What other Big Ten coaches are saying about the game

I agree with everything here except the fact that Iowa can't run on Michigan states defensive front. I heard the same thing about how good Pitt was, Wisconsin was, northwestern was, Minnesota was, Nebraska, all those teams had great d-lines, NFL caliber. Iowa will run on them just like everyone else.

I love Desmond King, but he hasn't been the elite shutdown CB the last two weeks.

I just think that ever since he hit 8 INTs he's been looking too hard for that last one. Hopefully Cook's accuracy will keep King honest. I'd have a hard time taking Blough and Armstrong seriously and I'd be jumping routes all over the place, too. But yeah, King just needs to get back to what he was doing before instead of trying too hard to get that 9th INT.

the comment about winning games 10-6, 12-10 ****** me off. Iowa has scored under 28 points in big 10 play one time.

I agree with everything here except the fact that Iowa can't run on Michigan states defensive front. I heard the same thing about how good Pitt was, Wisconsin was, northwestern was, Minnesota was, Nebraska, all those teams had great d-lines, NFL caliber. Iowa will run on them just like everyone else.

I love Desmond King, but he hasn't been the elite shutdown CB the last two weeks.

Why, because he's dropped a few INT chances? He's still not letting anyone beat him on his side of the field. Shutdown corners don't have to rack up interceptions every week.

Not a lot to glean from this, especially since we don't know who the coaches were. I'd be most interested in hearing from the coaches that played both teams Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska.

Nothing very sexy in how IOWA wins, especially down the stretch. But it says a lot that IOWA has not been behind since the Illinois game.

I could be wrong, but I think we were trailing right before half time against the hoosiers

They can think over their opinion as they sit home Saturday watching the game instead of playing in it.
Fact is Iowa has been a steady Eddy all season with balance and consistency. Iowa knows who they are and has an identity which many teams don't.

So teams know what Iowa does, and how to beat them, and they know Iowa isn't great at anything...and yet Iowa went 12-0?

k

its not effing rocket science that Iowa's defense keeps plays in front of them and they make you "earn it" or make you beat yourself (Tommy Armstrong). They've been doing the same thing since the Norm Parker days.

My feelings are this...if you go back to Devaney, Osborne, Bo, Woody, Paterno, those guys did what they did and didn't care if you knew it. Their philosophy was simple...we do what we do better than you do what you do...now try to out execute us.

We are vanilla, to a fault, we are safe to a fault. However, I heard a very interesting comment from a talking head after the Nebraska win. He basically said schools like Iowa every 4-5 years put together a team capable of winning on the big stage. He said it is when the Jr. and Sr. class lines up together after being redshirted then Iowa is capable of beating anyone. I believe it was one of the recruiting guru's and I thought it was a valid point...look at our current roster.

“f Connor Cook is on, they will beat Iowa because you can throw the ball over the top on Iowa.â€￾[/FONT]

20+ yard passes allowed:
Iowa 37 (69th nationally)
MSU 46 (104th)

30+ yard passes allowed:
Iowa 11 (19th)
MSU 18 (77th)

If CJ Beathard is on, we will beat MSU because you can throw the ball over the top on MSU.

My feelings are this...if you go back to Devaney, Osborne, Bo, Woody, Paterno, those guys did what they did and didn't care if you knew it. Their philosophy was simple...we do what we do better than you do what you do...now try to out execute us.

We are vanilla, to a fault, we are safe to a fault. However, I heard a very interesting comment from a talking head after the Nebraska win. He basically said schools like Iowa every 4-5 years put together a team capable of winning on the big stage. He said it is when the Jr. and Sr. class lines up together after being redshirted then Iowa is capable of beating anyone. I believe it was one of the recruiting guru's and I thought it was a valid point...look at our current roster.

It is a valid point, IMO. A lot of schools play underclassmen, the freak athletes who go pro early. Iowa recruits players who are more than willing to spend 5 years at a university. iowa also recruits the right players for that system as well. The ones who are hungry and determined. The walk-ons, castaways, 3-stars who want to prove to the world that they can play at this level. =

I still never understand why Iowa can't recruit a guy like Melvin Gordon (ok bad example) or a Derrick Henry or Elliot. Iowa almost always has an above average O-line and if you're a stud RB Iowa will give you the ball 30 times a game. Hell, Iowa made Mark Weismann look like a stud.

Latest posts