What's with all the dribbling lately?!

SpiderRico

Our offense, up to the Michigan game, we were as good a passing team as there was in the country. We would typically have nights where we would be assisting on nearly 70% of our made baskets....which is why we got up to the Top 8 in the country in offensive efficiency.

Ever since that game, it seems like the ball is sticking with one player for the majority of the shot clock and then that player either ends up playing "hero ball" or passing it off last second where we have to take a forced shot with the shot clock winding down. I don't get it at all.

I know part of the issue is that teams are now switching all screens in order to deny a lot of the early-in-the-shotclock-opportunities.... but with that being the case, there should be plenty of back door plays to be had.

Our tonic for avg to bad defense all year was the fact that we could rely on our offense to generate points....but with the fall off in our offensive efficiency, we're just dead in the water right now....

Our offense, up to the Michigan game, we were as good a passing team as there was in the country. We would typically have nights where we would be assisting on nearly 70% of our made baskets....which is why we got up to the Top 8 in the country in offensive efficiency.

Ever since that game, it seems like the ball is sticking with one player for the majority of the shot clock and then that player either ends up playing "hero ball" or passing it off last second where we have to take a forced shot with the shot clock winding down. I don't get it at all.

I know part of the issue is that teams are now switching all screens in order to deny a lot of the early-in-the-shotclock-opportunities.... but with that being the case, there should be plenty of back door plays to be had.

Our tonic for avg to bad defense all year was the fact that we could rely on our offense to generate points....but with the fall off in our offensive efficiency, we're just dead in the water right now....

Honestly I think it's mostly what Jon talked about in his last article. Lots of holding by the defense makes it tough to get open. Watch away from the ball and it's amazing the contact that happens. You aren't supposed to pick up your dribble so they dribble until someone gets open, but no one can get open because they are being held. Therefore, lots of dribbling.

Lots of denying, overplaying, physical defense at us. Our guys counter with back cuts and we’re not used to it so there have been bad passes to guys not there.

So dribble dribble dribble while waiting for guys to get open off of screens then more dribble dribble dribble waiting for next guy to do the same.

All the guards — Connor ,Moss, Dailey, and Joe have tried dribble drive at times (even JBo) to force this the issue. Not very good at finishing. They have to keep trying so that can draw fouls. Unsuccessful so far.

I doubt very much the officiating in March Madness will allow Maul-ball so that should — should — benefit the Hawks if they have their heads screwed on by that time.

Maybe the Big10 should bring in Big South refs for the Big10 tournament.

If I were the Iowa coaches. (I'd be richer) I'd have the players sit and watch film from the earlier non con games we had this year. The UConn and Oregon games especially. They need to get back to that and play better in the first halves. We've been getting off to really lackluster crappy starts to games and I feel it sets a tone we don't seem to recover from. Whens the last time we got up 10 in a game early and won it going away?

The game plan right now...for whatever reason...is feed Cook, feed Garza. Unfortunately right now Cook is a turnover machine, and Garza hasn't been effective. Meanwhile you have Wieskamp shooting 43% from 3 and they aren't giving him the ball.

defenses are blanketing Bohannon and Connor because they don't fear the drive. Those two CANT drive past anyone, so its a really smart strategy.

Connor has been atrocious as well at PG. dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shot clock expires

The game plan right now...for whatever reason...is feed Cook, feed Garza. Unfortunately right now Cook is a turnover machine, and Garza hasn't been effective. Meanwhile you have Wieskamp shooting 43% from 3 and they aren't giving him the ball.

defenses are blanketing Bohannon and Connor because they don't fear the drive. Those two CANT drive past anyone, so its a really smart strategy.

Connor has been atrocious as well at PG. dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, shot clock expires
That is weird they don’t sag off Cmac anymore . He can’t shoot a lick

Same story. Lack of speed allows D to over play closing passing lane. Less zone against Hawks. Need pt guard and slasher at wing.

In NCAA will see more speed. Bad news.

Hawks are least Athletic Big team.

