What's Next for Iowa Football?

Clearly option 1 is the most appealing! However I think Barta has been on record already saying to Scott D or someone that everyone is staying in place. So that kinda debunks any of those scenario's. We need the Kyle Krause's of the University to relay to Barta the money is not coming in next year until change is in place. Only then will that get Gary to act. I think if a handful of these boosters give ultimatums to Gary he then will have to turn to Sally for direction and only then will things start falling into place. It seems Gary and Kirk's MO is to allow time to heal all wounds (hence the "we'll evaluate the season after the bowl championship game" line). Well, ya lost that championship in discouraging fashion and time isn't going to heal this one Gary/Kirk. I hope your right Jon on the severance package option but nothing short of a Gary Andersen effort (wish Pitt job was open today still) is Kirk leaving.

Clearly option 1 is the most appealing! However I think Barta has been on record already saying to Scott D or someone that everyone is staying in place. So that kinda debunks any of those scenario's. We need the Kyle Krause's of the University to relay to Barta the money is not coming in next year until change is in place. Only then will that get Gary to act. I think if a handful of these boosters give ultimatums to Gary he then will have to turn to Sally for direction and only then will things start falling into place. It seems Gary and Kirk's MO is to allow time to heal all wounds (hence the "we'll evaluate the season after the bowl championship game" line). Well, ya lost that championship in discouraging fashion and time isn't going to heal this one Gary/Kirk. I hope your right Jon on the severance package option but nothing short of a Gary Andersen effort (wish Pitt job was open today still) is Kirk leaving.

Yeah, I thought so as well......unless the pressure/scrutiny has forced KF's hand. We will find out in the next 10 to 15 days.

There were rumors that KF was strongly considered for the Michigan job when Carr was forced out. Oh ,what could have been if he had left for that job or any job for that matter. If I were Bowsby I would be talking to Bielema about his interest in the job or beg him to come to Iowa. Because thats the only way I see GarBar keeping his job is to make a home run hire like that one.

Jon or anyone, can you explain the tenure of the U of I President? Do the regents have to vote each year to renew a President or does the president have a term they serve? I am beginning to feel that Mason is part of the problem. When a leader is setup to make final decisions and then ignores the situation, that leader allows a situation to fester. There must be some way to get the President's attention.

I wish I could believe that something would change. But it's just not realistic. I'd put that percentage up closer to 98%.

Student section was empty this year. Next year lots of seats will be I guess. I know the 6 seats I bought the last 10 years and Rv spot will be. I'll keep one seat just to keep my place in line but I think I'm out until changes happen. Sally has to have the revenue from football for all the other sports. It's the only way I see to force action.

Student section was empty this year. Next year lots of seats will be I guess. I know the 6 seats I bought the last 10 years and Rv spot will be. I'll keep one seat just to keep my place in line but I think I'm out until changes happen. Sally has to have the revenue from football for all the other sports. It's the only way I see to force action.

And doesn't the guaranteed money from the BTN contract do that for her? It appears as though she couldn't care less with having the worst program or having the best, because all of the bills are paid. She appears to be the key. Barta doesn't do anything without her because she's his boss. And since it is very probable kfootball doesn't make any fundamental changes to the program, we are probably looking at our apex for wins, right now.

After watching the offense struggle in 2012 with the new terminology and scheme...it's doubtful a new O-Coordinator with a new system is going to be selected. I just can't believe KF thinks he can be successful offensively in 2015 if they go through that again. The more likely scenario is Davis stays, or someone (Brian) is elevated.

I wish I could believe that something would change. But it's just not realistic. I'd put that percentage up closer to 98%.

All right it's a new year, I'm going on a limb early. I'm saying 80% he's not the Iowa coach next year.

Edit And I'll go 97% Brian isn't the new OC.

Very good read. Thanks Jon. The more I read and hear, and thats from afar, it is becoming more obvious to me that Sally Mason is a lot of the problem. Leadership starts at the top and she is at the top. I have read that there are a lot of problems with how the University is being run, values, priorities, and a feeling that she is serving more of her own needs versus the overall good for the University. That includes students, facility, alumni, and athletics. Jon at some point can you deal with this subject and if there is any chance she will leave.

