When do we try another QB?

what really really really gets me is on 3rd and long...and we throw the checkdown 3 or 4 yard pass...is their really no receivers getting open downfield or is vandy just zeroed in on throwing the short pass for some reason?...

It's really a crappy situation. We have no experience behind James, so playing a back up is really risky.

Vandenberg has played really poorly as a 5th year senior. It's really been an unexpected level of crap. If he plays like last year, we're probably undefeated.
No McNutt and a new scheme that isn't right for the type of players is what is wrong here I think.

I think the coaches need to send a message. If you play like sh!t then u should be benched, at least to send a message.

During every game (win or lose) I wonder what happened to the VDB we say nearly beat OSU a couple of years ago...

I agree, the backup will be worse. But all I see from JVB is poor accuracy and footwork. He just does not step into his throws. Also we throw way too much to the sidelines and not downfield.

Bench JVB if only for a series, just light a fire under him.

We have agreed on this for a while. As you are my witness, what did I say Friday night? As long as WE didn't bust out of the gate, things were okay. Let US make the second half adjustments, especially the way the OL and Weisman did.

His numbers may not have been good, but JVB did a very nice job yesterday. People seem to forget he was going against the best or second-best D in the conference.

It's just frustrating that in a season where we thought the O would "have to" carry the team, it's the D that keeps stepping up in terms of playing a more "complete" game.

Ever think JVB is making conservative decisions just to keep his job? If he makes that "risky" decision or throws downfield and gets picked off is he afraid of being pulled?
Is Rudock playing so well in practice that it might be in back of JVB mind?

I have said before if he throws 2 INTS, yet also throws 4 TDS in the same game, that I would be happy.

How many INTS would it take for KF to replace JVB?

Your thoughts.......

Last edited:
Teams will be pulling their punches so as not to injure Vandy. He's our starter the rest of the year. I hope like hell things will click for him. That was a great pass to Davis that got us out of trouble and kept the drive alive.

Teams will be pulling their punches so as not to injure Vandy. He's our starter the rest of the year. I hope like hell things will click for him. That was a great pass to Davis that got us out of trouble and kept the drive alive.

Yep, that play was incredible, from JVB finding him, to JVBs throw (which had ZERO chance of being an INT), to Keenan laying out to catch it.

Ever think JVB is making conservative decisions just to keep his job? If he makes that "risky" decision or throws downfield and gets picked off is he afraid of being pulled?

I have said before if he throws 2 INTS, yet also throws 4 TDS in the same game, that I would be happy.

Your thoughts.......

This is stupid. If Ruddock were playing well in practice he would be playing. When Stanzi was out playing Jake in practice he forced KFs hand and got the opportunity to play in games. He might not have gotten the keys fast enough for some folks, but he played. The fact we are seeing such poor qb play yet Ruddock still hasnt seen the field tells anyone with a brain that neither Ruddock or Sokol are playing well in practice.

This is stupid. If Ruddock were playing well in practice he would be playing. When Stanzi was out playing Jake in practice he forced KFs hand and got the opportunity to play in games. He might not have gotten the keys fast enough for some folks, but he played. The fact we are seeing such poor qb play yet Ruddock still hasnt seen the field tells anyone with a brain that neither Ruddock or Sokol are playing well in practice.

Anyone with a brain would not misspell Rudock three times.

The Stanzi/Jake C situation was quite different than the JVB/ Rudock one. Jake C was not a fifth year senior entrenched in the program, nor was he an Iowa boy like JVB. And I don't think Stanzi was a RS Freshman, think he was a sophomore. Ferentz is too loyal and conservative to give the kid a chance.

All over college football there are stories of young freshmen QBs playing well, and few have better resumes than what Rudock has coming out of Florida. He very well may be ready but we will never know.

My friends at the UI have said Rudock is an aggressive passer, and KF is not a fan of that.

Last edited:
I have no ******* clue how to spell ruddock, nor do i care. as much as kirk talks about how important practice is you woukd have to be **** all stupid to think another qb was "looking really good in practice" and not playing, especislly given how awful our qb play has been this year.

God your shtick gets old. Ferentz has proven time and time again that it takes him forever to make a change. Anyone who has watched Iowa football knows this. There is simply no way that Rudock is playing so poorly in practice that he doesn't even deserve a shot given JVB's worst in Big 10 play. It is FAR more likely based on what we know about Kirk that JVB continues to start because he is A. a senior B. an Iowa boy C. we are 4-2 (in spite of JVB's play) and D. Ferentz is stubborn as all hell when it comes to his QB's.

Your thoughts.......

Likely a ton, check Stanzi 2009. He was an int throwing machine, didn't he throw like 6int's at Mich St. that year? but they kept on winning. If they keep winning more than they're losing JVB is here to stay, it doesn't matter how poorly he plays.

I heard from someone fairly reliable that the staff is VERY high on Sokol, moreso than Ruddock, and that Sokol is a redshirt at all costs this year.

Latest posts