What's your threshold for a raise and extension this year?

If the idea is to give him a 5-year contract so that he can tell recruits he will be around for 5 years, then you don't let the school buy it out for almost nothing. That is pretty the same thing as a non-guaranteed contract, which can be used against the coach in recruiting just as much as a short-term contract.

and you pretty much admitted thats what you wanted, to be able to fire him easily if you wanted to.

Wrong. Once he hits 65 the part about making sure recruits know he will be there for their entire football career is out the window. He will already have other programs recruiting against his age so the part about guaranteeing the five years by having a buyout to prevent letting him go is out the window. You give him the five years pretty much for looks and out of respect, even though it really isn't a five-year guarantee.

I will admit to being lazy in my explanation, but it's not that hard and that is how you do it. The assumption is that anyone that has been there that long will leave on their own and not get pushed out. Plus, he is already being treated more than fairly with that kind of contract and not having won a conference championship in as long as it's been.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
ha-ha ha-ha ...this is a joke right? Let's just enjoy what we've got and see how season plays out....I like the "percieved" changes so far.

No raise. No extension. The only extension he gets is 1 yr at a time beginning next year to keep recruiting intact. (a 4-5 yr window for all signees). This of course, is token, as he may retire at any time, but you do it to maintain recruiting.

Though I'm not sure Barta would grasp that.

10 wins. No raise. 1 year more before re-evaluating buyout. Very easy schedule. We will see what Wisky has this weekend and NE is down.

No raise? Oh deanwormer is gonna let you have it. Anyone know what incentives KF has in his contract for winning it all?

If he continues to produce let him ride out his contract and then retire. It's going to take more than a one year change to convince me he's going to continue to put out the same kind of effort as he has this year. He's done a great job this but there's several years to make me question if it will continue.

no amount of wins, including a national title. This, like 2009, should be a "save my ***" year for ferentz. Unfortulately in 2009 our ****less AD forgot that.

Because there are so many levels higher another coach could take us above a national title!

Or for that matter so many coaches that could win a national title at Iowa.

Unless this was in jest and I missed it this is one of the most idiotic posts I have seen!

If he continues to produce let him ride out his contract and then retire. It's going to take more than a one year change to convince me he's going to continue to put out the same kind of effort as he has this year. He's done a great job this but there's several years to make me question if it will continue.

Agree.

That isn't the way it works. He will get an extension at the end of the year (for recruiting purposes). You just simply reduce the buyout as a tradeoff. This is pretty standard really, so you might as well get ready for it.

No raise. We win the NC. None. Extension would be dependent on wins. But no guarantee.

The Hawkeyes have paid enough for the remainder of Kirk's time here. Salary is status quo.

All that matters is recruiting. I don't understand the details of his contract, but an extension will probably be given to protect the recruiting process. Pretty standard stuff, actually. By the way, FERENTZ IS NOW IN LINE FOR NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR.

All that matters is recruiting. I don't understand the details of his contract, but an extension will probably be given to protect the recruiting process. Pretty standard stuff, actually. By the way, FERENTZ IS NOW IN LINE FOR NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR.

Yep, exactly. You can't just let him ride out the contract, lame duck style. If Ferentz keeps producing, I'm sure there will always be at least 4-5 years left on his deal, give or take. I don't want to see any more long term extensions, though, and he's already being paid quite handsomely on a per-season basis.

Have to admit, KF could be a NCOY candidate if the Hawks finish strong. B10 COY at minimum.

If the Hawks keep winning, why not transition from Kirk to Brian at some point? Heck, Kirk could coach the offensive line! Why not?

Latest posts