What would you like to see happen to B10

Which one do you want

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Adding Notre Dame would be the best for the Big Ten, but I see no way they would see it as the best for them.

There are also usual suspects from other BCS conferences. From the Big 12 the schools that make the most sense would be Missouri, ISU and Nebraska. Nebraska has too much tradition in the B12 to leave. I wouldn't want ISU in the B10. Missouri would be the best option, but it would be unlikely.

There are a few choices from the Big East that would make some sense. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Louisville would fit geographically with the Big Ten. Each would also bring a fine basketball tradition as well.

Another route would be a "promotion" for a program from a non-BCS conference. Are there any that would be worthy? Memphis from Conference USA? Would any MAC schools fit the bill? Would any of the schools that would stretch the geography of the conference be worth while?

Adding Notre Dame would be the best for the Big Ten, but I see no way they would see it as the best for them.

There are also usual suspects from other BCS conferences. From the Big 12 the schools that make the most sense would be Missouri, ISU and Nebraska. Nebraska has too much tradition in the B12 to leave. I wouldn't want ISU in the B10. Missouri would be the best option, but it would be unlikely.

There are a few choices from the Big East that would make some sense. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Louisville would fit geographically with the Big Ten. Each would also bring a fine basketball tradition as well.

Another route would be a "promotion" for a program from a non-BCS conference. Are there any that would be worthy? Memphis from Conference USA? Would any MAC schools fit the bill? Would any of the schools that would stretch the geography of the conference be worth while?
Some maybe would fit, but they dont have the talent/means/facilites to compete or be involved in the b10

I think Notre Dame should step up and pick the B10 as their conference already. they already play a quarter of our teams every season. Plus it would bring back some good memories. and it wouldnt hurt to see Ferentz put the beat down on Charlie Wuss

It doesn't really make any sense from ND's perspective. They've got a sweetheart deal with the BCS (do they even have to share bowl revenue like Iowa or any other BCS conf team would?), they've basically got their own network for games, and they've got the ability to schedule as many patsies as they want.

where's the KF plan? ... stay same, play round robin ... 10 conf games!

That would have been my vote as well; since I didn't see it up there, I voted to drop a team and play the round robin game.

Maybe Iowa should just secede from the B10, schedule all the service academies we can find (does the National Guard have a football team?) plus a home & home with Idaho, concoct a plan to automatically gain acceptance into the BCS party if we finish in the top 12, then allow Spike TV exclusive rights to air our games. Problem solved!

/sarcasm

:)

Michigan and Ohio State have to play in the same division. They're not going to not play the best rivalry in the sport every two years.

Thats one thing you have to consider. Certain rivalries will have to be kept in tact.

Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota will remain in the same division.

Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State will stay together

Purdue and Indiana will stay together

Northwestern and Illinois will stay together.

Just because they are not in the same division doesn't mean that they can't still play during the year. Obviously they will have to cross divisions during conference play since they play more than 5 conference games.

i.e. Didn't Iowa State just play Baylor? Isn't Iowa State in the North and Baylor in the South?

Go to 13 game schedule. With 10 conference games that would leave three out of conference. We play everyone. I would like this. We don't need to add a team. Let Notre Dame find another conference, don't want them.

Just because they are not in the same division doesn't mean that they can't still play during the year. Obviously they will have to cross divisions during conference play since they play more than 5 conference games.

i.e. Didn't Iowa State just play Baylor? Isn't Iowa State in the North and Baylor in the South?

Right, but Iowa State only plays Baylor twice every 4 years due the Big 12's schedule rotation - which makes much more sense than the Big 10's. They (ISU) get Baylor, Ok. State, and aTm for two years, and then it flips to Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech for 2 years, and then back to Baylor, Ok. State, aTm, etc......

It makes it easier for them to schedule non-conference games in the years where they have to play Texas and Oklahoma, because they're not going to win either of those games, so they schedule light in the non-con those years. Except for the next 2 years when they have UConn and Utah on the schedule along with Iowa.

Stay the same, and go to the round robin like KF suggested. Play 13 games, 10 vs Big Ten opponents, with 3 non-conference foes. Works for me. Get a true champion,and still get to play ISU,a cupcake and an AZ type game. Less filler please. All big ten games are huge and interesting...but the Montana Sts are not.

