What's WHO going to do with Soundoff?

My biggest fear is they will put in a local Clear Channel guy like Jim Brinson. It seems like he is doing a ton of miscellaneous stuff lately and I wouldn't put it past Clear Channel to ask him. I would blow up the Clear Channel building if this happened.

Funny I was just going to make a joke about Jimmy B doing it LOL. That would be awful.

It needs to be an iowa guy IMO but im not sure who that would be.

How about Andy Garman and Chuck Hartlieb? I know Garman's at The Champ during the week so it'll never happen, but he went to Iowa, does sports talk radio so he knows how to deal with callers and like Jon, I don't think he'd be scared to call a spade a spade...or a drunk moron a drunk moron...and they're both right there in DM.

Edit: By the way...all of this is said with a heavy heart. It's never going to be the same without Jon and Z.

Thats not bad. I actually like Garmon allot. Unlike the TV guys on 1460 he is a legit sports fan and posses the capacity to talk about it in more than just a trivial way. Plus he is not too scared to own an opinion on things other than movies and uniforms.

Bring Garmon over to 1460/who and send Murhp and Andy over to be with Cotler and then you can have all the boring politically correct nerds on one channel.

How about Andy Garman and Chuck Hartlieb? I know Garman's at The Champ during the week so it'll never happen, but he went to Iowa, does sports talk radio so he knows how to deal with callers and like Jon, I don't think he'd be scared to call a spade a spade...or a drunk moron a drunk moron...and they're both right there in DM.

Edit: By the way...all of this is said with a heavy heart. It's never going to be the same without Jon and Z.

Oh no you didnt! I for one, can not stand Garman.

I have tried to like Larry Cotlar for over ten years. I've come to the conclusion that he is the worst sports talk show host I've ever listened to. I honestly don't think he knows how to think critically about anything.

I won't listen to the show if he's on it.

FreedComanche

Tim Fisher is the worst, ever, anywhere.

Cotler is horrible though, just incredibly boring to listen too.

Cotlar: Missouri Tiger fan so he is out

Garman: Absolutely not. He is not a fan of Iowa even if he says he is

Podalak: He won't do it

Rob Howe: Yes

Morehouse: Yes

Trent Condon: Yes

Tirrell: No way

Great while it lasted, but I don't see anything coming close to the last 10 years

Who were the two that did it in the early to mid 80s? Newell and someone else. I remember they used to read off the scores nearly every game in the country. Was it called college football scoreboard?

Newell and his partners definitely took phone calls and talked about the games. Newell had a good way of talking about the game with callers.

Cotlar was OK with Newell because he was the # 2 and he wasnt in the role of shock sport jock.

I cant remember one of Newell's other good partners but he was really good and he did high school baseball in the des moines area in the 90s.

Can't have Ken Miller do it...he admittedly leans Cyclones. It's going to be tough to fill the shoes...and it's probably going to lead towards awful instead of awesome until they do get the right pieces.

SoundOff has always welcomed callers from other teams and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they try to "combo pack" it and bring in a Hawkeye and a Cyclone...which will fail miserably as schadenfreude would rule the roost from day 1.

I don't know which way they are going to go but I am sure it will be a great team. I think Podolak will still be involved.

Back in March Van had asked if I was interested in doing it again this year, and I told him of some of the things my family was looking at (re needing to move to a warmer area) and we said we'd discuss things down the line as that played out. Then I told him in April that we would be heading to Oklahoma and we briefly discussed the possibility of me doing something from the Clear Channel studios down here. Then Jim passed away.

Since then, I've been doing what I've been doing and they've been doing what they have been doing. Were I them, I would have looked at every option OTHER than me, as it was just the right time to go a different direction. I still had some interest in the show, but not enough to where I was calling them regularly expressing my interest in remaining a part of it. If we were still going to be living in DSM, this is all probably a different story. But with me in Tulsa and not likely returning to Iowa due to my wife's health condition, it just makes sense that they go another route and we all move on, especially given that Jim and I had done that show together for the last nine years. It was Jim's show...I was just along for the ride. And Jim is no longer with us...

my guess is they feel it's the right time to make a change and I can't argue with that.

Given Joel McCrea and Van Harden and their vision for radio, I am sure they will find just the right team to lead the charge. Those two are excellent radio men, with Van possibly being the best there is in the nation.

I had a nine year run on one of the most listened to weekly radio programs in the Midwest with a broadcasting legend. That's not a bad deal and I was blessed to have been given that opportunity.
JD, give them my number. I'll do it and then that way they can have a host whose BAC is on the same level as the proles who call in.

Who are the guys that do the Hawkeye Huddle or whatever that show was. I think it was on Tuesday nights areound 7:00

the way you say this makes me think you just aren't 'opining'.....

Nothing to read into it, just more of an observation having been a talk show host. Ed hasn't done the show on road games, so they will likely want to add another voice...one person would be challenged to do it by himself.

What I just love about these shows is the stupidity of the callers.

Host: We have John for Center city, Hello you're on Soundoff:

John: Hello?

Host: Go ahead john

John: Hello?

Host: Hello John

John: Hi

Host: John?

John: Can you hear me?

Host: Youre on John

John: How you guys doing tonight?

Host: (now anoyed) Fine John..

John: I just had a comment on the Iowa football team

long pause...

Host: Go on

John: Well my daughter and I have been going to the games for 34 years. She (where she went to school). I was a (what I do for a living). And we always park at the... And we love the hawks, but I just don't understand why they made that call down there on the 34 yard line in the 3rd quarter......

(13th caller to ask why they made that call down there on the 34 yard line in the 3rd quarter)

Listener: shakes head, sits back in chair.

Latest posts