What Strategy can B1G Teams use against MSU?

eyekwah

MSU has won like 19 Big Ten games in a row so it isn't just Iowa that is taking beatings. So what will it take to topple MSU? Physically MSU appears to be tougher than anyone they play.

If Iowa were to play MSU again I would be tempted to start Garza, Cook, Kreiner, Weiskamp and Bohannon. The idea is put the biggest bodies Iowa can on the floor. Play Cook at the post and Kreiner and Garza on the wings. Kreiner and Garza have more shooting range than Cook. I would rotate Moss or Baer with Kreiner and Garza and rotate McCaffrey with Bohannon and Weiskamp. When Cook is on the bench Garza would fill the post position.

My biggest problem is with the defense with this arrangement. If MSU goes small the lineup isn't quick enough to cover MSU, but so far no lineup has been able to.

MSU has won like 19 Big Ten games in a row so it isn't just Iowa that is taking beatings. So what will it take to topple MSU? Physically MSU appears to be tougher than anyone they play.

If Iowa were to play MSU again I would be tempted to start Garza, Cook, Kreiner, Weiskamp and Bohannon. The idea is put the biggest bodies Iowa can on the floor. Play Cook at the post and Kreiner and Garza on the wings. Kreiner and Garza have more shooting range than Cook. I would rotate Moss or Baer with Kreiner and Garza and rotate McCaffrey with Bohannon and Weiskamp. When Cook is on the bench Garza would fill the post position.

My biggest problem is with the defense with this arrangement. If MSU goes small the lineup isn't quick enough to cover MSU, but so far no lineup has been able to.

"Our Father, who art in heaven..."

I saw 4 quick video highlights of MSU's win over us on TV. In 3 of them, JBo was left standing, as Winston blew by him and in the other, Winston fed the post with a pass right over his head. Just sayin'

It's going to take a night where everything's falling. Like when we played Illinois last week. Or when Penn State denied Illinois a perfect conference record in 2005.

They are holding teams to around mid thirties fg%. They did it to us the other night. To beat them a team is going to have to be 55-60% from the floor.

It's going to take a night where everything's falling. Like when we played Illinois last week. Or when Penn State denied Illinois a perfect conference record in 2005.

They are holding teams to around mid thirties fg%. They did it to us the other night. To beat them a team is going to have to be 55-60% from the floor.

We would have won if we could have had 6 or 7 players on the floor at the same time

Make our 3 pointers. Have unbiased officiating. Rebound better. Iffen we had done or had those things we win by 10.

The best part of his coaching Thursday was his manipulation of the officials. It probably started from the time he arrived at Carver. The officiating wasn’t obviously biased but iffen you watch it was biased. The game and season stats support my opinion on this.

Kill Izzo.

OK. Maybe that's a bit extreme.
I jumped for joy when I heard the news of Jud Heathcote retiring. I thought for sure that program would trend downward. Who was going to replace Jud?

Answer: An even better, even more successful coach. Who's tenure is now longer than his mentor's was. Indiana and Illinois have had varying amounts of success replacing the legendary coaches of my youth. Michigan State and Purdue have barely skipped a beat. Gard has done a good job the last two weeks righting a listing ship and not letting two or three losses morph into six or eight.

So here's the deal. To beat MSU as an Iowa team, you got to out MSU them. We won't ever have until Izzo's gone, better recruiting, better athletes, etc. So to beat them you got to match their physicality, match their hustle, match their intensity, and even out due it. You got to out muddy their muddying up the game. Make it a fist fight. It requires a deep team, that is big down low, and you need a defensive point guard to stop the drive by guards. We have a team that can fist fight with them down low, we have depth. I think i'd probably switch weiskamp onto their point guard most of the game, because he's longer than jbo and our other guards. Kinda like when the bulls used to switch pippen onto certain point guards. I know weiskamp isn't pippen, that's not my point. but his length would help on their pg's. Honestly its a game where Pemsl would help a lot. The other thing is, you can't take minutes off, can't have any time where your effort drops. Go when a fist fight. In recent years when we have played msu, when we get punched in the mouth once, we've folded. Same thing happened in the 2nd half the other night. They started a run, and we couldn't get out of our own way, couldn't fight through fouls. You're going to get fouled against msu, its not going to be called, you have to be tough with the dang ball.

So here's the deal. To beat MSU as an Iowa team, you got to out MSU them. We won't ever have until Izzo's gone, better recruiting, better athletes, etc. So to beat them you got to match their physicality, match their hustle, match their intensity, and even out due it. You got to out muddy their muddying up the game. Make it a fist fight. It requires a deep team, that is big down low, and you need a defensive point guard to stop the drive by guards. We have a team that can fist fight with them down low, we have depth. I think i'd probably switch weiskamp onto their point guard most of the game, because he's longer than jbo and our other guards. Kinda like when the bulls used to switch pippen onto certain point guards. I know weiskamp isn't pippen, that's not my point. but his length would help on their pg's. Honestly its a game where Pemsl would help a lot. The other thing is, you can't take minutes off, can't have any time where your effort drops. Go when a fist fight. In recent years when we have played msu, when we get punched in the mouth once, we've folded. Same thing happened in the 2nd half the other night. They started a run, and we couldn't get out of our own way, couldn't fight through fouls. You're going to get fouled against msu, its not going to be called, you have to be tough with the dang ball.

Please edit with paragraphs.

How is Purdue not ranked? They also have wins over Maryland and at Wisconsin.

They won't be unranked much longer. Hopefully the team they replace in the rankings isn't Iowa. We probably drop out with a loss to Minnesota.

Latest posts