If we add a team, go big....grab ND ...or better yet..Texas. Bring Texas tvs and recruits to the table and you have a superconference.

Incomplete Poll . . . you left out the REAL option; to keep the same teams/schools, and have the round-robin throughout the season.

This gives us "10" in-conference games, and two OOC games . . . we are the Big-10 afterall. Also, if we needed to go to 13 games, as some teams already have, we could add another OOC game and have a Big-Ten Champion.

Way back when 'The Big Ten' became 11 teams and it was still called 'The Big Ten' I thought that was bizarre. I still think it's kinda' weird to call it 'The Big Ten', WHEN THERE'S MORE THAN 10! It gives the superficial impression that we can't count, kind of dyslexic-ish or illiterate-like.

Everyone is hollering that we aren't respected....well...

Change it. Though I’d hate to see ‘The Big Ten’ go away, I think it would be in the best interest of all involved. When I was in High School we were a member of the WaMaC Conference…The original WaMaC Conference. I still miss the old conference. Now there are 16 teams with an East and West division.

I believe a remake of ‘The Big Ten’ would ignite a resurgence of confidence and elevate it. It would be new and fresh. They will need to toss out a million dollars worth of preprinted envelopes and letterhead, but it can be recycled.

It’s time for ‘The Big Ten’ to change. If Iowa (or any Big Ten team for that matter) gets the shaft at the end of this season and the consensus is due to “The Big Ten is down..â€, then there is even more reason to revamp it.

I’m guessing there are a few non-BCS schools (I.e., Boise State, to name one) that would jump to become a member of a BCS conference.

Tip for the conference board members; Don’t put a number in the name.

Way back when 'The Big Ten' became 11 teams and it was still called 'The Big Ten' I thought that was bizarre. I still think it's kinda' weird to call it 'The Big Ten', WHEN THERE'S MORE THAN 10! It gives the superficial impression that we can't count, kind of dyslexic-ish or illiterate-like.

Everyone is hollering that we aren't respected....well...

Change it. Though I’d hate to see ‘The Big Ten’ go away, I think it would be in the best interest of all involved. When I was in High School we were a member of the WaMaC Conference…The original WaMaC Conference. I still miss the old conference. Now there are 16 teams with an East and West division.

I believe a remake of ‘The Big Ten’ would ignite a resurgence of confidence and elevate it. It would be new and fresh. They will need to toss out a million dollars worth of preprinted envelopes and letterhead, but it can be recycled.

It’s time for ‘The Big Ten’ to change. If Iowa (or any Big Ten team for that matter) gets the shaft at the end of this season and the consensus is due to “The Big Ten is down..â€, then there is even more reason to revamp it.

I’m guessing there are a few non-BCS schools (I.e., Boise State, to name one) that would jump to become a member of a BCS conference.

Tip for the conference board members; Don’t put a number in the name.

What would you call it then? I can't think of any name that would make sense and/or roll off the tongue.

ND is the choice.

Let them keep their NBC contract that way the Big10 would be on ABC, ESPN(all of them), NBC and the BTN..... I don't see what's wrong with this? With the SEC jumping in bed with ESPN and CBS... if we could add ND and lock down NBC... that would be great. Going nation wide on NBC would be HUGE!

yes? no?

I'd vote for keeping the teams as is and playing a round robin.

I'd also be okay with changing from the Big 10 to the Great Lakes conference.

There is no way Michigan and OSU would be in the same division. Swap PSU and Michigan and I think it would be better. Don't know how I would feel bout ND as the 12th team.

The Notre Dame Athletic Director came and spoke in my Sport Communication class a couple weeks ago (Saint Louis University). Someone asked him the question of if he thought they would join a conference for football anytime soon. He said that it will NOT happen, period.

ND will never join a confrence simply for the fact of $$$$$$$$. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free. If NBC is going to give up all this cash and the BCS will do the same then there is no point for them to join. Plus they get more national attention for being an independent.
I say add a school like Pitt, Rutgers, SU, or WVU.

Latest posts