What's on the menu?

docholihawk

I posted this question last week but way to late to get much feedback. Because of my disability I am not able to go to games without a whole lot of extra work by many people. I don't like having to put people out of there way just for me to do something so I've decided for the last several years to tailgate in my living room. I'm just wondering what everybody has for food and drink for their tailgate parties. I need some suggestions to change things up. Any information would be very much appreciated. TIA.

watch at home.

Now that fall is getting here.

Maybe a pot of chilli, brats and kraut.

Also like to cut up apples, put 'em in a sauce pan w/ a bit of water and cinimon and make home made apple sauce - makes the house smell great!

Big enchilada casserole with meat, beans, veggies,your chosen sauces and how you like to spice it but instead of flour tortillas I like to spread blue corn or regular corn chips in with it and bake it.

A nice steak and some Templeton Rye for sipping. Once I left college I left the beer and brats behind.

This week I'm competing in a chili cook-off in the morning.....if there are leftovers my tailgate will be pepparoni pizza chili.

Thanks for all the great ideas, now I have another dilemma, which way to go. I have a feeling you guys do it right for tailgating. Congrats to all of you. Right now the enchilada casserole sounds pretty tempting but with time left before the game other options sound really good also. Before the Big 10 season ends I'll try all of them with the exception of the Templeton Rye. I haven't drank hard liquor for 25 years. It usually got me into things before I even knew it hit me. It just pours down so easily. Thanks to all enjoy the food, drink and of course the Iowa Hawkeye victory. Had to edit, I think I'll pass on the gopher and pickled pigs feet. Ok, I had to add this also, I'll pass on the everclear and samm. There used to be days when everclear was on the menu but I've never tried samm.

Last edited:
one more for you, doc-

shred a couple of chx breasts then melt in some cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and frank's hot sauce. put in a casserole dish with some more shredded cheese on top. dip celery or wheat thins in it. if you like wings, you will love this! we make it every weekend in the fall and people go crazy for it!

Go, Hawks!

Know what i figure is, if i am going to cook, why not have some people over. Get to know people and maybe i can atleast get them to pay attention to my hawks. We all have to give, some sooner than others, thats all. So give, share and be happy, cuz my boys are going to go on a gopher hunt. If i dont see second by the 4th, i will start to wonder.

This week wings. Next week a brisket. Nov. 2nd, bigger party so brats.

Are you smoking the brisket for at home are taking tailgating? I'm wanting to try smoking one for a couple games and then taking there. I could warm it in crock pot on way there. Curious as to how you do it if you take it tailgating.

Depends on the week. Week one, I go to our Hawkeye Club bar and order a (frozen--we're in Florida, after all) tenderloin. And yes, I go Vincent Vega and threaten to shoot anyone on general principles for putting ketchup on their tenderloin sandwich.

For watching at home, September games usually go with grilled brats, homemade kraut, cheese and crackers, maybe some summer sausage. Beer, wine and whatever else gets poured in my glass are all fair game.

October/November games is when the chili gets made and consumed with gusto.

All the previous ideas are great ones. We also do a party sub with ham and beans that is popular. Grilled pizzas that are fun. Grilled chicken or beer can chicken. Also a fun appetizer is tortilla wraps

jalapeno cream ccheese, jalapeño sour cream dip, chopped onion, shredded cheese mixed together and smeared on tortillas and then rolled up and refrigerated overnight. Slice into bite size pieces and dip in your favorite salsa. You can adjust ingredients to make more or less hot and use Greek yogurt style dip instead of sour cream. It's really good.

Latest posts