When Forbes is hired...

Lionhawk

what does the attendance at CHA look like next year?

With the ever increasing "Hire Steve Forbes" sentiment on the board and the comments made by Marc Maggard about possible recruits to follow, do we see a notable increase in attendance year one??

Would any other coach that Steve Forbes, other than Bruce Pearl, generate the same amount of interest?

I think his introductory press conference will have a lot to do with it... he will get people excited.

Then a lot of it will depend on how he puts his stamp on the program and changes aesthetic things, how he interacts with the students, how he wants to market the program.

But I expect fresh blood that comes from Iowa will be good for a small bump until we start winning.

Would any other coach that Steve Forbes, other than Bruce Pearl, generate the same amount of interest?

Other than people on boards does ANY casual fan know who in the hell Steve Forbes is? I doubt it

I told my dad he was a candidate today and he said "who?"

Forbes obviously wants the job and would bring enthusiasm and passion to the job. Enthusiasm tends to be contagious and I would have no doubt the fans would be excited, too.

Forbes obviously wants the job and would bring enthusiasm and passion to the job. Enthusiasm tends to be contagious and I would have no doubt the fans would be excited, too.

Agree completely 83.

I realize recruiting is the #1 job of the next coach, but re-energizing the fanbase needs to be job 1B. I think the enthusiasm and passion he brings to the table have to make Barta think twice about hiring someone else.

I think several of the current candidates may be able to lead us back out of the wilderness, but right now, other than the Pearl, Drew, Dixon types, Steve Forbes is the best candidate to make the "I AM PROUD" speech as he is introduced at the press conference.

I only hope that he is hired. And yes I think it will get a fairly substantial bump in attendance. More so than a coach from a mid major outside of a Barbee or Jacobson (neither of which are coming)

If Barta goes with someone like Gregory instead of Forbes he will have a fan revolt that he will never recover from. The dollar hotdogs will be down to a quarter next season.

If Barta goes with someone like Gregory instead of Forbes he will have a fan revolt that he will never recover from. The dollar hotdogs will be down to a quarter next season.

FALSE

90% of the fan base doesnt know the difference between Gregory and Forbes

Rick Brown if the Register today said Steve Forbes is a candidate for the Iowa job in his own mind only.

Did I miss something here? I just read the DSM article from today and I didn't see Rick say that in the article at all??
What I took away from it was that if Rick HAD insinuated that Forbes was a candidate "only in his mind" that there would have been insurrection as well

What I took away from it was that if Rick HAD insinuated that Forbes was a candidate "only in his mind" that there would have been insurrection as well

Rick Brown was a guest on KXNO this afternoon.

He's in St. Louis right now covering UNI.

His source are usually pretty solid.

By saying Forbes is a candidate in his own mind he was saying Forbes is not a serious candidate.

Rick Brown was a guest on KXNO this afternoon.

He's in St. Louis right now covering UNI.

His source are usually pretty solid.

By saying Forbes is a candidate in his own mind he was saying Forbes is not a serious candidate.

Ok, I just read the article and didn't see it. If he was on the radio, I didn't hear that. Thanks for the clarification.

Other than people on boards does ANY casual fan know who in the hell Steve Forbes is? I doubt it

I told my dad he was a candidate today and he said "who?"

Exactly. Do people really think Barta is going to walk to the podium and intoduce Steve Forbes as the next coach? After firing Lick who was the national coach of the year in 07 and with all he said at his presser about who he wanted to hire next?? I don't see it. The apathetic fans that have lost interest are not going to get excited about steve Forbes. At least Steve Lavin is reconized by most people and would be better PR... not to mention he has a heck of a resume.

Exactly. Do people really think Barta is going to walk to the podium and intoduce Steve Forbes as the next coach? After firing Lick who was the national coach of the year in 07 and with all he said at his presser about who he wanted to hire next?? I don't see it. The apathetic fans that have lost interest are not going to get excited about steve Forbes. At least Steve Lavin is reconized by most people and would be better PR... not to mention he has a heck of a resume.

I disagree. Forbes' story is not about "local kid done good" - although there will be many articles about that in the P-C. He is a top notch recruiter who can get the talent in here that has sorely been lacking for a number of years. If you want a solid 19-11 record and #9 or #10 seed in the tourney, go hire the best mid major coach you can find and that is what you might get.

Personally, I would like to see some talent roll through Iowa City on their way to the NBA. That will get butts in seats.

Steve Lavin would be a disaster at Iowa. He couldn't keep a job at the easiest school in the nation to get top players to. His teams never defend. He'd never win in your league..... that's a crazy bad choice.

mm

Steve Lavin would be a disaster at Iowa. He couldn't keep a job at the easiest school in the nation to get top players to. His teams never defend. He'd never win in your league..... that's a crazy bad choice.

mm

Have to agree Marc.

I would assume Steve F. would run the pressing in your face type of defense that Pearl runs. I thought you said he would run a more pro style offense that Bruce but what defensive style do you see him running??

Have to agree Marc.

I would assume Steve F. would run the pressing in your face type of defense that Pearl runs. I thought you said he would run a more pro style offense that Bruce but what defensive style do you see him running??

Forbes does a lot of the defensive stuff for UT..... so you'd see the same sort of stuff at Iowa that UT does.... ball pressure. Forcing passes to the edge. Doubles from up top. Switching screens. Some pressing.

mm

Latest posts