What penalty in football ticks you off the most.

I hate the call of running into the punter. I can't stand it if you are on a full speed run and you dive to block the ball and you miss it and just nick the punter you are flagged. Yet if you hit the ball and take the punter out while doing it everyhting is ok. I believe in protecting the punter because they kind of lay themselves out there, but I just think the refs need to use more subjectivity in deciding if it is a penalty.

Too many men on the field, when clearly one man was sprinting his *** off and 2 steps away from being out of bounds.

What penalty pi$$e$ you off the most in football, like, which one do the refs mess up the most?

My opinion, holding, and my example is 2009 NW game where wehger ran 50 yrds for the tying TD, then its called back because of a holding call on iowa.

You mean the phantom holding on ferentz where he pancaked and spun the guy so boldly the linesman who was 30 yards away "thought" it was holding. So I hate the calls where the refs think they see something.

This was one of those penalty calls where after people saw the tape they said it was a great block that may have cost us the game.

I hate delay of games, although I hate when the Hawks have to call time out to avoid the penalty just as much. Seriously, get the play in on time and snap the frickin ball. How hard can it be?

You're talking clock management. One of the few faults I've observed during the Ferentz era. Time after time we've sacrificed time outs by simply getting the play in too late. Actually, this wasn't Hayden Fry's best thing either. It will be interesting to see how this goes with the new offensive coordinator. I hope for the better.

I can't think of what game this was, or the player, or technically what the call was. Racking my brain, maybe someone remembers this from my lame description. This happened maybe during the Iowa vs Florida Outback bowl w/Drew Tate - the year after the Capital One Bowl. Or, another "big" game, at least, against a quality opponent, just can't remember.

I remember Iowa being at least fairly close to redzone and getting a touchdown - a pass. However, it was waved off because someone on offense (DJK? or maybe the tight end, I can't remember) started running a pattern, or started to move, and because of his position, or "something", wasn't allowed to run like that on that play? Idk, I can't remember what the penalty was, just that it wasn't something obvious to most anyone, really - like, a minor technicality. Normally the action would have been ok, but on that play, no movement was allowed (or something like that). I remember us reallyyyyyy needing that td, this was a huge WTF moment.

I can't think of what game this was, or the player, or technically what the call was. Racking my brain, maybe someone remembers this from my lame description. This happened maybe during the Iowa vs Florida Outback bowl w/Drew Tate - the year after the Capital One Bowl. Or, another "big" game, at least, against a quality opponent, just can't remember.

I remember Iowa being at least fairly close to redzone and getting a touchdown - a pass. However, it was waved off because someone on offense (DJK? or maybe the tight end, I can't remember) started running a pattern, or started to move, and because of his position, or "something", wasn't allowed to run like that on that play? Idk, I can't remember what the penalty was, just that it wasn't something obvious to most anyone, really - like, a minor technicality. Normally the action would have been ok, but on that play, no movement was allowed (or something like that). I remember us reallyyyyyy needing that td, this was a huge WTF moment.

I think you are thinking of Tate's senior year in alamo bowl against texas. the hawks already had I think a 10 point lead in the 2nd qtr and had the ball around the texas 10. The hawks had TE chandler go in motion across backfield left to right and he settled as an h-back behind either right tackle or another tight end. At the snap chandler went against the grain to the left and caught a TD pass but some official ruled he was lined up a little to close to line of scrimmage, which was a very iffy call.

Next play tate throws a pick so not getting 7 or 3 points was huge.

I think you are thinking of Tate's senior year in alamo bowl against texas. the hawks already had I think a 10 point lead in the 2nd qtr and had the ball around the texas 10. The hawks had TE chandler go in motion across backfield left to right and he settled as an h-back behind either right tackle or another tight end. At the snap chandler went against the grain to the left and caught a TD pass but some official ruled he was lined up a little to close to line of scrimmage, which was a very iffy call.

Next play tate throws a pick so not getting 7 or 3 points was huge.

Uh, yeah. What he said. ;)

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/46829-what-penalty-football-ticks-you-off-most.html#post832147

pass interference should not be a spot foul due to the fact that most balls are under thrown and the defensive back has no way of knowing if the ball is short or not. its a jump ball situation IMHO and the offense shouldn't be rewarded for a crappy thrown ball.

pass interference should not be a spot foul due to the fact that most balls are under thrown and the defensive back has no way of knowing if the ball is short or not. its a jump ball situation IMHO and the offense shouldn't be rewarded for a crappy thrown ball.

This is full of problems...

1. You can't possibly back up the fact that most balls are under thrown.

2. The implication I am reading is that you're insinuating these are not catchable passes. When the pass isn't catchable it's not pass interference, by rule, anyway.

3. The DB's job is to attempt to locate the ball and play the ball. If they collide when each player in making a legitimate play on the ball it's not pass interference.

The way the rule is written is that a well thrown ball that is catachable has to be fairly defended without physically impeding the WR. In other words, play the ball and not the player. This is a pretty well established, fair rule.

This is full of problems...

1. You can't possibly back up the fact that most balls are under thrown.

2. The implication I am reading is that you're insinuating these are not catchable passes. When the pass isn't catchable it's not pass interference, by rule, anyway.

3. The DB's job is to attempt to locate the ball and play the ball. If they collide when each player in making a legitimate play on the ball it's not pass interference.

The way the rule is written is that a well thrown ball that is catachable has to be fairly defended without physically impeding the WR. In other words, play the ball and not the player. This is a pretty well established, fair rule.
Well it is a judgement call isn't it? and in my judgement most deep balls are poorly thrown and under thrown resulting in the DB running into a WR that has to STOP and come back to the ball.....is that really fair on a defense? But thanks for making my point for me dog. If the ball were well thrown and led the reciever there would be no chance of PI......right? But I rarely see that, I see back shoulder throws, jump ball, under thrown balls, just not fair when a reciever has to stop, come back to the ball and another athlete is supposed to not run into him at full speed, but reward the offense for what...a poorly thrown ball?

Latest posts