What's Next for Iowa Football?

You're just beginning to think that?

I haven't lived in Iowa for almost 20 years. I can promise you that Iowa athletics, let alone University politics, gets little to zero media play in other states. So unless Sally Mason has been discussed ad nausium on message boards since 2010 (which hasn't happened), how would I be privy to that angle?

Put me in the category of thinking a lot higher of Ferentz if he walks away with a smaller settlement. It would show that he values the program and there's a lot to be said about that. Now is the year to make a change. Next year, an average coach in his first year should be able to make a bowl game.

Firing or getting Kurt to walk away now is just dumb, the Gator Bowl didn't change anything about the programs trajectory. Keep Ferentz for next year, give him the ultimatum win the B10 West or your gone, when that doesn't happen fire him at the end of the regular season, we need to get our opening out there from November on so we have all possible candidates available and aren't going through leftovers like we would be if we fired him now. Let Kurt coach whatever ****** bowl game we end up in next year so he can get a months worse of praise from everyone recognizing him for what he did a decade ago, then clear house and get the new staff in.

KF always likes to control the game with solid defense and game manager's offense. KF will need to 'game plan' the 2015 team because the defense won't be any more solid than it was in the 2014 season. Iowa will have to react more to game situations. That, more likely, calls for a more prolific offense. I don't give KF credit for his ability to game plan.. to react to specific game situations. I think we're looking at another mediocre season next year... where KF will be the HC.

Last edited:
KF always likes to control the game with solid defense and game manager's offense. KF will need to 'game plan' the 2015 team because the defense won't be any more solid than it was in the 2014 season. Iowa will have to react more to game situations. That, more likely, calls for a more prolific offense. I don't give KF credit for his ability to game plan.. to react to specific game situations. I think we're looking at another mediocre season next year... where KF will be the HC.

Homer, you and I have gone back and forth regarding the defense vs. offense thing.. And after the TN game, I have to say I'm coming around to your way of thinking. That defense I saw on Friday was just disgusting.. No team speed, and TN just ran all over us. So, I'm starting to think that you're right about Iowa's defense maybe being THE problem. Whether it's a sheer talent issue, a Phil Parker issue, or both, I can't totally say for sure, but that D isn't cutting it.

Of course, I still firmly believe that the offense needs to improve, as you seem to concur with based on your comment about Iowa needing a prolific offense in 2015. I just don't think the O was the primary issue in the bowl game, although it wasn't what I would call "potent".

But that defense.. Boy oh boy. There are issues all over Iowa's football program right now.

If you ask me, it starts and ends with recruiting.. Not that there was a ton of talent signed to come in anyway, but losing Juan Harris's commit the other day stings all the more. The present is not good, and the future does not look any brighter for me, based on recruiting.

There's an old saying: If you can't say anything good, then don't say anything at all. So, I guess if I followed that advice, I would be at a loss for words when it comes to Iowa football.

It's time for a change. NOW. I suspect you're right though, that KF will be our coach at least one more year.

Homer, you and I have gone back and forth regarding the defense vs. offense thing.. And after the TN game, I have to say I'm coming around to your way of thinking. That defense I saw on Friday was just disgusting.. No team speed, and TN just ran all over us. So, I'm starting to think that you're right about Iowa's defense maybe being THE problem. Whether it's a sheer talent issue, a Phil Parker issue, or both, I can't totally say for sure, but that D isn't cutting it.

Of course, I still think that the offense needs to improve, as you seem to concur with based on your comment about Iowa needing a prolific offense in 2015.

But that defense.. Boy oh boy. There are issues all over Iowa's football program right now.

If you ask me, it starts and ends with recruiting.. Not that there was a ton of talent signed to come in anyway, but losing Juan Harris's commit the other day stings all the more. The present is not good, and future does not look any brighter for me, based on recruiting.

There's an old saying: If you can't say anything good, then don't say anything at all. So, I guess if I followed that advice, I would be at a loss for words when it comes to Iowa football.

It's time for a change. NOW.

I have also went back and forth with Homer and yes the Iowa Defense did lay n egg yesterday, but I've watched this team each and every game this season and aside from a couple games Iowa Defense was not the overall issue..

Iowa's Defense went into the Tenn game as the 18th Ranked for Total Defense in the Country. Schedule was weak but for the most part the Defense held up..

I have also went back and forth with Homer and yes the Iowa Defense did lay n egg yesterday, but I've watched this team each and every game this season and besides a couple games Iowa Defense was not the overall issue..]

Iowa's Defense went into the Tenn game as the 18th Ranked for Total Defense in the Country. Schedule was weak but for the most part the Defense held up..

Inconsistency has been an issue on both sides of the ball IMO. I think that both units had their moments, both good and bad. Just looking at the Wisconsin game.. I thought the D did a good job on Gordon in the first half, but the O stalled. In the second half, it was basically the opposite.

Regarding the bowl game specifically, coming from a casual fan who is not an X's and O's guru.. I am not sure if TN was just that much better, or if it was lack of preparation, coaching, effort, or all the above. Either way, Iowa's D didn't show up. I do have trouble believing that a 6-6 TN team was THAT much better than we were. So to me, that points to coaching.

But as I said, both units have a lot of work to do. There are too many issues to lay blame on one single area.

