What's your threshold for a raise and extension this year?

National Championship = 4 year extension
National Championship appearance = 3 year extension
B!G Title = 2 year extension
Division Title = 1 year extension

The money is already at a high enough level. Inflation would work as an effective pay cut over time.

kfootball needs to be on 1 year extensions until he isn't coach any longer. If he doesn't get to 9 wins he doesn't get a extension. If he does, then it's 1 year and that b.s. buyout language is gutted from the contract.

Would have to agree on the general opinion on the raise. For several years KF has not performed at a level that justifies his current pay so why would you give him a raise? Performance vrs salary the last several years equals "way under expectations." Remember I have been one of his supporters for years but I have got to be honest and realistic.

A one year extension based upon performance this year and that is only so recruiting wouldn't not be adversely affected. Would hate to see our three star recruits fall to two star recruits. Let's see the damage when we have to play the contenders of our conference after this season.

We still haven't proved jack squat thus far. We simply don't know the quality of our opponents that we have played. When Iowa State is one of the better teams that you have played..........well enough said right there.

Kirk hasn't earned a raise based on the results from 2010-2014. However, if 2015 ends in the 10-win range, I would think a 1-year extension would be fair. If nothing more than to ensure success with recruiting.

This is best reason. No raise needed, only need to cover recruiting but even recruits can't think KF is a paterno or bowden that wants to coach into his 80's

No raise. Obviously contracted bonuses are okay. Maybe show a little more love so recruits THINK he will be around for a while. But we have a long way to go before this year is said and done. Other than Pitt we haven't been tested. Wisky will be a great indicator as to how the rest of the season will turn out.

7-1 in conference.
west division champions
11-2 with close loss in BigTen CCG
Iowa gets Rose Bowl while both OSU and MSU go to CFP.
Iowa wins Rose Bowl over Pac-12 team.
finishes 12-2

If all that happens, the coach might deserve an extension.

If that happen, KF most likely wins NCAAF National Coach of the year. A West. Conf. Championship and he probably gets B1G coach of the year (depending on how Jimbo does in Ann Arbor).

none. Getting off the hot seat should be good enough even if we win 10+ games. His seat was red hot not too long ago. But if Hawks can get to 9 or 10 wins, Ferentz should not have to worry about his job.

When someone reaches 65 years of age in this profession, things change. They should always have a five-year contract so it cannot be used against them in recruiting. However, the buyouts are different. He should have a buyout that hurts Iowa less and less each year beyond when the current contract ends in 2020. Any years beyond the current contract should reflect this, as I believe he will be 65 at that time. Basically, the buyout should be a little bit of a reward for his tenure but nothing that keeps us from letting him go. About $500,000 seems right to me.

In other words, any year beyond 2020 means we can let him go by paying him the $500,000 and it is done. But technically he has a contract that always goes five years out.

He is overpaid at this point in terms of how the team has performed since the Orange Bowl. He is in the very top tier of coaching salaries as is, so regardless of this season no raise is needed. Raises and extensions typically are meant to keep coaches at the school. We don't have that problem now.

It is that easy.

Well played by the OP. Well played indeed.
Exactly. Things going too good this season that someone has to do a 'what if and double down by making it about $$ to troll KF, GB and the football program.

I was just as hard on KF as anyone else --minus the emotional hyperbole-- but there is evidence the guy did listen to the fan base and has changed things within the program that give the football team better chances to win. He didn't transform his football nature into Gary Patterson. He didn't have to and doesn't have to.

But he did listen, and some critics are correct in adding a stipulation -- finally did listen.

When you say "wins" are you talking moral victories or actual victories?

When someone reaches 65 years of age in this profession, things change. They should always have a five-year contract so it cannot be used against them in recruiting. However, the buyouts are different. He should have a buyout that hurts Iowa less and less each year beyond when the current contract ends in 2020. Any years beyond the current contract should reflect this, as I believe he will be 65 at that time. Basically, the buyout should be a little bit of a reward for his tenure but nothing that keeps us from letting him go. About $500,000 seems right to me.

In other words, any year beyond 2020 means we can let him go by paying him the $500,000 and it is done. But technically he has a contract that always goes five years out.

He is overpaid at this point in terms of how the team has performed since the Orange Bowl. He is in the very top tier of coaching salaries as is, so regardless of this season no raise is needed. Raises and extensions typically are meant to keep coaches at the school. We don't have that problem now.

It is that easy.

If the idea is to give him a 5-year contract so that he can tell recruits he will be around for 5 years, then you don't let the school buy it out for almost nothing. That is pretty the same thing as a non-guaranteed contract, which can be used against the coach in recruiting just as much as a short-term contract.

and you pretty much admitted thats what you wanted, to be able to fire him easily if you wanted to.

Exactly. Things going too good this season that someone has to do a 'what if and double down by making it about $$ to troll KF, GB and the football program.

I was just as hard on KF as anyone else --minus the emotional hyperbole-- but there is evidence the guy did listen to the fan base and has changed things within the program that give the football team better chances to win. He didn't transform his football nature into Gary Patterson. He didn't have to and doesn't have to.

But he did listen, and some critics are correct in adding a stipulation -- finally did listen.
He did listen but for as long as it took I'm guessing Kirk is a little hard of hearing.

If the season continues to go well...

Give him the extension (multiple years are okay)
Lower the buy-out considerably.
Lower the salary modestly.
Increase the performance-based incentives substantially.

I'm okay with increasing his total pay if the program continues to do well. Just make it dependent on the actual results.

This sounds about right. ^^^^^^

Latest posts