What's WHO going to do with Soundoff?

Jon - I will miss you talking the jihad wing of Hawkeye Nation back off the ledge and being the voice of reason after losses. I still remember driving back from the Wisconsin loss in 2010. It was Iowa's first loss in the league and everyone was losing it. You did a great job putting things in perspective and helping me and many others grieve after a tough, close loss.

Ed is a guy that I would tune into hear. I'd like to hear someone who really understands football and brings insight. Along with that person I'd like to have someone who can hold an audience - someone who does not encourage me to drift off and daydream during the broadcast. By now you have a lot of X hawks with radio/TV experience who know football and love the hawks - I suspect there would be a good inventory.

I just wonder if that kind of gig pays enough to make it worth someone's while - or is this the kind of gig that would be great for someone new into radio - or is it the kind of gig that one only takes becuase they just love Iowa football.

Jon's greatest contribution was his balanced perspective and knowledge of the history of the program, statistical insights and his passion for it. I'm grateful for Jon's contribution and was glad to hear the guy on see online during the week.

Those are the parameters being set, the questions being asked. My guess is that it will take some mix and matching and that it will take a couple of years to get this right.

Jon - I will miss you talking the jihad wing of Hawkeye Nation back off the ledge and being the voice of reason after losses. I still remember driving back from the Wisconsin loss in 2010. It was Iowa's first loss in the league and everyone was losing it. You did a great job putting things in perspective and helping me and many others grieve after a tough, close loss.

It was justified after that game, for too many reasons to list here.

I emailed Van Harden about it this morning and got this: "I am on Summer vacation and will return Tuesday, August 27."

He would have to stop calling fans "Dopes" when on the show. Since he likes that word, that's hopefully a deal breaker for him.

This.

Jim Brinson has a very low opinion of fans in general, and people that post on message boards in particular.

And he says, "Look..." an awful lot. That really annoys me.

cotlar has already been run from the show once, i hope they don't make that mistake again....

I have tried to like Larry Cotlar for over ten years. I've come to the conclusion that he is the worst sports talk show host I've ever listened to. I honestly don't think he knows how to think critically about anything.

I won't listen to the show if he's on it.

FreedComanche

JDM and Z have made football Saturdays a staple in my household. I hope they get a knowledgeable replacement with some talent.

Who were the two that did it in the early to mid 80s? Newell and someone else. I remember they used to read off the scores nearly every game in the country. Was it called college football scoreboard?

Who were the two that did it in the early to mid 80s? Newell and someone else. I remember they used to read off the scores nearly every game in the country. Was it called college football scoreboard?

Newell did it with Cotlar for a while in the 80's when the Hawks were really good. I actually liked them as a kid growing up...although I know I'm in the minority.

Taking nothing away from Jon, I think he just happened to be the perfect guy and he landed right in Van Harden and McCrea's lap, right guy, right place, right time. i hope I am wrong, i think it is going to take a couple of years to get this right.

I wouldn't mind if they find one guy for every week and then have a different guest host with them each week. And rotate through a few ex-players.

Newell did it with Cotlar for a while in the 80's when the Hawks were really good. I actually liked them as a kid growing up...although I know I'm in the minority.

i'm with you - i liked the two when they read scores back and forth - but i don't think they did a 'sound off' like the format of today? i just remember them going back and forth reading scores of games and maybe some brief commentary.

cotlar was on the show a few years ago - JD replaced him - cotlar was brutal.

Have Ken Miller do it. He has a great sense of humor and loves college football. If Brinson or Cotlar ever get the job, I will never listen to WHO again. They both are very hard to listen to. Nice guys but terrible radio.

Latest posts