There were rumors that KF was strongly considered for the Michigan job when Carr was forced out. Oh ,what could have been if he had left for that job or any job for that matter. If I were Bowsby I would be talking to Bielema about his interest in the job or beg him to come to Iowa. Because thats the only way I see GarBar keeping his job is to make a home run hire like that one.

I was in Ann Arbor, Lansing and Detroit quite often during that time. It is true that Carr and Mary Sue Coleman wanted Ferentz. However, the Michigan faithful including some donors feared he'd bring his conservative offensive philosophy with him and they would have been correct. They flat out did not want KF at Michigan.

I have no faith that any changes will be made although they are long overdue. Anyone who has watched Iowa football over the past 16 seasons would have to come to the same conclusion. Barta isn't going to fire Kirk and Kirk isn't going to walk away from millions of dollars. Plus, I think Kirk actually believes that he still has all of the answers which is part of his problem. Apathy is going to reach historic levels shortly but Barta is going to willingly let Kirk guide the Titanic down to the darkened depths. We can then comfortably nestle in on the ocean floor with our peers Illinois, Purdue, Indiana etc. because that's who we are going to be.

No assistant who is worth a darn is going to come to Iowa right now so I don't think any assistants will be changed either unless one of them quits or retires (Davis). If you really look at the Ferentz era, the years he won a lot of games it was because he had a lot of talent; he's also had years with a lot of talent where he didn't win a lot of games. The problem now is recruiting is garbage which means he isn't going to win a lot of games; he isn't a good enough coach and lacks the innovation to do more with less. I don't know if Kirk will stay here for the entire duration of his contract, but I do believe it will get much worse than it currently is before he departs.

It's sad; I went to my first Iowa game in Hayden Fry's first year as coach in 1979 and my first year as a student was in 1980. We weren't particularly good (went 4-7 in 1980) but you could feel a real change in the attitude, vibe, and direction of the program. Sure enough, in 1981 they won the conference and went to the Rose Bowl. It was a truly exciting time for Iowa football that lasted for many years. We had a number of very productive RB's and QB's and the team was always fun to watch. Iowa football today feels more like a death march into oblivion; there really isn't anything to look forward to in the near future.

There is a lot of momentum to let a 'great' coach just bide his time until it's clear that the end has come.

This can backfire horribly, of course, as the PSU drama shows. The legendary coach of that team had no idea how bad things were. He did not, in fact, have the strength to even stand with his team on the sidelines for many games.

We're at the point that Iowa football is can't miss TV because of just how weird it can get. Forward passes by the punt returner, coaches knocked five feet in the air, coaches getting running-related hamstring injuries on the field (Pitt, 2011).

There is a lot to be said for the entertainment value of a MINI QB PLAYOFF for the 2nd half of the game when it looks like neither QB got any sleep the night before. This kind of strange drama should be a sign of the end. Is Ferentz even self-aware enough to see these things?

Powerful, good, football-focused ADs have a list at all times. Not sure Barta has this kind of national clout.

Also, we will not get a big time Offensive Coord. here b/c they know that the Off Line Coach will ultimately have the most pull (Brian F.).

The best KF could do at this point in his career is be Mack Brown type and be the figurehead of the program while allowing some bright, young, coordinators implement their plan. That is not KF, though. He is not Mr. Personality and not a salesman, and as long as Brian is here, he will be VERY hands on.

Jon or anyone, can you explain the tenure of the U of I President? Do the regents have to vote each year to renew a President or does the president have a term they serve? I am beginning to feel that Mason is part of the problem. When a leader is setup to make final decisions and then ignores the situation, that leader allows a situation to fester. There must be some way to get the President's attention.

You're just beginning to think that?

Not really, the TV money is so ridiculous now it's almost made attendance a luxury, on the other hand it's made buying out KF easily doable too.

Latest posts