Bucko ‘74

Latest posts