What Strategy can B1G Teams use against MSU?

Make shots. Yes, MSU is/was allowed to grab and hold and get away with their typical B1G "physicality". But this team isn't stellar defensively with what you normally expect from a Izzo team. You will get shots, you just have to make them.

Golly gee. A 19-3 run. And counting. Sparty is capable of doing this to lots of teams. Who'd of thunk? Winston is the key. Probable league MVP.

MSU has won like 19 Big Ten games in a row so it isn't just Iowa that is taking beatings. So what will it take to topple MSU? Physically MSU appears to be tougher than anyone they play.

If Iowa were to play MSU again I would be tempted to start Garza, Cook, Kreiner, Weiskamp and Bohannon. The idea is put the biggest bodies Iowa can on the floor. Play Cook at the post and Kreiner and Garza on the wings. Kreiner and Garza have more shooting range than Cook. I would rotate Moss or Baer with Kreiner and Garza and rotate McCaffrey with Bohannon and Weiskamp. When Cook is on the bench Garza would fill the post position.

My biggest problem is with the defense with this arrangement. If MSU goes small the lineup isn't quick enough to cover MSU, but so far no lineup has been able to.

In the B1G regular season? It takes a terrible MSU shooting night or a fairly called game. The latter is impossible to get during season play. In the post season the refs crack down on MSU and they eventually sink their own ship with fouls.

MSU is the Kansas of the B1G. They get to mug you sideways and you have to play out of this world at every position for the entire game. I don't think this Iowa team has it in them. Oh well plenty of other teams to play and hopefully beat.

Ever see Tonya lately?

She looks like she's 55 or 60 years old. She looks like the employee who meets you at the drive up to accept Goodwill donations.

Wow quite a goodwill comment. Harding is right at the door of 50.

Know of some 55 plus women that turn heads without surgery.

Only thing I can think that might take them out of their game plan is to play full court pressure defense all night long to make them work harder bringer the ball up the court and try to get them to turn the ball over. On offense, slow it down, take the air outta the ball and make them play slowball and get them playing at a rythym they are not used to. It may be enough to frustrate them and get them outta sync. Dont think anybodys tried that on them yet. Wheres Lickliter when you need him! Lol!

Harms is a big dude who can battle inside with the MSU players. PU 's point guard is every bit as good as MSU'S. Shooters who can hit the bottom of the net from outside helps a lot!

Schedule all Spartan games at Purdue and pay the Boilermaker Student Body to attend and cheer for the Hawks.....

Problem solved

:cool:

I jumped for joy when I heard the news of Jud Heathcote retiring. I thought for sure that program would trend downward. Who was going to replace Jud?

Answer: An even better, even more successful coach. Who's tenure is now longer than his mentor's was. Indiana and Illinois have had varying amounts of success replacing the legendary coaches of my youth. Michigan State and Purdue have barely skipped a beat. Gard has done a good job the last two weeks righting a listing ship and not letting two or three losses morph into six or eight.

One time before playing Mr. Davis's Hawks, to counter the full court press Hethcote had Mateen Cleves, at practice, bring the ball downcourt by himself, against 5 defenders.....

:cool:

Ever see Tonya lately?

She looks like she's 55 or 60 years old. She looks like the employee who meets you at the drive up to accept Goodwill donations.

Nope but guess she is pushing 50. She used to look ok back in the day, but now.. Yikes.

Last edited:

Latest posts