What other Big Ten coaches are saying about the game

paulzoss

The Big Ten network got several other Big Ten coaches to comment (anonymously) on Iowa versus Michigan State. For the most part, it sounds like they don't give Iowa much of a chance. This is a summary of what they said:

“[Iowa] is in the huddle [a long time], they run the ball, they take their time, they eat up the clock. Every possession for you becomes so critical.â€￾ “The running backs we saw were good—not great.â€￾ “[Michigan State has] the best defensive front in the Big Ten.â€￾ “The one thing you have to do to beat Michigan State—which I don’t think Iowa does very well—and that is throw the football.â€￾

“How do you defend [Michigan State]? Commit to stopping the run.â€￾ “If they are going to beat you, make them throw it. They really have only one good receiver in (Aaron) Burbridge. Cook goes to him a lot. Find a way to take him out of the game. And you have to hit Cook. But Iowa isn’t very good at getting pressure. They aren’t a huge blitz or pressure team. They line up in base stuff. And they keep everything in front of them so they don’t give up big plays.â€￾ “t’s not like they are challenging you in man-to-man.â€￾ "Cook may sit back there and pick them apart.â€￾ “[Iowa doesn't] have great skill at safety.â€￾ “They don’t have anyone who puts any fear in you in the secondary as a cover guy.â€￾ “King, is good, but he isn’t great.â€￾ “[Iowa isn't] great on defense. They are just solid. They aren’t going to out-scheme you. They are going to keep the ball in front of them and make you beat them.â€￾ [FONT=&amp]“f Connor Cook is on, they will beat Iowa because you can throw the ball over the top on Iowa.â€￾[/FONT]

Is this accurate, or is this sour grapes?

The consensus I got from that is also why I think we don't get much respect in the media. We don't do anything great. We don't do anything that jumps off the page and grabs your attention.

However, what they are overlooking, and the main reason for our success, is that we do pretty much everything well. We don't have any real weaknesses. We also play very well as a team. That is why I think we will beat Michigan State.

Just earlier tonight when I was watching a season highlight video Jordan Canzeri's top end speed stood out to me. I always thought Wadley was faster but I'm not so sure.

I bring this up becauseI think he's way underrated and could be a difference maker just as he was against Nebraska. With that said if Spartys front shuts him down, were probably toast. Passing game is not good enough to win without a balanced attack.

The Big Ten network got several other Big Ten coaches to comment (anonymously) on Iowa versus Michigan State. For the most part, it sounds like they don't give Iowa much of a chance. This is a summary of what they said:

“[Iowa] is in the huddle [a long time], they run the ball, they take their time, they eat up the clock. Every possession for you becomes so critical.” “The running backs we saw were good—not great.” “[Michigan State has] the best defensive front in the Big Ten.” “The one thing you have to do to beat Michigan State—which I don’t think Iowa does very well—and that is throw the football.”

“How do you defend [Michigan State]? Commit to stopping the run.” “If they are going to beat you, make them throw it. They really have only one good receiver in (Aaron) Burbridge. Cook goes to him a lot. Find a way to take him out of the game. And you have to hit Cook. But Iowa isn’t very good at getting pressure. They aren’t a huge blitz or pressure team. They line up in base stuff. And they keep everything in front of them so they don’t give up big plays.” “t’s not like they are challenging you in man-to-man.” "Cook may sit back there and pick them apart.” “[Iowa doesn't] have great skill at safety.” “They don’t have anyone who puts any fear in you in the secondary as a cover guy.” “King, is good, but he isn’t great.” “[Iowa isn't] great on defense. They are just solid. They aren’t going to out-scheme you. They are going to keep the ball in front of them and make you beat them.” [FONT=&amp]“f Connor Cook is on, they will beat Iowa because you can throw the ball over the top on Iowa.”[/FONT]

Yeah so these coaches knew what was coming and they still couldn't beat it. BAM. I also think teams create turnover margin over time. It's not luck.

Does our D keep everything in front of them or do they let them pass over the top?... Which is it?

Seriously, which coach said this? Harbaugh?

“f Connor Cook is on, they will beat Iowa because you can throw the ball over the top on Iowa.â€￾

"King, is good, but he isn’t great."

LOL, he was voted Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year...

Vanilla vanilla vanilla. They just don't do anything sexy. Don't have any standouts no great players. What we do have is a team that is 12-0! Do we still have the honor of leading the conference in plays of at least 40 yards. Am I missing something here? Sounds like a lot of coaches that got schooled by the Hawks. Blah blah blah we can beat them their not that good. After we beat them they come up with all kinds of crap as to why they lost. Have heard this for a very long time. Like about 15 years worth. Vanilla vanilla vanilla!

Th Big Ten network got several other Big Ten coaches to comment (anonymously) on Iowa versus Michigan State. For the most part, it sounds like they don't give Iowa much of a chance. This is a summary of what they said:

“[Iowa isn't] great on defense. They are just solid. They aren’t going to out-scheme you. They are going to keep the ball in front of them and make you beat them.â€￾ [FONT=&amp]“f Connor Cook is on, they will beat Iowa because you can throw the ball over the top on Iowa.â€￾[/FONT]

Ok, so which one is it? Keeps the ball in front of them or gets beat over the top? More taste or less filling?

Iowa's going to ram it right down the throat of the defense. A collective forced deepthroat. The Hawks haven't really had to open up their passing game because they've dominated & controlled every opponent this year. Its a big stretch and wishful thinking to assume our passing attack wouldn't be equally as effective. Sounds like opposing teams don't like the taste of a Hawkeye beatdown. "Anonymous coaches? King is good not great?" Does not sound like a Big Ten coach to me - zero crediblity. More likely a talking mouth stirring the pot. Open wide...the bullies are back and you will swallow!!!

Not a lot to glean from this, especially since we don't know who the coaches were. I'd be most interested in hearing from the coaches that played both teams Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska.

Nothing very sexy in how IOWA wins, especially down the stretch. But it says a lot that IOWA has not been behind since the Illinois game.

I agree with everything here except the fact that Iowa can't run on Michigan states defensive front. I heard the same thing about how good Pitt was, Wisconsin was, northwestern was, Minnesota was, Nebraska, all those teams had great d-lines, NFL caliber. Iowa will run on them just like everyone else.

I love Desmond King, but he hasn't been the elite shutdown CB the last two weeks.

Latest posts