When Did You Know You Were A Hawk?

Attended many football and men's/women's basketball games growing up. But nothing sticks with me more than sitting in CHA and watching the Brands, Steiners, Big O etc... tear apart the opposition. But probably the day I was a twinkle in my parents' eyes. Just didn't know it yet.

Watched Iowa BB team play a nite game on black n white TV Think it was Loyola Chicago. I know it was in Chicago. Sam Williams & Houston Breedlove. about 1966. Been a Hawk fan every since

I was living under a bridge the year the Hawks went 0-11 (1973). So much Hawkeye clothing was donated to the Salvation Army and Goodwill that fall that I fell in love with the Hawks. I was the best dressed bum around.

Thank you Franl Lauterbur

No specific date other than listening to WHO to the Iowa BB games during the 69-70 season. Used to always have on the Z as a kid on the radio....mid to late 60s....first Kinnick game was against PSU in 1974. We lost of course but it didn't matter. Student @ Iowa 78-82....a Rose Bowl, Final 4, Big-10/NCAA wrestling champs, Big-10 swimming champs. women's XC champs, what a great time.

Iowa Historical Scores

Last edited:
Hawkeyes doned their new look head gear and uniforms....

DateOpponent[SUP]#[/SUP]Rank[SUP]#[/SUP]SiteTVResultAttendance
September 8IndianaKinnick StadiumIowa City, IAL 26–3059,700

$T2eC16RHJI!E9qSO8m7tBQwhOVCh5w~~60_57.JPG

Fry vs Corso - Read this humorous little piece
Tales from College Football's Sidelines - Herschel Nissenson - Google Books

fe74ea5b2f6a46195b5ffbd4d8d9c55589010ae3.jpg

I was at this one as a student. Sitting in the "J" section (appropriately named BTW)....was listening to the radio in the stands. Jim Z was so excited at halftime I thought he'd pee his pants.

Bummer ending....but a harbinger of things to come.

Also, check out the grassy section in the 2 o'clock part of the picture. You could literally bring a picnic, smoke/drink what you wanted and enjoy the day. Those were the days.

Last edited:
You rememer at the half... as the team formed the swarm and trotted off really slowly. The fans went wild. The chants "Rose Bowl" "Rose Bowl" "Rose Bowl". I was in the student section. Great times

When I was born. But it was really etched into stone when my dad started taking be to watch Gable's guys in the old field house in the late 70s and early 80s.

For me, I think what hooked me was attending the 1991 Holiday Bowl. I grew up watching the Hawks with my Dad and brother (who has now switched over the being a Clown fan, traitor) previously and long after that, of course, but that was an experience that I'll never forget. I was only 5 years old so I only remember snippets of it, but I definitely remember the Hawks taking the field and the fireworks afterwards.

My best guess is in 1984 when I was 7 at the Freedom Bowl in Anaheim, California. I loved watching Chuck Long and crew light up Texas 55-17 in a down pour. I met both Chuck Long and Ronnie Harmon at Disneyland and I remember being more excited about meeting them then BEING at Disneyland.

Was born into a family where you bleed black and gold, or you're put up for adoption.

I used to always watch the games with my dad, but living in Minnesota, and with my football career as well as my hockey career, we weren't ever able to catch a game until Wisconsin in 2010. We've had season tickets since.

Chad Greenway was my idol. I wore #18 all the way through peewee football and into high school. the Capital One Bowl was a moment I'll never forget. My dad jumped so high he knocked a ceiling panel down.

For me at least, being a Hawkeye is more than just loving all things Iowa. It's being a part of an enormous fan base who loves their team through the ups and downs. It's about all of the families who share moments surrounding the University of Iowa, such as the times I have with my father. There aren't many moments in life that are as special as the quality weekends away in Iowa City, or the Saturday traditions of watching Iowa football in the basement. Dad would cook up a feast for breakfast, and we'd sit and enjoy watching the Hawks, and nothing else in the world mattered. It was at a very young age that I realized I was a Hawkeye, because it's what my family did, and it's helped give us a tradition unlike any other.

1981, 10-7 over Nebraska...Had every reason on the planet to end up being a Nebby fan, that game cemented my love affair for the hawks, that and the 1980 basketball season.

Exact same for me...

I went to every home game of the 81 season. I was hooked after that!

I remember watching the '90 Rose Bowl. I didn't quite know what was going on, but I knew that it was big. I guess I was about 10? Knowing now that the game sucked, it didn't matter then. Iowa scored a lot late, and that was fun. I was hooked ever since.

Was born into a family where you bleed black and gold, or you're put up for adoption.

I used to always watch the games with my dad, but living in Minnesota, and with my football career as well as my hockey career, we weren't ever able to catch a game until Wisconsin in 2010. We've had season tickets since.

Chad Greenway was my idol. I wore #18 all the way through peewee football and into high school. the Capital One Bowl was a moment I'll never forget. My dad jumped so high he knocked a ceiling panel down.

For me at least, being a Hawkeye is more than just loving all things Iowa. It's being a part of an enormous fan base who loves their team through the ups and downs. It's about all of the families who share moments surrounding the University of Iowa, such as the times I have with my father. There aren't many moments in life that are as special as the quality weekends away in Iowa City, or the Saturday traditions of watching Iowa football in the basement. Dad would cook up a feast for breakfast, and we'd sit and enjoy watching the Hawks, and nothing else in the world mattered. It was at a very young age that I realized I was a Hawkeye, because it's what my family did, and it's helped give us a tradition unlike any other.

^^^ Great Post. My dad got me interested in the hawks but he worked most weekends, and my mom loved the hawks. It was great to take my kids to the games.

I went to my first Iowa game when I was about 5 years old. Iowa curb-stomped drake like 50something to 6 maybe. Didn't know what was going on, just cheered when my dad did but being a little kid in kinnick stadium was something special. didn't hurt that Iowa had blowout win OR that drake beat ISU later that year I think :D

Now THIS is an awesome off season thread. Good to read some of these...and it brings back some pretty awesome memories.....

I grew up in Clinton, and as anyone from that part of the state knows, ISU is basically a non-factor when it comes to coverage. The QC Times puts more emphasis on the Illini than they do ISU.

Anyhoo, my old man had season tickets in the old south end zone, and he always made it a point to take my brother or I to a game or two each year. I don't really have any specific memories about those games, but for whatever reason a game against Wisconsin in the early 90's stands out; a game I think Iowa won by blocking a field goal at the end.

So that's how.

Latest posts