What would you like to see happen to B10

Which one do you want

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frankswanson234

When the b10 added penn state, we moved to 11. Now we are constantly made fun of. Heres The question, would you like to see the big 10, add 1 team and changes names and get a conf chmp game. Or drop a team(PSTATE, Purdue, illini). Any other ideas

Unless every conference in the country goes to a conference championship game, I DO NOT think the Big Ten should have a conf. title game.

There is no way that we drop a team from our conference. If we still had 10 schools with the additonal game being added recently to the schedules, we could play every team in the conference. In this day and age with televison contract money and finding a school in the midwest the size of other Big 10 schools, it would be very hard. Plus, another team in the mix is another team to divide up the TV contract and Bowl Money among the other schools. I don't see this changing for a very long time if at all.

I would send Indiana or Illannoy packing. JMO

I don't think we can send a team packing...especially (in Illinois's case) a team that was our Rose Bowl rep 2 short years ago.

In lieu of a conf championship game, I would like us to go to a round robin to eliminate the years of having an "easy" schedule or a "hard" schedule. Everyone play everyone, everyone has the same schedule. The only differences would be home/away which would constantly be in flux.

If anything another team should be added. I like the idea of playing all the Big 10 teams, not scheduling cupcake teams and playing later into the year. The Big 10 falls off the map in November while the other conferences have championship games berng played and their schools are in the spot light. I wouldn't want ND brought in, would be interesting to see who would be brought in.

I don't think we can send a team packing...especially (in Illinois's case) a team that was our Rose Bowl rep 2 short years ago.

In lieu of a conf championship game, I would like us to go to a round robin to eliminate the years of having an "easy" schedule or a "hard" schedule. Everyone play everyone, everyone has the same schedule. The only differences would be home/away which would constantly be in flux.

I agree Hawkfan, keep who we have and play a round robin schedule.

However, I would consider the "Domers" and make a 12 team conference. There are rumblings of a 13 game schedule in the future. That would leave room for 2 OOC games and 11 conference games to serve as the round robin championship series.

If I had to pick between 10 or 12 teams, I would pick 12. If that happened I think we divide up into an east and west division, not sure of the break down but that would set us up for a title game at the end of the season. I don't know if thats the best idea but it would give us more exposure at the end of the season. Their has got to be a better way to schedule than how it's done now. I hate sitting out the last two weeks of the season while the rest of the country is still playing.

If you had 12 teams and two divisions I don't think you could do it geographical.
I purpose adding Notre Dame:

Woody/Bo Div

Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Purdue
Ill
NW

JoePa/Fry Div

Penn St
ND
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minesota
Indiana

Last edited:
I agree we cant just get rid of one of our teams, but 11 teams just isnt getting it done right now. If you look at the two most successful conferences the B12 and SEC, they have the right formula 12 teams, two 6-team sub-conferences. This is great for symmetry and more easily allows for a conference championship game. Obviously that would mean we need a 12th team. Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pitt are all teams that have been talked about in the past as far as joining the B10. Personally, i doubt we will see ND joining any time soon and Syracuse is not the caliber of program that we want joining our conference. That leaves Pitt, so if there are any reps from Pitt crawling around HawkeyeNation, the B10 welcomes you. :)

Ideally I would like to see the Big 10 add a team. I really wonder what they would do if they went to two divisions. I've heard the arguement that Ohio State and Michigan would have to be in the same division, but I think this is a bad idea. The possibility of these two playing in the Big 10 Championship (yes I would keep the name Big Ten, too much history) would be a media dream. It might also help us not become like the Big 12 where, even though the same team isn't always dominant, the South always is. I know that Ohio State and Michigan aren't always the elite team in the Big Ten, but face it guys, one of the two is always at or near the top and they get far and away the most media attention.

I think a reasonable option would be to drop a team (Indiana would be a great fit in the Big East, a basketball conference) and then add two (I think Mizzou and Iowa State fit geographically and would add the Kansas City and St. Louis markets to the conference; Utah and BYU could join the Big 12). Another option would be to add Cincinnati (an up-and-coming football school that has been consistently solid in hoops) or Pittsburgh. Notre Dame would be weird because either tOSU, Michigan, and Notre Dame would have to be in the same division, or you would mess up traditional rivalries.

I think a reasonable option would be to drop a team (Indiana would be a great fit in the Big East, a basketball conference) and then add two (I think Mizzou and Iowa State fit geographically and would add the Kansas City and St. Louis markets to the conference; Utah and BYU could join the Big 12). Another option would be to add Cincinnati (an up-and-coming football school that has been consistently solid in hoops) or Pittsburgh. Notre Dame would be weird because either tOSU, Michigan, and Notre Dame would have to be in the same division, or you would mess up traditional rivalries.
Great Post, totally agree, But I think maybe a up and coming mac team COULD work out

I would hate to see ISU or Mizzou in the Big 10, they are definate Big 12 teams. The Big 10 plays a different style of football than the rest of the country. Hard nosed, up the gut, come get some if you think you can handle it football. Mizzou and ISU don't fit that mould.

I think Pitt would fit very well on the field and the court both. I would also like to see Boise step up and start playing in a real football conference. Not necessarily the Big 10 but it would be fun to beat up on them on a yearly basis.

I would hate to see ISU or Mizzou in the Big 10, they are definate Big 12 teams. The Big 10 plays a different style of football than the rest of the country. Hard nosed, up the gut, come get some if you think you can handle it football. Mizzou and ISU don't fit that mould.

Purdue? Northwestern? Now Michigan? The offense Indiana/Minnesota sported the last few years? Not a whole lot different than ISU...

Missouri is a different story though...

If you had 12 teams and two divisions I don't think you could do it geographical.
I purpose adding Notre Dame:

Woody/Bo Div

Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St
Purdue
Ill
NW

JoePa/Fry Div

Penn St
ND
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minesota
Indiana

There is no way Michigan and OSU would be in the same division. Swap PSU and Michigan and I think it would be better. Don't know how I would feel bout ND as the 12th team.

I just hope that instead of them just talking about it every so often, they get something done. We need to increase our national relevancy, and increase the national perception of the b10, by adding a LEGIT power to the confrence(Cinncy, ND, Etc.) But i think dropping NW is a great idea because they lack the intrest, means, facilities to compete at a year to year basis

You really can't do a round-robin with an 11-team conference, the math doesn't work. While everyone would play 9 games (theoretically) in conference, somebody would have to play 8. Playing a round-robin with the conference as currently constructed would also force teams into giving a home game in the non-conference schedule, and that isn't likely to happen.

The only way a round-robin would be possible would be if somebody got dropped.

Latest posts