What's our ceiling?

Hey everyone else, I feel like we've played pretty damn consistent this year. What do you all think? I'd say we have only played two games that were really bad (DePaul and Nebraska). Other than that, I feel like every other game has been pretty similar. I can't really think of any games where we played noticeably better than normal. A good case can be made that the Maryland game falls into that category because they're a ranked team and we blew them out. But in my personal opinion, that game was more about them playing really bad than us playing really good. Can anyone out there think of any other games where Iowa played way above their norm? Or do people agree with me that iowa has played very similar for all 17 games they played other than the bad two?

I’m thinking the ceiling is pretty damn high right now because our floor is high right now. Word is just starting to get out about this Hawkeye team. There is no team that I’m afraid of in the B1G. Very few on the National stage either. This team can play and win against anybody. A few teams may match up well against us, but on neutral floors, I like our chances. Our ceiling? At the very least Sweet 16 all the way up to National Championship.

Iowa Sports? Try being an Ohio State fan right now.
Thats not a roller coaster. That's the underground Disney ride known as "It's A Small World".

I have a sad memory of that ride. We were right behind a Make A Wish family with a terminally ill child. At the end of the ride he was all smiles. My wife and I weren't, we were close to tears-for the boy. Our kids were seven and five at the time. We have our kids. That family probably didn't have theirs for much longer. Whenever the Wave or the Stead hospital come up on threads I always think about that ride.

7-6 with an asterisk.

If Lester doesn't miss and or be less than 100% for the entire conference season we don't lose three games. This was pre shot clock, pre five second guarding rule, and pre double bonus and his specialties were running the four corners and hitting late free throws.

The only blessing in disguise was that his absence forced sophomore Kenny Arnold and freshman Bobby Hansen to grow up fast. It made those two more tournament tough when Ronnie did come back. Then Vince Brookins found his outside shot!

I was fourteen and I found it hard to focus on my homework for about two weeks. If social media had been around then I may not have left the house during that run.

I would say Sweet 16. Its very hard to win neutral site games when you can't depend on your D consistently.

Pretty much every season under Fran, the defensive efficiency has dropped over the last half of the B1G season. Right now Iowa is at #156 unadjusted which is good enough. If he can keep the Hawkeyes at this level of D, I think the ceiling gets higher.

But right now, I'd say Sweet 16 with a loss similar to what we saw at Michigan. Iowa plays hard, Garza flat out dominates, but Iowa's D can't get enough stops against a quality team and loses by low double digits in a very high scoring game.
"D" and 50/50 Balls create Edgy Attitude.Teams come together.Find ways to
Win. Hawks Seem to Have It. NEXT Badgers...

For programs of our caliber, I pretty much always consider anything beyond Sweet 16 as "gravy". Rarely will we be 3-seed or higher, while 4-seed and lower will normally have tough match-ups past first round, barring first round upsets.

If we make Sweet 16, it's a good season.
I totally agree. And it's not like this group had those sorts of expectations either. Even getting to the dance was kind of a hope more so then anything. Knowing JBo most likely wasn't going to be 100% and then shut it down like he did on top of Nunges injury just made having high hopes tough. But we didn't see Garza having the season he's had so far coming. Or this team gelling like they have. That's what's fun about sports. Ya just never know

The ceiling isn't that high to me because of the annual February Fran Fade that looms, the FFF, triple F whatever you want to call it. I hope it doesn't happen this year but we've seen this movie before.

The ceiling isn't that high to me because of the annual February Fran Fade that looms, the FFF, triple F whatever you want to call it. I hope it doesn't happen this year but we've seen this movie before.
So what kind of record down the stretch does iowa have to have for you to consider it a fade? We have 6 very loseable road games left and a few very loseable home games left.

At this point don't you think this is a little overblown? Yes he has had bad Februarys but it doesn't happen every year.

He's had 3 seasons that have gone off the rails down the stretch:
2013-2014
2015-2016 -- This one was the true meltdown, 10-1 in the B1G & ranked #4 in the nation in mid Feb. Finished 12-6.
2018-2019

In 2014-2015 and 2016-2017, Iowa was playing really well down the stretch. In both of those seasons they came into the B1G tournament on good winning streaks but lost their 1st game.

I totally agree. And it's not like this group had those sorts of expectations either. Even getting to the dance was kind of a hope more so then anything. Knowing JBo most likely wasn't going to be 100% and then shut it down like he did on top of Nunges injury just made having high hopes tough. But we didn't see Garza having the season he's had so far coming. Or this team gelling like they have. That's what's fun about sports. Ya just never know

Even though this isn't your father's Syracuse, when we got them on the road, I kind of felt like this team had some promise. But, there are still 12 games left. ANYthing can happen...and often does!

At this point don't you think this is a little overblown? Yes he has had bad Februarys but it doesn't happen every year.

He's had 3 seasons that have gone off the rails down the stretch:
2013-2014
2015-2016 -- This one was the true meltdown, 10-1 in the B1G & ranked #4 in the nation in mid Feb. Finished 12-6.
2018-2019

In 2014-2015 and 2016-2017, Iowa was playing really well down the stretch. In both of those seasons they came into the B1G tournament on good winning streaks but lost their 1st game.

It just seems like every year but valid point.