When Did You Know You Were A Hawk?

Listening to Hawk games on WMT AM 600 as a kid as Ron Gonder did play by play. This was during the Commings & Lauterber (sp) eras.

Grew up listening to Jim Z on the radio and then my Grand Dad took me to my first game (1985 Iowa vs Mich) and Rob H kicked the field goal to win at the end. I've been hooked ever since......

It all started in 1981, as stated above, Iowa defeated Nebraska. I began to follow the Hawks listening to WHO and Jim Zabel. Would always have to grab the Big Peach on Sunday to read about the games. Remember the game picture from Michigan State game, that read "Thanks Bucks, Go Hawks"! Was a Hawk fan from that year forward. Now, our boys have been Iowa fans since birth.

The day I was born I knew I was a Hawkeye. My parents are U of I graduates. My mother is a professor there. My dad and aunt both work for the university. I have a cousin who just got hired by the university. Both my brother and I have worked for the university. I grew up in Iowa City and graduated from City High. I have black and gold in my veins.

As the question is, "When did you know you were a Hawk?", I would say. 1952.

Me, too. I would have been 7 years old and you could have found me sitting in our kitchen, tuned into a radio station, listening intently to Iowa football and basketball games. Saw my first Iowa game that year at Kinnick and was so fascinated by the huge crowd that I don't even remember the game. First BB game was in Minneapolis when Don Nelson personally took the Goofer's to the wood shed.

Listening to all Hawkeye Sports on WHO in the late 70s then playing those sports with my brother and pretending to be the Hawks. Grandmother might be the biggest Hawkeye fan in the world and was born in Iowa City so we might have been brainwashed. Hayden and Lute cemented all fandom before I was even 10 years old. Might have been the best years in Hawkeye Sports history. Let's hope it was just one of many great time frames.

Latest posts