This is also pretty telling regarding the D:

Schwartz’s item listed several cold, hard facts, one of them being Iowa went 1-4 over its last five games, with the four losses seeing Iowa allow an average of 40 points per loss. That number is actually 39.75. Add in the 38 points Maryland scored against Iowa and the Hawkeyes have allowed 39.4 points per game in their last five losses.

QQB

Of course, I still firmly believe that the offense needs to improve, as you seem to concur with based on your comment about Iowa needing a prolific offense in 2015. I just don't think the O was the primary issue in the bowl game, although it wasn't what I would call "potent".

If you ask me, it starts and ends with recruiting.. Not that there was a ton of talent signed to come in anyway, but losing Juan Harris's commit the other day stings all the more. The present is not good, and the future does not look any brighter for me, based on recruiting.

It's time for a change. NOW. I suspect you're right though, that KF will be our coach at least one more year.

The QB nonsense gets a lot of talk, as does the lack of skill talent, lack of speed, etc. All fall under the umbrella of recruiting or lack of it.

Beathard/Rudock shouldn't be an issue. A good coach/recruiter would have a QB on the roster that would clearly be better than both.

But even they are just a small sample of what plagues this program. A complete lack of talent at all position groups.

And the point, also, that KF likes a game manager's offense that attempts to take more time off the clock than score points. Well, Tennessee scored 35? in the first half. Iowa had to let CJ in the game. Had to fling the ball all around the field in an attempt to catch up. Maybe KF realizes an offense that scores TDs also takes time off the clock?

This is also pretty telling regarding the D:

Schwartz’s item listed several cold, hard facts, one of them being Iowa went 1-4 over its last five games, with the four losses seeing Iowa allow an average of 40 points per loss. That number is actually 39.75. Add in the 38 points Maryland scored against Iowa and the Hawkeyes have allowed 39.4 points per game in their last five losses.

Those stats are very deceiving.. I'm not going to get into it. Not disagreeing with on the bowl game though.. Take Minnesota game real quick Iowa's Defense was on the field for over 36 minutes and the 3 Turnovers didn't help much.... :)

I haven't lived in Iowa for almost 20 years. I can promise you that Iowa athletics, let alone University politics, gets little to zero media play in other states. So unless Sally Mason has been discussed ad nausium on message boards since 2010 (which hasn't happened), how would I be privy to that angle?

Basically was just joking but she has been talked about quite a bit on here, remember here campaign against tailgating?

Shes horrible.

Those stats are very deceiving.. I'm not going to get into it. Not disagreeing with on the bowl game though.. Take Minnesota game real quick Iowa's Defense was on the field for over 36 minutes and the 3 Turnovers didn't help much.... :)
Those high-point defensive loss stats are deceiving but Iowa's 18th in the country defense stat ISN'T deceiving? Eh? Let's see, Iowa's defense wasn't effective against good running teams (Wisconsin, or Minnesota). Wasn't good against spread teams (Maryland or Nebraska). Wasn't good against a running/spread team (Tennessee). Wasn't good against teams that threw the ball down the field (Nebraska) Had to injure the Indiana's QB to stop their spread offense.

Where's the goodness in Iowa's defense this season ? I think it was deceiving Iowa's defense rated 18th best while playing most games in the B1G where offenses aren't particularly potent and having an easy non-con schedule.

Iowa's defense, this season, wasn't erratic. It was always good against certain types of offenses and always bad against other types of offenses. Not erratic at all.

Last edited:
Those high-point defensive loss stats are deceiving but Iowa's 18th in the country defense stat ISN'T deceiving? Eh? Let's see, Iowa's defense wasn't effective against good running teams (Wisconsin, or Minnesota). Wasn't good against spread teams (Maryland or Nebraska). Wasn't good against a running/spread team (Tennessee). Wasn't good against teams that threw the ball down the field (Nebraska) Had to injure the Indiana's QB to stop their spread offense.

Where's the goodness in Iowa's defense this season ? I think it was deceiving Iowa's defense rated 18th best while playing most games in the B1G where offenses aren't particularly potent and having an easy non-con schedule.

Iowa's defense, this season, wasn't erratic. It was always good against certain types of offenses and always bad against other types of offenses. Not erratic at all.

I'm sick and tired of you and others using the Minnesota game as example. It flat out ridiculous, especially the position that the offense put the Defense in the ENTIRE game, I mean the ENTIRE GAME.. and as for the Nebraska Game as well, What a complete JOKE!! I sat in person through both those games and no way no how are you going to have me ripping on that D..

If a coach could game plan and play an offense that played against Iowa's weaknesses on defense, they'd win every time. Not sure if this is both a personnel problem and coaching problem. Let me throw in another weakness of Iowa's defense: covering the back and TE on passing routes.

Last edited:
I'm sick and tired of you and others using the Minnesota game as example. It flat out ridiculous, especially the position that the offense put the Defense in the ENTIRE game, I mean the ENTIRE GAME.. and as for the Nebraska Game as well, What a complete JOKE!! I sat in person through both those games and no way no how are you going to have me ripping on that D..

Well, the defense against Minny was pretty bad at the start. Here are the drive charts:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=400547933

For the 1st half, Iowa had the ball for 32 plays and Minny 37 plays (including 2 kneel downs). Yards were Iowa = 127 , Minny = 261. Minny only scored after one of the 3 1st half turnovers. Yet, they led 35-7. I would say the defense had a terrible game.

---------Beathard/Rudock shouldn't be an issue. A good coach/recruiter would have a QB on the roster that would clearly be better than both.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Point of the day

Latest posts