If I were the Iowa coaches. (I'd be richer) I'd have the players sit and watch film from the earlier non con games we had this year. The UConn and Oregon games especially. They need to get back to that and play better in the first halves.
So your coaching advice would be to "play better in the first half"? Thanks coach.:D:p

So your coaching advice would be to "play better in the first half"? Thanks coach.:D:p
Haha yup that's my free coaching advice. But yeah to a degree if we'd do that we'd be in better shape. We've been playing from behind way too much lately. This group (most probably do) play looser and better when they have a lead. Easier said then done but their capable. Watch the first 5 mins of the last 5 games we've played. It's downright pathetic how slow of starts they've been getting off to.

He means easier schedule. Those teams are a combined 13-18 in lesser conferences.
Yeah I get that too but even the first half of the BIG season we were playing significantly better too... I was just using that as an obvious example of when they were looking their best

Yeah I get that too but even the first half of the BIG season we were playing significantly better too... I was just using that as an obvious example of when they were looking their best

Just kidding. The season is turnung out to be more of the same.

Mostly its lack of athleticism except TC where its slso skill. They are about where I thought they'd be... about 500 in the Big with a shot at dancing. The late collapse started with the 3 end of game wins.

Mostly I think its athleticism with lack of inseason development. The improvement thid year is aboug maturity. Next year is an unknown except Id expect close to where we were a couple weeks ago later into the season. The flameout is terribly disapointing. The lack of game mgt by the assts was shockingly bad. Great coaches should want great help.

tenor.gif

Tyler bringing the ball up the court.

We're missing wide open shots much more so, I don't know if it's fatigue or what. When they aren't making shots their confidence suffers and they tend to dribble a lot more. That's just what I've noticed, plus teams have been playing us much tighter and been better restricting our passing windows which again, leads the players to dribble to look for an open passing lane.

Just kidding. The season is turnung out to be more of the same.

Mostly its lack of athleticism except TC where its slso skill. They are about where I thought they'd be... about 500 in the Big with a shot at dancing. The late collapse started with the 3 end of game wins.

Mostly I think its athleticism with lack of inseason development. The improvement thid year is aboug maturity. Next year is an unknown except Id expect close to where we were a couple weeks ago later into the season. The flameout is terribly disapointing. The lack of game mgt by the assts was shockingly bad. Great coaches should want great help.

Another part of the game that seems to be getting worse is FT shooting. Cook seems to only get 1 of 2 every time he goes for 2, along with others. You would think that would get better as the year goes on but seems to be getting worse, which is not good for Iowa as getting to the line for FT is a large part of Iowa's game.

We're missing wide open shots much more so, I don't know if it's fatigue or what. When they aren't making shots their confidence suffers and they tend to dribble a lot more. That's just what I've noticed, plus teams have been playing us much tighter and been better restricting our passing windows which again, leads the players to dribble to look for an open passing lane.

Agree. Good point.

Ugh. That was painful!

I just keep envisioning Bohannon and Connor dribbling back and forth at the top of the arc. I've yelled at the TV many times "Pass the ball!". Iowa's half-court offense can really suck at times as there is no flow. There is not really a true motion like what Purdue runs. If they aren't able to get a pass deep to the block and they aren't creating space to hit their outside shots, they really become limited for options.

My opinion is it goes towards the mental attributes of the players on the roster. When you recruit players that know how to play tough man to man defense, you also get players that play through contact. Fight through screens. Know how to set their defender up to get open. Understand how to play without the ball, etc. You also get better conditioned athletes. These are all traits that are best suited for games where the refs allow more contact. These types of players can fight through getting mugged off the ball, on offense. They have a little more left in the tank, when the season gets long. They are wearing down their opponents more so than they are being worn down. Good defenders know the tricks to frustrate their opponent. They also know how to play when their opponent employs similar tricks on them. Fran needs better roster balance between offensive and defensive minded players. IMO.

Offense equals poor spacing and lazy passes.

Defense equals lack of effort. And back to last year’s routine of a couple TOs per game leading to uncontested dunks...and a lost opportunity to score. IMO

Latest posts